How do you filter compilations out of the album listing of production credits?

I’m sure I’m just missing this, but when I look at the albums under the “production” section for a big producer, say Glyn Johns, I see tons of compilations. I’m using the focus filter but it seems that “compilation” and “production” are both listed as a “type” in the filter. I can’t seem to filter out compilations that are the “production” type…if that makes sense. The compilations tag seems to only work for the producer’s appearances on an album, not ones they actually produced. I’ve tried the combo of focus filter and text filter and I can show all the compilations by typing in “various”, but I can’t seem to negate that in the text filter.

I’m hoping there’s an easy way to do this. It makes looking at production credits virtually unusable as all the big producers/engineers have oceans of compilations to their credit. The best solution I have so far is just to sort by release date as most of the compilations are newer.

Thanks for the help!

Edit: I mean specifically for albums not in my library…so in Qobuz or Tidal.

This should work? Focus on producer and compilation, then invert compilation

1 Like

Ah yes. That does work and it points out an oversight in my post. I mean for albums not in my library. Sorry for the mistake.

Edit: And thank you for the detailed screenshots…

There’s generally not much you can do for albums that are not in your library. I don’t even try. I think it comes down to this recent post I wrote about something similar:

1 Like

I just read that post earlier this morning! It might be what prompted me to write this post actually. Haha! Thank you for the help and quick response. Looks like you are likely correct. Still holding out hope though.

1 Like

I am sure it will come, everyone who uses Roon for database stuff more than a short time knows it has to happen, and Brian’s post that I linked leaves no doubt that they know :slight_smile: It must be a lot of work though and needs a lot of cloud infrastructure. It would be so, so cool, so let’s keep fingers crossed

1 Like

Yeah. And I think you were absolutely right to link your previous post. This is likely the same issue and I do understand that they can’t store the metadata for the entire qobuz/tidal library in our Roon databases. That definitely makes sense. Seems like they’re pulling in “production” and “compilation” types from their online metadata sources though because I have them on albums not in my library. Doesn’t seem far fetched to assume you could filter by production then compilation instead of one or the other. I’m also likely not fully understanding the technical nuances required to do this…

I am not at all an expert on this either, but I suppose it’s straightforward to download the credits for one non-library album that one is looking at in Roon vs having a search or database query that goes through 50 million streaming albums and finding a particular composer credit in all of them, then combining it with another search through 50 millions albums for compilation, and presenting the result

1 Like