How long for ROCK to 'see' CD Rips?

So I’ve just begun the arduous process of ripping my CDs through my new ROCK. My question is how long does it take for the ‘system’ to recognize the new files? I’m on my 5th CD now, but when I go into Settings–>Storage I still see the message that my file folder is empty.

I’ve tried restarting my Roon Remote app, but my ROCK is running headless and it’s difficult for me to get a monitor on it to see what’s going on, if that’s even possible.

Thanks in advance for your help!

It should be instantaneous, but it does depend on the brand and format of your storage medium.

Can you tell us what you are using, and whether the drive is internal to your NUC, or is connected via USB?

Also - tell us just how you are ripping… It is best to rip to a storage location separate from a Roon Watched folder, and then copy across the completed rip.

I would suggest you rip on another PC and then copy the files to the ROCK music storage drive.

Many use and rely on dbPoweramp.

3 Likes

If your drive is internal there should be a directory saying “InternalStorage” and if you have a USB drive there should be a directory with the Roon assigned name of the USB drive.

Should look something like this:

Edit: agree with @Rugby that using dbPoweramp would be a good option. Gives you more control and you can see the transfer happen when you copy and paste the files into the directory on the ROCK/NUC.

Since you say you have a ROCK (NUC?) presumably you’re ripping from another PC and have directed the ripping software to store the files on the internal storage in your ROCK over the network. Dumb question. Are you sure you’re ripping to your watched folder? In my experience (I rip directly to my watched folder) the albums show up immediately. A couple of reasons they’re not showing up is the obvious; you’re not ripping to the watched folder, or you have scanning turned off.

I just connected an external CD/DVD writer and external USB hard drive to my ROCK. I created a folder on the hard drive through the Roon interface called “Roon Library”. I was under the impression that the CDs would automatically rip to this folder. I’ve seen the hard drive light flash a few times near the end of some of the discs’ reading.

I don’t think it works that way. ROCK doesn’t have software to rip CDs. The Nucleus software can rip CDs but the ROCK software cannot. You need to use another PC with software like dBPoweramp to rip. Some folks say rip to a local folder then copy that to the watched folder on the ROCK. I’m assuming you’ve set the external USB drive as the watched folder. I regularly rip directly to my watched folder with no problems. Maybe i’m just lucky.

ROCK has the same CD ripping capabilities as Nucleus.

1 Like

Just not very good CD ripping capabilities.

AJ

2 Likes

I have confirmed via my PC that the CDs were ripped successfully, just not to the folder I intended. Unfortunately now, after 2 reboots, the ROCK will not recognize my hard drive. Any recommendations to fix this new issue so that I may map the correct folder for monitoring by the ROCK?

Please show us a screenshot of Roon’s Settings > Storage screen.

I just reformatted the drive and now Roon is recognizing it again. Here’s the current screenshot as it’s in process of re-ripping a disc. Will update if/when successful.

What format is the external drive , exFAT is recommended NTFS isn’t, once plugged into the NUC avoid unplugging it , it may help.

This is my ROCK with a USB drive and an internal drive

The best bet is to use a ripping software like dbPowerAmp, collecting up the riips in a folder on your main PC and then to copy these over to the NUC - USB drive . Set the folder in Settings>Storage , this is mine

again with an internal SSD and an external USB

1 Like

It does. I’ve used it. It’s pretty terrible compared to the best practice: using dBpoweramp on a separate computer. :slight_smile:

Seems to be working now. Thanks to all for your help/input. Not really interested in ripping via my PC. If I’m critically listening, I’m popping the CD in my main system. This is more for entertaining and remote listening. I’m sure these FLAC files will more than suffice for those purposes.

I have never used ROCK to rip (i Used JRiver) but are you aware that the Nucleus , and I assume the ROCK, does not produce normal track names , they are specific to Roon and only Roon and unintelligible to any other music player .

(@David_Snyder I am right am I not)

Check out what you have ripped so far on a file manager

Given the recent acquisition announcement I personally would rip my CD’s to a system independent format , ie dbPoweramp. The last thing you want to did is re-rip then if a specific format ceases to be

You Can’t, the “rip to” folder is set.

You are correct, @Mike_O_Neill. It’s a mess.

My guess is that Roon Labs added this ripping feature for Nucleus owners who do not own another computer that they can use for ripping CDs. Even if that was someone’s situation, I would advise them to buy or borrow another computer for this purpose so that they can have some reasonable organization of files with proper names, folder structure, and embedded metadata. Otherwise, the ripped files are only usable by Roon.

A fellow audio club member spent months ripping loads of CDs using their Nucleus and later asked me if there was a way to reorganize the files so that they could use them with other software. I suggested SongKong, but I don’t believe they were ever successful. If anyone has had better luck fixing the mess that Roon OS creates when ripping CDs, please comment here.

For everyone else, dBpoweramp is the best solution. JRiver is not bad, but it does not make use of the AccurateRip database, so it’s possible for some tracks to have undetected errors.

You simply use the Export function of Roon to export copies of the files to a destination folder. The process names the folders and tracks and adds in basic file metadata.

1 Like

Oh…why didn’t I think of that? Very cool. Thanks for the tip. I’ll share.