How do i know if my ssd is failing

Roon Core Machine

Roon Rock Nuc I7

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

Since the 2.0 update i have seen my rock restart overnight and 32000 local files have been deleted. I had this happen about two weeks ago. Removed the 2 tb ssd and reformat and reloaded just to have the tracks be dumped again. Is this a hard drive failure or is there another possible cause?

Hey @Will_Hoddinott,

Thanks for your patience as we continue to work through each thread. After reviewing your account, I’m seeing both a ROCK as well as a Nucleus as core devices. Is this correct?

If you’re still running into issues here, please replicate the issue and take note of the date and time, and share that information here.

I’ll be on standby for your reply :+1:

I only use the Rock. I have replaced my ssd with ONE twice the size as the 2 tb was nearly full. I did this about a month ago and wiped the Roon database and settings at the same time.

System appears stable now but my history is of course gone.

A couple of interesting things that i never could understand. On the previous install ( prior to the database wipe and new ssd) i had about 5-8 albums that persisted as recently played even though i had not played them in months even years. Also there seemed that something was always playing even though no device had anything playing.
Yesterday I installed a backup made before the ssd swap and database reset and the same 5-8 albums showed as recent plays or had trouble locating the albums. Anyway, i cancelled the backup before it was completely done out of fear that the problem may have roots there.
I reloaded the latest backup(made a few days ago after the reset) and all fine. Just a little sad to have lost my favourites and play history from 6 years.

The former ssd appears to be ok on a windows machine but have not done comprehensive testing.

Hey @Will_Hoddinott,

That is odd behavior indeed! I’m sorry to hear you’ve lost your history in the process of the reset.

There is a small chance that past corruption could re-appear on a fresh SSD. That said, you could always make a recent backup (sounds like you’ve already done this) as a failsafe, then load the older backup prior to the restore.

If you do this, and reproduce the above issues a few times, and share some timestamps we could take a closer look into what might be happening.

Let me know your thoughts! :pray:

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.