How Do You Fund Your Audiophile Purchases?

What do they call an bunch of lawyers drowned at the bottom of an abandoned quarry?

2 Likes

I’ll try to not be too repetitive here as most of the good points have been covered.

I keep an eye on eBay and Audiogon for what I want for some time. I know what I want to purchase and start by seeing what it sells for on these sites. Once I get an idea what the going price is I keep an eye out for people selling at a price that is good from a seller with good feedback. I also look to see if an item retains its value. That is harder to figure out but quality brands may take an initial hit on resale but then hold their value. Then I factor in my short term and long term plan. What can I afford today and how can I move up to where I want to be?

As an example. I like ProAc speakers. They are well reviewed and are made from quality parts with real wood veneers. I started with the ProAc Response D18 and got a pair used from Audiogon at a reasonable discount. After a few years I wanted to move up to the bigger ProAc Response D28. I was able to sell the old D18 for the same price that I paid for them so I essentially got a speaker to use for three years for free. Then I only had to shell out a little more money for the bigger D28. I’ve had the D28 now for seven years but my guess is I could get almost the same money that I paid for them or just a little less if I want to trade up again.

Another thing I do is trade up but give the old equipment to my kids (never my wife) and that is a good way to get your kids into the hobby. Now don’t jump to conclusions. My wife has no interest in this hobby. She spends her money on other things.

2 Likes

It does not have to be expensive! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fdb8wLd73Tg
After spending a lot on Cambridge Audio components and B&W speakers I moved a few times and now my apartment is too small for big components like that. Now very happy with my KEF LS50W’s, A Sonos one SL and Roon!

5 Likes

[Moderated]
The thing is if you start now, acquiring bits of gear you might find that in a few years you have been drawn in, made sacrifices elsewhere in your life to buy this or that piece of gear. You can even get a small loan if you want. It’s really a gradual process of acquisition unless you’ve had a windfall from somewhere that enables you to splash out. And as someone has already said, if you look around, you’ll find good 2nd hand bargains from audiophiles who are in the habit of discarding stuff in order to buy the latest. More often than not you’ll find you don’t need the latest gear in order to good audio quality in your home. Unless of course you’re eager to join the other extreme end of the audiophile ranks, where you enjoy using music to play your cutting edge gear instead of the other way round.

Sensible advice!

One of the more helpful posts :slight_smile:

1 Like

Agree. In my bedroom, I have Energy E:XL 16 speakers. Nothing pretty to look at but stunningly good sound. They are hooked up to an Onkyo receiver that has a Chromecast Audio puck so it can play Roon. The receiver was $300USD and you can get the speakers used on eBay for $100. The Chomecast Audio was $50USD. It really sounds awesome in every way regardless of price.

I sold both my kidneys!

3 Likes

I recently put together an excellent sounding system for my work office. It consists of all Cambridge Audio components. CX80 integrated amp, CXN streaming/DAC, and a CXC CD transport. I paired these with my old pair of Vandersteen Model 1b’s I have had since the early 1990’s.

The CXC was new but on closeout due to the new model coming out - $393

The BT100 Bluetooth dongle new for - $88 – I don’t even use this but wanted to have the option

The CX80 was refurbished purchased through Cambridge for - $428

The CXN was refurbished purchased through Cambridge for - $428

Total of $1,337. While for many people this is still a chunk of dough, it is a great sounding system for a very reasonable cost per sound quality.

If you are just getting into audio, I would go the used/refurbished route. This system truly sounds amazing. There are great deals out there if you spend the time to look for them on eBay, Accessories 4 Less and other sites.

3 Likes

Over the decades I’ve built my system, now at a level I’d never dreamed I could reach, here are the principles I’ve used:
– learn what the highest value equipment is from reading, maybe show going, and especially getting a dealer with that type of equipment. A good dealer is worth his weight in gold if his values are similar to yours.
– buying used
– recognizing that it is a long process
– buying new when necessary
Jim Heckman

1 Like

I’ve been doing this high performance audio thing for about 30 years now. I’ve only ever bought two pieces of gear new:

• VPI HW19 turntable
  • Naim Uniti Atom.

Everything else is either built by me, or used gear of some sort or refurbished.

The sound quality from a home built DAC, a rebuilt vintage tube amp and a rebuilt set of Quads is astounding for like $800 spent.

Sheldon

Cheers for you, having the ability, the confidence and the ambition to build your own.

CXN v 1 or V 2 ?

How do Connect to Roon

First, get on intermittent fasting/keto diet so you will live long enough to reach your goals. While you are young, concentrate on starting a career in the public sector with great benefits and great pension. Wealthy small towns or well funded municipalities are best. Work forever, don’t buy a home or too many cars.

Retire with a great income and investments. Don’t have any kids along the way. Set a yearly spending limit. Buy used equipment and endgame (whatever level that may be for you) first. Right now 25 to 30k will get you a kick ass SOTA 2 channel speaker and headphones, digital source, analog amplification system with used components. Make sure to have a separate DAC so you can change it as technology here is rapidly advancing.

Don’t buy European equipment that can’t be repaired in the US. There are many fine companies in the US so resist buying overpriced Chord gear that isn’t easy to get serviced. Don’t bother with vinyl or tape sources. Get a Qobuz sub and lifetime Roon. Sit back and enjoy the music and spare time.

That plan was started in 1975 when I was 23 and has kept me supplied with fantastic sounding stereo gear throughout my life. Shared rent with 1 or 2 roommates in huge homes and was driving Porsche 911 Carrera from the beginning. Was able to ditch the roommates before 27th birthday. I did not marry until I was 50 and divorced within 1 year. No Honey Do Lists and great jazz kept me sane and happy.

1 Like

I do not use ROON on this work office Cambridge system. However, the newest Cambridge Audio CXN (V2) is a ROON endpoint. I am 99% sure with a firmware upgrade, the prior CXN is also a ROON endpoint. The first version CXN I am not sure if it will work as a ROON endpoint. I use ROON at home streaming too a Marantz SR7013, Yamaha WXC-50, and two Denon Home 150 powered speakers.

You can always use a Raspberry Pi based endpoint like Allo DigiOne as a ROON endpoint to any system.

https://allo.com/sparky/digione-signature-player.html

Don’t forget, make your own coffee!

Actually, making all your own condiments is a good idea, I make my own butter, jellies, jams, ketchup, mayo, mustard, bread, tomato sauce and pasta. And beer.

1 Like

By used gear.

Or, better yet, find a different hobby. I have found over the years, I have increasingly less tolerance spending 2-4 hours on the couch listening to music on main system.

These days, I get a lot more pleasure using bluetooth to send music from phone to portable Bose speaker to listen while I get stuff done.

I recommend forgetting the audiophile arms race and spending your money on devices that enable you to have music available throughout home whatever you are doing. Of course, Roon can help with that, although it’s expensive and unnecessary if you have a phone, bluetooth speaker, and spotify account.

1 Like

Ya see, I’m too busy eating all of that to make my own.

That’s why I asked, mine is a v1 and even with firmware updates is not Roon Ready, and would seem never will be due to “technical limitations” according to CA

I use a RPi 4 Allo Digione to my main Audiolab M DAC for Roon and the CXN for. DLNA via JRiver

1 Like