How can I stream Neil Young Archives in High Res?

stream what you hear:
https://www.streamwhatyouhear.com/

You run this in the background on your PC where you’ve logged into NYA.

It shows up in my tray as a running program. (icon hard to see with dark background by the way). Right click the icon to get to settings.

Choose “settings” then you can choose to stream to a network device as a PCM stream or mp3.

Not sure why, but I had to put the value 5901 in the settings for USE SPECIFIC HTTP port and tick that box.

Right click icon and choose “tools” then “HTTP Live Streaming”. Then copy the URL it gives you. Paste this URL into Roon the same way you would an internet radio stream URL and give it a name that makes sense (Peter’s SWYH PC Stream).

You’ll need to turn off the audio on the computer accessing the NYA website otherwise you’ll hear music from both your PC and your music system. There will be a bit of a buffering so it takes a few seconds to start.

p.s. I initially found that I had problems streaming on NYA using Firefox webbrowser when streaming hi-res. But I had no issues using Google Chrome browser. This was a known problem that I think has been fixed, but I still use Chrome as it doesn’t interfere with my other use of firefox.

EDIT: this is how I can listen to SiriusXM in a backdoor way through my home system as well. Stream SiriusXM on my PC website then rebroadcast using SWYH

1 Like

Thanks. Apple user. Do you get 192/24?

using the SWYH approach I only attempt to stream 16/44.1 since that is what SWYH is restreaming to my player.

Ok got it. I can get the same via AirPlay from my Mac I think. I’ll try that.

Do you like NYA? I have just about every record he made. Worth it?

Yep, love NYA. I could complain about the “not that easy to navigate” website. But I love the timeline view where I can select albums, play them, and dig into some of the archival material posted about the songs. Also often has interesting videos, concerts, etc. available for view. I find it well worth it. I signed up on day one at $19.99 a year. I think it’s gone to $29 a year. But still a bargain.

EDIT: I probably own 90% of all his albums, but still find the website worthwhile.

2 Likes

Coming to BluOS in North America

http://bluos.net/2020/01/neil-young-archives-high-res-streaming-content-being-added-to-bluesound-and-nad-electronics-in-north-america/

1 Like

Too bad I’m using an Rpi/digiberry end point.

I wish ability to access these archives could be added to many services. Given this BlueOs info, I’ll contact NYA laying out why expanding this would help them with subscribers.

1 Like

@garym That would be totally awesome!!! I would subscribe in a heartbeat if it was integrated somehow with Roon!!!

of course they may or may not listen to me! can’t hurt to try.

1 Like

Hi Peter, maybe something for you … I use an Allo Kali relocker and Allo piano 2.1 all together on a RP3+ and a linear PSU 3.5A the software RopieeXL and using ROON remote. Works like a charm my audio streams are up to DSD256 and lowest 44/16
Cheers!
Max

@Max_Mackenzie Max, thanks. Not sure, though, how your kit would let me stream from an Imac in hi-res (??)

Hi Peter, on my Mac I have the ROON core running. The audio data resides on RAIDS. And RopieeeXL is the endpoint :hugs:

Unfortunately, I don’t think this will help get the audio from Neil Young Archives (web access only).

The irony is that NeilYoung preaches high resolution audio, but there is no way to actually play it from NYA from your computer to your stereo unless your Mac is sitting next to your stereo. Bah!

Anyone know of software that appears as a virtual sound card but directs the output to DLNA/UPNP (ie renderable by the op’s Yamaha)? Does Bubble UPNP do that?

A post up thread from days ago…

Right. I use a Mac though.

Exactly. Drives me crazy.

1 Like

That is the cheapest and easiest way to protect his IP. Otherwise, if you could redirect the streams, you could just save it to file.