How is Voice Search in ARC?

Hi All,

How is voice search faring? What are you asking it? How is the experience?

Let me know your thoughts :slight_smile:

-Michael

Very well so far though it does get confused between track and album.
Would be useful to know what commands have been plumbed in, if any - or does it rely on Google/apple interpretation?

Great to hear. Here are the main cases it should work for:

• Play track
  • Play album
  • Play artist
  • Play composer
  • Play genre
  • Play my playlist

it does get confused between track and album.

Is this the case you’ve mentioned where playing a track or album if they both have the same name is confusing, or other cases? (ie play the track London Calling by The Clash plays the album and vice versa)

On Android Auto I can’t play an album. As already mentioned, if I ask the Google Assistant to play an album that is also the name of a track, the track will be played. If the album title does not match any track, nothing will be played.
For now it has never happened that an album was being played instead of a track

CarPlay voice search works for me. But I have done limited testing. On the road tomorrow and will give Arc voice a better workout. Searched albums, artist and playlist.

Hi @michael

I had a case where I was trying to play the album “Little Love” by Elderbrook,
i.e “Hey Siri play Little Love by Elderbrook”.
Siri would only play the track “Little Love (Little Interlude)”.

At the moment I have only tried asking for a few albums by certain artists. I did ask Siri to “Play music by Noel Gallagher” as I couldn’t Rene the name of his album that I had been listening to :grin: and Siri came back with a track by Noel Gallagher and the Chemical Brothers.

On Android Auto saying, “Play the album Breakfast in America by Supertramp” plays the song Breakfast in America, not the album. Today I said “Play Automata 2 by Between the Buried and Me” and it played some random song by BTBAM not that album.

Meanwhile I wanted to listen to 461 Ocean Boulevard by Eric Clapton and said “Play 457 Ocean Boulevard by Eric Clapton” and it got 461 Ocean Boulevard from my mistake. So it’s been hit or miss.

Hey @oneofmany - I’m so sorry to jump on the thread for but wanted to get in touch about your post about working in Rover Swindon.
My grandad was a toolmaker at Rover/Pressed Steel and was wondering if you knew him? Be great to get in touch with you if you don’t mind
Sorry I am new to this forum and couldn’t find a way to message directly!

There’s probably an easier way but I click on the avatar

Which brings up a full avatar and click on that

And bingo

1 Like

Hi @Sam_Ausden I’ve sent you a PM.

That’s the way to do it, but @Sam_Ausden is a new user, and Discourse doesn’t grant messaging capability until a new user reaches the basic user trust level…

Many people are apparently saying „play X by Y“, and based on the above it isn’t clear to me if one should instead say „play track X by Y“ or „play album X by Y“

Not much success yesterday. While playing arc in CarPlay, I would ask “play the artist moody blues in roon arc” during would return now playing moody blues in roon arc. The song currently playing would stop then nothing. This happened with two other artist as well.

Sometimes if I am playing a playlist and then use Voice Search to change tracks or albums, it fails to execute the change command. Seems to work part of the time. Have not noticed a trend as to when it works or not. iPhone 14 Max with latest Apple OS.

I have had this happen also.

1 Like

I presume this is part of Android Auto but it’s a bit disconcerting that there’s no indication that the command has been successful until the music starts playing. I’d like it to switch to the now playing screen.
I had success with both of today’s albums and considering one was The Wild the innocent and the e street shuffle, that’s :+1:t2:

Either should work! Siri/Google Assistant parse those the same way. The more specific you are “Play Don’t Speak by No Doubt” instead of “Play Don’t Speak” is always better. Let me know how you’re getting on.

1 Like

If Roon provides a test car :wink:

In the tests I have done I have always tried to be as precise as possible. The last test I did was “play the album “Hope” by Swallow the sun” but without success.
Obviously, for those who are not native English speakers (like me) they may encounter more problems than usual due to a question of correct pronunciation. The problem here is that you have no feedback from the assistant in case of failure, so you don’t know if you mispronounced some words, what you asked for is not in the library or there was some connection problem for which it is not what you asked for was found.
But here I don’t know how much of it is Roon’s or Google Assistant’s “fault”.

Thanks. Album/Track confusion is indeed a known bug.

Have you been able to play any albums? Can you try ones which don’t have tracks with the same name as the album within them? Which albums have you tried?

It would be great to know the timestamps that you tried these and we can pull logs to investigate.