How long should Snapshooting take 24hrs?

Hello @support,

I am new to Roon. I have the Roon core on a TS-251+. The core is ona Samsung SSD 850 EVO. The first 3 days everything was fine. Now I get the message that the software is “Snapshotting Databases for Backup”. It has been doing this for 24 hours. I set the backup to be on Sunday nights. Not sure why this is happening now. Not sure what to do. Any suggestions.

Thanks

Hi @geoffrey_sims ---- Thank you for the report and sharing your observations with us, the feedback is appreciated! I have went ahead and moved your post over to the “support” section on community so we can address this behavior with you directly :wink:

Moving forward, the time it takes for a “snapshot” to complete is contingent on the size of the given DB, but this feels like something else has gone wrong. Since noticing this behavior, have you tried to reboot the NAS and try again? If so, what was the experience like?

-Eric

Hello,

I stopped Roon on the server yesterday and rebooted the server. I did not want to do it again in case it corrupted the files. It has showed the Overview screen twice yesterday. It then went right back to the snapshot message. I would turn the backup off but I cannot access the settings.

Trying again now, it shows that it is still waiting for it to connect. I believe I have about 50 GB of music on the drive.

Geoff

Hi @geoffrey_sims ----- Thank you for the follow up and providing the requested feedback.

Moving forward, while that particular NAS is a little underpowered than what we normally recommend for hosting a Roon core, this does appear to be taking longer than what we’d expect it to. In light of this, may I very kindly ask you to please upload us a set of your logs from the device hosting your core, using Chris’s instructions below.

-Eric

You can find the core’s logs in the “RoonServer” shared folder, which can be accessed by a Mac/PC over smb.

In the “RoonServer” shared folder you will see another “RoonServer” folder. It contains the Logs folder with all RoonServer logs.

You can also use FileStation within web administration of your Synology to navigate to the RoonServer shared folder and download the Logs.

Not sure how to get them to you. The upload button only allows for pics. The logs seem a bit long to take a pic or snip from notepad.

I turned off the backup feature after restarting the server. I am able to use the software again.

Hi @geoffrey_sims ---- Thank you for the follow up and touching base. Very appreciated.

I am glad that disabling the backup feature has allowed you to now operate the software successfully without issue. I would still like to have our techs take a look at your logs to see if we can pinpoint what is causing this “failure” to occur. Please use the instructions found here as a guide on how you can share your logs with us.

-Eric

Hi Eric,

Here is a link to the logs.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AnlmM_bagK8CrfNvzTr2_8X2MxFtig

Thanks
Geoff

Hi @geoffrey_sims — Thank you for touching base with me. I just grabbed the provided logs and it looks like this is an incomplete set, as the upload contains only “RoonServer_Log.01 - 04”. May I very kindly ask you to please re-supply.

I have also went ahead and provide an example below of what a complete log set should look like. Be advised that these are Roon logs I am using as an example, you will still want to provide RoonServer logs :wink:

-Eric

Hi Eric,

I have updated the link.

Thanks,
Geoff

Hi @geoffrey_sims ----- Thank you for the follow up, confirming that I have downloaded the content and will take a look to confirm that we have what we need.

-Eric

Hi @geoffrey_sims ----- Thank you for your patience while we have been looking into this behavior you’ve reported to us.

To bring you up to speed, our techs took a look at the information in the provided logs and believe that they have found a way to reproduce this issue in house. The team will continue testing, and as I am provided further feedback, I will be sure to keep you up to date with our progress.

-Eric

Thanks for your assistance.