How do I create this hierarchy?

Content you’re reporting an issue with

I ripped my CD and this hierarchy appeared. and I and very interested to replicate this to other Cds

Have you made any edits to this content in Roon?

Is the album identified in Roon?

Is this content from local files, TIDAL, or Qobuz?

Screenshot of import settings

Description of the issue

Thanks, Interesting. I need to figure out what is creating this then. Thanks

Oh I wasn’t complete. So, Roon gets this information from external databases like TiVo (AllMusic.com), transparently, when it cross-references your imported music with its data sources.

If you want to do this on your own for albums in which this hierarchy is NOT coming from external databases, you will need to edit your tags per the above article, THEN you will need to set the track display for the album to prefer your local tags per:

Also, the ability discussed in File Tag Best Practice is only for music files you own, it does not work for streaming files.

1 Like

Yeah, I do that but not extensively

Except the Box set does not exist (yet ) in AllMusic
So Roon can’t identify it

https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=152420&forumID=1&archive=0

In this instance, Roon identified the release, and automatically applied works and parts. However, to achieve this manually, use the WORK and PART tags. In the example you provided, the first work is “Star Wars”, and the parts are all the same as the track name.

In the following example, Roon does this for The Lexicon of Lover (Deluxe Edition), so I added the tags using an editor.

2 Likes

Thanks What Editor are you using ? I am using mp3tag

Lucky for you, that is a perfect opportunity to do this yourself using the instructions detailed on this page. :smiley:

I’m using Tagger in the example.

Roon also recognizes Work as Composition , Part as Movement interchangeably

I had already tagged a lot of classical with Composition and Movement pre - Roon and they were recognized with no problem.

You need a tag editor that allows for Custom Tags , I believe MP3 Tag does , I used JRiver music centre as that was my library system at the time.

Also you may wish to consider SongKong which automagically does that lookup from either MusicBrainz or Discogs . The developer @paultaylor is a regular contributor to this community

1 Like

@Andre a summary SongKong of classical options can be found here, with the free SongKong Lite version you can run in preview mode and see the results in detail to see if it works for you.

1 Like

Thanks Paul.

Thanks Martin

1 Like

Looks like what I want to do is Song Grouping. I’ll do some experimentations and will let you know.

So if any database show the kind of hierarchy, you need to create 2 tags ( WORK and PART )
Re-scan your library
and the in META PREFERENCE in Multi-Part Composition select prefer file.

Actually, there are 3 tags to work with; there is Work, Part, and Section. As shown in Roon’s File Tag Best Practice. If you missed Section, it was added later in it’s own small section with Example.

As of Roon 1.7, the SECTION tag is also supported for multi-level works:

TRACKNUM : 1
    WORK     : Le nozze di Figaro (The Marriage of Figaro), opera, K. 492
    SECTION  : Act 1
    PART     :  Atto Primo: N. 1 Duettino: Cinque... dieci... venti... trenta

TRACKNUM : 2
    WORK     :  Le nozze di Figaro (The Marriage of Figaro), opera, K. 492
    SECTION  : Act 1
    PART     : Atto Primo: Recitativo: Cosa stai misurando
1 Like

Thanks, I need to find a way to implement this with Soundtracks. If useful of course

According to your Pic above, it would be

Work: Star Wars
Part: Main title

Work: Star Wars
Part: Princess Leia’s Theme

Work: The Empire Strikes Back
Part: The Asteroid Field

Work: The Empire Strikes Back
Part: The Imperial March

etc etc.

So for each track you would add the Work and Part, then afterwards inform Roon to use the tag information and then rescan to update the information.