How often do you reboot your Roon core?

Mines a funny, i restart daily in summer, not sure in winter

We get random thunderstorms in summer that tend to fry electronics, so everything is powered down daily. This is end points network everything .?

I had v v bad experience some years back

That said i have zero performance issues with Roon.

In winter i still tend to power down

Same as @Anthony_B above - whenever an OS update requires it. There is no need to reboot otherwise. ROCK on NUC runs 24/7.

It’s been running 46 days since the last reboot.

Having said that, I’ve been hit twice in the last three years by a rare file system bug; but other than that, it’s been ROCK-solid.

On average I restart the core about 1x weekly when it becomes less responsive than it otherwise is e.g. when pressing play does nothing.

1 Like

Have Roon running an a headless Windows 10 PC that automatically shuts off every night at 1AM. When I want to start listening I boot the PC up again.

Recently (last ~2 months?) I’ve had to restart my NUC possibly up to 4 times.

No connection to Roon from my remotes (e.g. Surface Pro 7 / Nokia 8 / FiiO M11), or a drop-out & failure to reconnect to local music files (NAS) or internet radio.

Windows 10 64bit
Intel NUC 7i7BNH

(however, there have been quite a few Windows updates recently - perhaps there’s a correlation)

Generally, I try to reboot the NUC every month or so, regardless of problems.

Lately much more (more than weekly) than before (never) :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I run Roon on a Mac Mini and up until a few weeks ago my response would have been “never”. Recently however, the first time I use Roon during the day when I hit play nothing happens, the music never starts. As soon as I quit and restart Roon again everything is fine for the rest of the day. This doesn’t happen every day but at least 3 to 4 times a week.

1 Like

I run ROCK on Cirrus7 and since I installed everything in October I have not manually restarted it once. Works as flawless in that matter as one would hope.

A possibility to reboot the roon core (roon server) via any roon remote would be extremely helpful.
Like there is the possibilty to update all roon devices via roon remote.

As it is now, you have to reboot the whole machine where the roon server runs instead of just restarting roon server itself.
I hope this is feasible :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

One of the advantages of running ROCK is you can remotely restart the server software and reboot the machine remotely.

2 Likes

You should post this in the Feature Request section, not that it will make any difference (unfortunately).

1 Like
1 Like

Very frequently, probably every other day. Not very stable at all, particulary during heavy manual library „recognizing albums“ exercise. Runs on Synology NAS

Running ROCK. I seldom reboot. I think it’s usually a problem with Sonos rather than Roon, but I reboot everything is something seems amiss. I almost exclusively play from my own collection rather than a streaming service.

This threat is proof enough that electricity is too inexpensive.

I run mine on a Windows 10 machine with 32GB of memory and find I have to restart my computer every couple of days if I continue to run Roon Core, otherwise all my resources seem to get used up. To be fair, and not sure if it’s related, I am running a boatload of other services on my machine, including a DivX server, JRiver server, various Windows processes, Outlook is open all the time, as is Chrome a lot. Chrome is totally a resource hog, so maybe it relates to that more than Roon. I have restarted every few days for a long time, just to flush the memory and start over again.

I run only RoonServer, JRiver server and Plex, on a machine with 32 Gb memory and I do a lot of restarts.

Roon has a problem as evidenced by the existence of this thread.

1 Like

Actually I used to run Windows 10 and found I had to restart the core every 5-10 days as memory used to clog up. Running 256ssd and 16gb ram on an i7-7700 ASUS h110 motherboard.

Now I run the same hardware but have ROCK installed and no issues since.

Library is 270k tracks

Rarely.

Roon and my music files reside on my Salkstream III.

@xxx I have an unrelated question related to Plex. I have a large movie library stored on an external USB drive connected to my computer. I have bought and installed DivX Pro in the past and run that server for media files (movies only) and then on my Apple TV run Infuse (which is a great piece of software) which then finds the DivX folders, populates movies and I can stream away.

I have noted however that the DivX software has not been updated since 2018. It seems to run 35% of my CPU load at times and causes mouse stutter issues, etc. unless I close it down. Plex, however, seems to be more popular and updated regularly. How do you like that software and do you have any issues with it?

I also have discovered Plex can run native on my Synology NAS and I could plug my external USB drive into the NAS and bypass the computer, maybe that is an option. Thoughts on this?