How Do You Fund Your Audiophile Purchases?

Hello! I saw that many of you have many products, they are sometimes really expensive, and sometimes while they are more affordable, there are so many of them. I’m keen to know, in your life, what did you do, or any tips/tricks you have on how to fund your expensive purchases.

This may be a career question, it may be a where to get the best discounts question, it may be a anything, but let’s keep it away from being a motivational talk. xD Thank you.

1 Like

Hmm. Save until I can afford what I want.

7 Likes

Get a good education and a great career. Don’t purchase expensive non-essential stuff until you have done both.

9 Likes

Here you go. Highly entertaining!

1 Like

My principle of spending for fun — audio, live music, skiing in remote places (sadly both on hold because of covid): only do it if I would be OK losing that money outright. Which just happened in March when I had to cancel a long-planned skiing trip in the Italian Alps and lost all of its considerable cost. I was sad to miss the planned trip because of covid, but losing the money did not even register, which made the decision pretty easy.

These days, you can get a pretty nice headphone setup for ~US $500.

2 Likes

Rob banks , you probably have to wear a mask at present :star_struck:

1 Like

Since everyone else is wearing a mask, maybe a robber should not wear a mask. Otherwise, how do you tell them apart?

3 Likes

My 70 th birthday trip to South America went the same way , fortunately we hadn’t paid fot thetrip just the flights that was enough …

2 Likes

Never buy new - auiophools are constantly “upgrading” and leaving bargains in their wake so if you know what you’re looking for. Or do what @Jim_F said and then buy endgame and be done with it.

6 Likes

A fool and his money are soon parted.

1 Like

I repair Quad electrostatic loudspeakers and buy various hobby items (many hobbies) with the proceeds. My wife and I also are fortunate enough to have two nice jobs. No children also helps with the disposable income…

I tend to build my own gear (or refurb the best vintage gear) which provides as good a level of performance as your skills can produce at a tiny fraction of the cost of commercial devices (simple circuits in fancy boxes). Although I use Quad speakers now (eating my own dog food), and my main system uses a Naim Atom.

Sheldon

2 Likes

Fully funded our 401ks since the 80s and my wife and I both retired with full pensions and paid medical insurance for life.

3 Likes

Sell a handful of Apple Shares

Incredible, any tips or advice you’d want to share for others to achieve what you did? :slight_smile:

Probably this. I did the same, but retired 16 years ago at age 56. I took a hit to my pension by leaving so early, but got full medical for life for my wife and me by doing so.

Corporate Controller …

Like many Audiophiles … I knew what I was looking for and simply planned for the large investment. My pieces were not all acquired at once but over time (10-15 years).

All Canadian …

Bryston components
Paradigm Floorstanding speakers
& BlueSound for wireless.

The Roon lifetime membership was an obvious no brainer (IMHO) … As it not only manages my library but allowes me to extend my system to other rooms wirelessly including my patio.

So … Take your time … Lots of great equipment out there!

3 Likes

Marry someone who’s wealthy. (No, I didn’t.)

1 Like

I make good money, but with two kids close to college-age there is always something else on which to spend money. These are some thoughts on how to make the most of a finite budget.

One suggestion for making the most of limited financial resources (as most of us face) is to focus on musical sounding components if listening to music matters more to you than the excitement of getting new, expensive components. One benefit of a focus on selecting musical components rather than the audiophile pastime of nit-picking specific aspects of equipment sound quality is that I think better musicality can maintain interest and engagement over a longer period of time as you listen to different music and discover new music.

I have personally found that expensive components are not necessarily the most musical sounding components to my ears. As an example, ultra expensive speakers, in particular, sound more analytical to me than musical. Even if I could afford to spend $20k+ on a speaker, I’m wouldn’t choose to do so based on my impressions of the speakers in that price category. The extreme focus on detail of hyper expensive speakers can result in music reproduction that loses musicality since it sounds ‘larger than life’ for lack of a better description.

Also, when buying audio equipment on a budget (which could be as low as $200-500 per component), I would suggest focusing on equipment that has “errors of omission” rather than “errors of commission”. What I mean by “errors of omission” is that a specific piece of equipment sounds highly musical, but may not provide the ultimate in resolution or detail. “Errors of commission” refers to some aspect of sound quality that is actively unpleasant. Getting that last iota of resolution or detail requires a lot of effort and cost to get right. Moreover, getting that last bit of detail often requires trade-offs in other elements of musicality. For instance, it’s much easier to make a great sounding low powered amplifier (~30-50 watts per channel) than a great sounding high powered amplifier. Higher powered amplifiers require bigger power supplies and other beefed up components that can result in a sluggish sounding result.

Figuring out how to build a system by continually swapping in new components also costs a lot of money. IMHO, System synergy is something that is best achieved by listening in person. If you don’t currently have a system with which you are satisfied, it might be a good first step to build an audio system that fits your listening preferences. For additional equipment upgrade purchases, consider buying equipment that works well with your existing components so you get an improvement in sound quality without having to buy other equipment at the same time. For instance, I just got a pair of Monitor Audio Silver 300 speakers. In addition to sounding great on its own merits, a key purchase reason was that they also sounded great with my 30 year old Creek amplifier. I’ll most likely upgrade that amplifier at some point, but not needing to replace the amplifier right away gives me the budget to improve my digital source components which an area of more immediate interest to me. Also, I can tell that I can improve my associated source and amplification components by a lot before hitting the limits of improvements that these speakers can convey.

My last thought if sound quality and musicality is a primary concern, consider allocating enough of your budget to source components that can provide the quality of sound that you desire. Having to settle for a less ideal amplifier or speakers will limit your final sound quality, but taking this approach also provides you with an upgrade path that doesn’t also require concurrent upgrades to your source components.

Finally, joking but not joking, one way to afford super expensive audio equipment is to not get married and not have kids. The amount of money that you can devote to buying audio equipment can be enormous without having to consider the needs of a spouse and kids.

4 Likes

I don’t know anyone who would trade their wife and kids for the best audio system ever built. Also, how about spending some of that money on learning to actually make music, not just listen to it.

1 Like

No, but they may trade just the wife.

1 Like