How often do you reboot your Roon core?

It is so buggy, every day :wink:
No, but I only turn it on when listening to music, so I basically restart it daily. A WOL app even allows me to stay on the couch.

Rock running on an old NUC second hand off eBay gets rebooted on updates or when my wife unplugs the wrong bleeping plug to plug her laptop in.

5 Likes

About every two weeks I Stop Roon, clear the cache, restart Roon and then perform a manual back-up.

Linux is crazy reliable…my domain server has been up for 990 days and counting !!!

Its hosted in a datacenter with 24/365 power and AC…pity I cant run Roon on it :grimacing:

Grab 2020-04-20 at  02.26.25

1 Like

Instead of a reboot can’t you just do this -

1 Like

Core is on a headless Mac Mini - probably reboot it once a month or so, or if there is a problem with Roon, which is pretty rare.

1 Like

I have a Nucleus, and have had to reboot it 3 times in the past week due to experiencing the same issue as you.

Live Radio seems to always work, but if I switch to either Tidal or Qobuz when I hit play nothing happens.

Hi Slim, great hint!
Thanks!

1 Like

Had my MOCK running for 10 straight days but then decided to move it to another location so had to reboot it then.

Now decided to have a play with it running as the endpoint as well as server so moved it back to the room it was in originally.

Other than that, except when I screwed a database backup up and had to reinstall it, it has been as solid as a RO… I mean MOCK and I have had no need to reboot it just as a matter of course :smile:

Whenever an OS update requires it. There is no need to reboot otherwise. ROCK on NUC runs 24/7.

Other than that I do restart the Roon server if it starts playing up. By ‘playing up’ I mean the client end starts behaving as if it is wading through treacle to do anything. Searches just show the Roon jellyfish and pressing play causes very little to happen for at least 30 seconds. A restart of Roon server always fixes this. It was running for 30+ days most recently (from when last update was applied) and needed a restart a few weeks ago to clear the usual ‘playing up’ symptoms. The longest I have gone between reboots has been 100+ days previously. Currently the OS is on 40 days with Server on 17 days.

I have been running my core on a Windows 10 Home based NUC since May of 2018. Also running Plex and Sophos Anti Virus.

Other than O/S or Sophos required reboots I doubt I have rebooted more than five times to deal with a Roon issue.

Tim

Usually reboot every two/three weeks, as the performance (e.g. start playing a track) slows down over time.

Core runs on an Innuos ZENith MKII with 1GB SDD, which is obviously on the lower limit of processor power for Roon (with about 52k songs / 4K albums in DB).

Perhaps I’m lucky. Running Antipodes CX/EX Solution and never had to reboot

Pretty much never, although I do occasionally restart the container

I used to use a Mac mini for about 4 years), and, effectively, never rebooted other than for OS updates.

I have recently switched to a Nucleus, and haven’t been forced to reboot it yet.

Until a couple months ago, I seldom restarted the Core. Now I find myself having to do it almost every day. Works fine after I stop and restart the Core, but it’s aggravating.

Running Roon Server on a headless Mac Mini 2012 with Mojave; i7 x 2.3 GHz with 16GB RAM and Samsung SSD. Library is on a Synology NAS, and everything is hard-wired. This is a dedicated system. The only thing it runs is the OS, Roon, and a backup program for the NAS. Nothing has changed about the system in several years, and I’ve been a Roon lifetime subscriber since 2015.

4 Likes

I have been restarting the OS on my Nucleus whenever it breaks WiFi connection with my networked local library on a downstairs iMac. It isn’t often, but it doesn’t seem to recognize the library on its own after the networked iMac regains Wifi connection.

Once every other week the Nucleus won’t find anything without the device needing a button reboot. This includes streaming services.

The Nucleus has been down because it can’t find audio devices or libraries for a week now, and no amount of rebooting the core is helping that.

Thanks for all the data poiints. I will have to look into what causes the need to restart Roon. Win 10.

Maybe once a month for Mac Mini which is used for other things too so not always clear root cause.

yes it has been happening very frequently for me as well. the way around at least for me is to turn off the wif. then restart the app then turn the wifi back on. this way i don’t have to restart the device which is what i was having to do before i came up with that.