How do I get Roon to forget about a endpoint?

I recently purchased an Auralic Aries G1 this is directly connected to my Meridian DSP3100 speakers via SPDIF (the speakers are 96khz capable). Roon core runs on a QNAP TS-451+.

Auralic have issued a Beta firmware update that allows the G1 to carry out processing, for example downsampling/upsampling when used as a Roon endpoint. The previous firmware didn’t allow this so Roon carried out the processing before sending the stream to the G1.

There does appear to be an issue with DSD processing though, it would appear that Roon doesn’t think the G1 is capable of DSD to PCM conversion (when it is), so Roon carries out the DSD to PCM conversion itself.

When I look at the device setup page for the G1 there is no mention of a DSD playback strategy.

I wondered if there was a way of getting Roon to remove all traces of my G1 so I could add it again as a new endpoint in the hope of resolving the issue? Disabling it and Enabling does not work - the device is still technically there, changing the IP address does not present it as a new endpoint either.

Any ideas?

Hello @anon14379623,

Thanks for contacting support, I’d be happy to assist here. Generally speaking, the device reports it playback capabilities to Roon and Roon will only list the options that are available. Since you have updated to the beta firmware, have you also enabled DoP playback in the Aries settings? I would try to enable this feature, disable software volume and then check to see if you have DSD option listed in Device Setup afterwards. Please let me know if this helps.

Thanks,
Noris

1 Like

I really like support responses with more answers than questions. Good work!

1 Like

Hi @noris
Thank you for the suggestion. I don’t have the option in the Aries settings to enable DoP playback

If I move the DSD to PCM slider then Roon does send DSD direct to the Aries, however as there is no PCM conversion being performed by the Aries there is no sound as my speakers are not DSD capable.

In addition the DSD playback strategy still does not appear in the device setup page
Nick

Hello @anon14379623,

Currently, it is not possible to use the AURALiC ARIES G1’s DSD to PCM resampling feature when streaming to the device using Roon Ready playback. As you have noticed, enabling the Convert DSD to PCM option causes Roon to detect that the device does not have DSD support and thus triggering Roon to convert DSD to PCM before being sent to the device.

-John

Thank you for the reply @john.

Which part of the chain is not allowing this, the Aries G1 not telling Roon the correct information or Roon not able to interpret what it is being told ? Auralic have not even had the courtesy to respond to my post in their community on the subject.
Nick

Incase it is of value to others, I have now received the response from Auralic that DSD to PCM conversion will remain a ‘Roon task’. I have asked them to make it clear in their documentation - they have yet to respond to that request.
Nick

Good luck with that.