How Do I Add Title and Track Names to a Ripped CD

I just ripped a bunch of CDs to the SSD in my Nucleus and one of those CDs didn’t appear with any info. It’s probably because it was a small local band with not much of a following.

I tried hitting ‘Edit’ > ‘Identify Album’ and entered the artists name and album title but it disappeared after I went back to view all my albums. What am I doing wrong?

Hi @NipperDog,

Can you elaborate on exactly what occurred here? Are you not seeing this album at all anymore in Roon? Were you able to successfully identify the album before it disappeared?

1 Like

Sorry I wasn’t more clear Dylan. No, the album remains and is playable after I try to add its title and track names but the info that I’ve added reverts back to showing that the album hasn’t been identified.
Here’s what I see after I try to manually identify the album:

Try adding file tags to the ripped files using a file tagging program such as mp3tag

As a bare minimum the tags should include:
Album
Album Artist
track artist
track number
track title
year
genre

Then try having Roon identify the album. If Roon still doesn’t identify the album, don’t why because Roon will just use the information from the file tags.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Sorry, but I didn’t understand this part of what you wrote.

I think Ralph meant “If Roon still doesn’t identify the album, don’t worry because Roon will just get the information from the file tags.”

1 Like

Exactly right!

You can either use Roon to Edit the Album (use the Edit Album tab in the Album Editor - not the “Identify Album” button), or a 3rd-party tag editor as Ralph suggests to edit the metadata in the ripped files.

1 Like

Thanks Geoff, I was able to get the album title and the track names added but I’m not sure how to add the artwork. I clicked on Album Artwork > Add Image but then it asks me to paste URL from clipboard. Where can I find ‘clipboard’ because I have no idea what that means?

OK, I suspect that you are using an iPad or an Android tablet as your Roon Control device? On a PC or a Mac you would see an additional option to select an image file on your PC/Mac.

With this “Clipboard” option, you’re going to have to find the cover art as an image using your browser, and once you’ve found it, copy the link in your browser (the URL) to your tablet’s clipboard, then touch this “Paste URL from clipboard” button.

TBH, I find it easier to use a PC or a Mac for this, because then it’s easy to save an image from the web to the PC/Mac and then add the image file into Roon.

1 Like

Yes Geoff, I am using an iPad for Roon and I’m on a Mac. I found the image that I want to use and have it on the desktop of my Mac.

What I don’t know is where to find this Clipboard thingy you’re speaking of. Is it found somewhere on my Mac or is it on my iPad? Is it an app that I have to download on either device?

It’s part of the operating system on a PC, Mac or iPad…

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-view-the-clipboard-on-a-mac

1 Like

Hi @NipperDog,

Did Geoff’s link help here? When you copy something, whether it be an image or text, it’s saved to your clipboard. So if you were to copy the URL you can paste it by choosing that button.

1 Like

I’m afraid it didn’t help me Dylan. Because I couldn’t find an image of the album on the internet, I tried copying the photo I have of the album in iPhoto and every time I try to paste it into artwork, I get this message.

If you have the image saved as a file on your Mac (as you wrote in an earlier message), then you can use Roon on your Mac to add the image into the Album details

2 Likes

I didn’t have the Roon desktop application, after I downloaded it and was able to add the artwork! Thanks so much to you Geoff and the Roon team for being there!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.