How often do you reboot your Roon core?

I have JRiver, but I use Plex exclusively to run movies.

It does the job and is simplicty itself. I get 7.1 sound without all the sometimes arcane setup issues of JRiver. During playback, the inteface has the necessary bells and whistles.

OTOH, the UI is less than informative as far as viewing one’s video collection.

Try it. You’ll like it. :wink:

Thank you I am giving it a tray now. I moved my external USB drive to my Synology NAS and shared it there, had to pay $4.00 for exFAT access on the Synology but that was OK. Then shared that folder in Plex and now it’s busy scanning the movies to bring in artwork, etc. I disabled my DivX server on the PC and things seem to have really sped up. I also redirected the Infuse app on the Apple TV to the Plex share and everything is populating there as well. For now I am not sharing outside my network but might give that a try as well. Hopefully people are not upset here that I momentarily hijacked the thread. Take care.

I reboot when there is an upgrade available.

Only when OS update.
Running on a headless Mac mini (High Sierra)
Music is on a Synology.
Everything wired. Dead solid.

Doesn’t it ever go wrong or freeze up? Mine does, in fact just now when I changed some settings on my streamer.

There’s 100k + roon users. In the last 30 days 1.3k unique users have been on the forum and some sort of percentage of those raise problems with the core that need a reboot.
So the majority seem, as roon state, to be working quite happily (or at least silently :slight_smile:)
A system that needs attention all the time isn’t the norm.

Once every couple months. ROCK on an old dell desktop.

Random odd playback issues have forced me to reboot my Nucleus. Sometimes playback will suddenly just stop. This morning my Qobuz playback stopped and the system switched to a radio station. A reboot was the only remedy. It does not happen that often…maybe twice a month. Always relieved when everything comes back online.

1 Like

It has happened.
I had a period, last fall, when the Core hung about monthly. Problem appears to have been network related, went away.

When I say I don’t reboot it, that means “I don’t choose to reboot it”.
Hung, not working, I have to start it.
Update, I tell Roon to update itself, if it chooses to reboot as part of that process, that’s got nothing to do with me, I don’t even know if it does or not.
Power outage, Roon boots when power comes back.

Same story… a late 2012 quad i7 2.6GHz / 16GB Mac mini with Mojave, no monitor. Mine has an internal hard disk for music in addition to the SSD for MacOS and I also stream from Tidal. It was rock solid for many months, now for the past month or two, Roon regularly becomes unresponsive requiring I connect to screen share via another Mac and then close/reopen the Roon core. I have noticed that Tidal streaming often fails before Roon becomes completely unresponsive.

How often should I? I have a SONICTRANSPORTER I5 CDR. I generally listen a couple times a week and power it down when not in use. Should I leave it powered up 24/7?

If you are doing an orderly shutdown should be fine.

Background info:

Roon Core running on Windows 10 i7 with 32GB of RAM. This computer is on 24/7 and also runs Plex. All music and movie files are stored on USB drives directly connected to computer. At present running about 7 Roon endpoints and 3 Plex “endpoints” via Roku and Amazon Fire Sticks. Roon has one active service to Tidal.

The computer and Roon Core is rebooted for those annoying monthly Windows updates.

The Roon Core is rebooted/restarted approximately once or twice weekly due to issues with Tidal, which I haven’t seen mentioned thus far. The Tidal issues arise when a song from Tidal does not play and when the “services” tab in “Setting” shows a spinning circle for the Tidal service. Stopping and restarting the Roon Core usually resolves this issue and Roon and Tidal again work fine for another week or so.

I have experienced no issues or problems with running Plex and Roon on the same computer although I almost never use Plex and Roon at the same time, i.e. stream music and stream a video at the same time.

I also have not experienced any resource “hogging” by either Plex or Roon, although Roon can occasionally use a fair amount of resources when adding new music to the library but afterwards the resource use decreases back to “normal” levels.

I should note that both my music and video libraries are very large and the core computer is way over speced, which helps to keep things running smoothly.

Once in a Blue Moon. Roon ROCK on NUC8i7

I’ve got no idea how computers actually do this stuff, but I wonder if you are having conflicts with two potentially large databases in play at the same time? If you run Plex like we run Roon, the database is in ‘memory’ even when you aren’t using Plex. And like Roon, the databases can get pretty large.
I’m presuming this is all being run on an SSD, because you are pretty Roon savvy.
If you were to just boot up the server running only Roon, is it still unstable?

Recently been quite frequent requirement (running core on a windows laptop - controlling via iPad or iPhone to KEF speakers, no playback, from tidal or own stored files).

Required me to reboot - prob goes away. But frustrating none the less (1st world problems I know).

1 Like

I think that you misunderstood me. I did not mean that Roon was in any way unstable, in fact both Roon and Plex are rock solid. The problem has to do with the Tidal and Roon integration. Next time this happens I will check Tidal on Plex, since Tidal is also integrated into Plex. If there are issues with Tidal and Plex then I will know that the problem is with Tidal alone or with the Tidal and Roon integration. Of course now the issue will not happen for a few weeks at which point I will have forgotten about having to check Plex before restarting Roon :crazy_face:

1 Like

Core is on an ethernet connected Win10 machine left on 24/7, which has no other duties. After more than 2 years it has never required a restart to resolve an issue. It has only restarted when part of a Windows update process. So preternaturally stable in my experience. I have gripes about Roon, but not in this respect.

I’ve been running ROCK on a Nuc8i7BEH for about 18 months. Only “had” to reboot once due to the core not playing through a couple of Squeezeboxes I have. When it did that, it was still playing fine through a couple of Roon Ready devices I use as well. Other than that, I reboot every couple of months for no real reason.

Until the last week or so - almost never! All of the sudden my core (on a ROON Nucleus) stops working - tracks won’t play or they skip. So now I just keep the core page open in my browser to make a reboot easy. It DOES reboot very quickly, I should add.

1 Like