How does Roon manage .dsf files?

I use latest Roon installed on intel NUC with Windows 10, and use Room remote iOS app on iPad.
I have local library which has many .dsf files, from some ripped SACD, and purchased file also.

I don’t connect any DAC directly on my NUC. I send all streams(local, Tidal & Qobuz) to Roon Ready devices (OPPO-203 and Melco N1A/2EX).
These two devices connected to Chord M-Scaler by Coaxial Digital(OPPO), USB(Melco) and both has proven that it can receive DSD format untouched from DLNA/UPNP control remote(such as mConnect and BubbleUPNP) and send to my DAC without any downsampled nor converted format but DSD and DoP with no problem.

Someone will say that OPPO UDP-203 has no way to send DoP from .dsf play through Coaxial, basically correct, but my OPPO UDP-203 has special customized PCB which has capable of extract DSD signal from HDMI signal path and send it through Coaxial by DoP signal (Max DSD 128bit).
My Melco is no questionable, it handles native DSD under x256 and max 384KHz PCM.

When I play .dsf file from library, OPPO / Melco does not shows incoming signal as DSD format.
And indeed, connected M-Scaler shows incoming signal is not DSD/DoP but 176.4KHz PCM.

I think Roon software do something during sending file from local library to playing devices, sure it convert DSD to PCM. How can I stop it and send native DSD format as it is to my playing devices?

Welcome to the Roon community, @Stephen_Park.

It would be really helpful if you shared the signal path

Do you have your DSD Strategy set as DoP in the device settings? Not sure if Oppo added in DSD for their RAAT implementation, it where first commercial devices to add Roon Ready and it was limited in its capacity.

See setting below

Oh… I can’t see these options on OPPO device setup screen. Perhaps OPPO’s RAAT has no capable of DSD playback…!!!

Indeed there is format conversion is kicked in. I have no idea where I can turn that off.
Device volume leveling is off.

Please let me know where I can find options that I can turn that off. I did find everywhere(sort of…) with no luck…

Go into Device Setup, and check DSD playback strategy.

1 Like

Click volume control, cog wheel, click on device setup and it’s an option in those settings.

But you’re out of luck for the Oppo as they dropped all their consumer Hifi and video electronics nothing more has come of it.

Oh… this is it. Done. Thanks. There is no way to enjoy multichannel DSD with OPPO by Roon. I need to stick with my own Melco Player which can do all of it except library integration capability like Roon. Thanks for answers!

The information that came with my OPPO 205 was what introduced me to Roon. Had never heard of it prior to that. What I found was that Roon to the OPPO via HDMI will play multi-channel but not DSD. It has been 4 years now but as I recall the Roon Ready Ethernet connection does play DSD but 2 channel only (no sub channel). The USB connection plays DSD and MQA but also 2 channel only (no sub channel).

Oppo discontinued audio components after the 203/205. It OPPO had continued with their audio product line the Roon Ready interface would probably have been much better with MC-DSD via Etherent.

The 205 is a very good disc player but the underdeveloped Roon Ready interface was a big disappointment for me.

Roon is still the heart of my musical enjoyment. I bought a Roon Ready DAC with the same 7.1 analog outputs for MC DSD with my surround sound entertainment system, and Roon Ready speaker systems for each room with whole house music or something different in each location.

The 205 still handles all my disc playback, 4K/IMAX movies and Blu-Ray/SACD music.

1 Like

Good to see OPPO user here, yes, I also very disappointed that OPPO stops production. My 203 is somewhat less hifi-sh than 205, but I remove all analog 7.1 board and add customized DoP extraction board, and still capable of play multichannel DSD through HDMI to my Emotiva processor, while stereo DSD is extracted and converted DoP signal, send to my Chord M-Scaler through Coaxial digital cable by this customized add-in board, which is only can use on 203.
It has indeed good and perfect configuration, and only app which can stream both MC and SC DSD to my OPPO natively is mConnect and JPlay, which are DLNA/UPNP based player.

I would like to integrate my local and stream sources such as Tidal and Qobuz, so I was testing both Roon and other one. Unfortunately OPPO is stop developing and no way to support DSD by Roon. On the other hand, my Network Streamer and Player, Melco N1 has fully capable of Roon bridge, but also only stereo DSD.

So, at this point, test is done. And what I want is impossible to accomplish by my current system with Roon. Deep regret.

1 Like

Not sure if this helps but iPhone with AK HC2 DAC plays DSD

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.