How can I stream Neil Young Archives in High Res?

Unless your computer is your stereo. Macs aside, my PC with its new sound card easily matches and surpasses many DACs. Paired with powered Studio Monitors, it is awesome actually.

Yep, and this works well when I listen to the NYA in my office at work where I have a nice computer setup and good speakers connected. But at home my music system is distributed (computer in back room, streaming to systems around the house).

1 Like

Yup. Ditto.

Ok, I am a huge Neil fan. I have about a dozen albums on vinyl, many of them the NYA remixes which are simply fantastic.

I spent a few minutes on the NYA site, and with a bit of trial and error (not a great navigation site) I found a way to purchase a high-res version of an album. The Warner Music site that houses his “Greedy Hand Store” seems to be almost down - very little selection in either digitial or vinyl.

However, there is an option to purchase from Orastream (also called XStream). If you are a NYA subscriber, you can purchase an album for $12.90 in their High Rez format (24/192). Then load this on your Roon server, it will stream to your RasPi/HifiBerry endpoint.

I can’t find a way to stream from the site, but you can purchase and listen in hi-res. So maybe I am not totally answering your question but rather giving you a means to get to high-res Neil.

As a side note, I have never seen him live - and I am Canadian! That could be a reason to lose citizenship. He is now #1 on my list of artists to see live. I am on an email list to be notified of all tour/concert news.

Thanks for the response. Yes, I found that site as well, and will fill-in my very few holes of non-Hi-Res music this way.

I’ve seen him many times, and the best one was in 2015, when I was about 10 feet away from the stage. It was astounding

I sent this letter to the NYA “Archivist” (the manner one sends letters to NYA)>

I’m an inaugural subscriber to NYA and very much enjoy the site. For many of us, having to play music through our computers or smart devices connecting to NYA is a step backwards when we have our computer music server in a different room than our stereo systems. I am pleased that NYA recognizes that the ability to play hi-res archive content via one’s existing audio system is important. The work with NAD and Bluesound is an important step in the right direction. NYA subscribers would also appreciate a way to play NYA audio via other popular systems such as Roon Labs or LMS/Squeezeboxes. This can be done in a way that requires NYA users to be confirmed as authorized users via a user login requirement as will be done with the Bluesound approach. Thanks for listening.

This was the response. We’ll see.

Hello—
Thanks for reaching out and being such a loyal fan!

As we’re sure you can imagine, Neil receives lots of personal stories, questions and other messages from fans every day, which he truly appreciates. We log these, and the Archivist then compiles a selection each week that are passed on to Neil to review at a convenient moment.

So while we cannot guarantee a response to your message, we can confirm that it has been read and may be passed on to Neil. We recommend you keep an eye on the NYA Times-Contrarian where letters will be answered from time to time.

Thanks for your patience and for your support of NYA!
—The Archives Team

1 Like

I just got an identical response !!!

I’m sure the more of us that bring this point up, the more likely they’ll look at it closely. But when it comes to Neil, one has to abandon a certain amount of logic. Neil has his own logic. And more power to him…that’s what makes him great.

2 Likes

My letter requesting ability to stream NYA through our systems was published in the NYA Times Contrarian on 2/1/2020. That’s good. Neil’s response was: “Thanks, NY, Forwarded to the team”. That’s good too. Another letter about a ROKU app for the videos. That would be nice as well.

Fingers crossed.

@garym Wow, most impressive!! Publication in the NYATC!!!

We are going to see the Light up the blues show in LA on 5/30. I’ll probably bring it up to Neil then. :wink:

1 Like

I see now that NYA is streaming through Blu OS. I wonder if how they could be persuaded to stream in a Roon-friendly way?

1 Like

USA and Canada only

Ok I have an iMac mini next to my Devialet with built in Dac , what resolution will I get optical please?

Hmm. I just got a Topping DX3 that plays my Neil Young stuff in 192 through Roon. If I stream from the Archives, though, I’m only getting 44.1k.

Any thoughts kids?

how are you playing the neil young archives through Roon exactly?

Got it working. Playing thru browser, not Roon

got it. Yep, I’ve had it through browser all this year. I thought you’d figured out a way to access the stream directly via Roon.