How do I create a drive for Music on internal SSD

Nuc with internal SSD connectet with LAN to Naim.

How do I store/import Music on/to the internal drive? There is no folders in the storage map except if connect an external usb drive.

Hi @Steen_Andersen1,

Just to verify, is this NUC running ROCK? If so, check out these instructions detailing how to access the internal drive over the network.

If you have any questions about those instructions please let me know!

The NUC is running ROCK. I can acces the internal drive the way you describe. But the STORAGE folder is empty. And if I create a folder, I can’t store / import any music to it.

If I put in an external USB a folder appear.

Hi @Steen_Andersen1,

Can you confirm that you formatted the internal storage drive from the web interface, as described here?

I have followed point 1 (the blue marked). I have read point 2 (the blue marked) as a matter if I choose storage on an external USB. And that is not what I want.

Just making sure you are trying to put music on the 2nd drive in the NUC? The system drive is just for the OS and roon database.

You asked this question slightly differently elsewhere, and I answered it:

You store music on the internal Music folder either by:

• copying music folders over the network to the InternalStorage folder, or
  • Dragging and dropping the folders onto the Roon window, and Roon will import them into your library, or
  • If you have a CD drive attached to your NUC, you can rip CDs using it, and Roon will import the ripped files into your library.

How do I find the 2nd drive?

Hi @Steen_Andersen1,

Did you install a second drive in your NUC? As noted in our KB, you can add music to a secondary internal drive, but not the drive that is being used for the OS. This would be a second drive that is installed and formatted via the Web UI.

My NUC is a BOXNUC7i7BNH. And I have installed 16 GB RAM and a 1000 GB SSD

OK - so is the 1TB SSD a 2.5" form factor? And you haven’t installed a second SSD with the M.2 form factor? If so, then you’ve installed ROCK on the 2.5" drive, and since that’s where the OS resides, you cannot use it for music storage.

You need to install a second SSD - one with an M.2 form factor, and then reinstall ROCK on to that drive. Then you will be able to access the 1TB SSD, format it, and use it for music storage.

The SSD is a NVMe M2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus. I am not sure that there is room for another SSD on my NUC.

A friend of mine has mapped a drive on the same SSD along with the DATA drive were the ROCK is installed. On that drive is his music stored.
I just don’t seem to have permission to make a new drive. Maybee because I am logged in as guest.

You said that you had a NUC7i7BNH - this has room to install a second 2.5" drive. You should do this and use it to store your music on.

And if your friend has mapped a drive on the Roon OS SSD, then he/she is just asking for trouble. Roon Labs has always said this should not be done. If ever Roon OS needs to be re-installed, that music folder will be blown away.

1 Like

Thank you for the advice. I think I will buy another SSD. It makes good sense.

And now it works.
Thanks for al the comments and help. I will advice my friend to do the same even if he has succeeded with having files on the same drive as the systems.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.