How quickly should I expect Roon to add new albums on a NAS

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Core runs on a Roon Nucleus, up to date. Music library is on a QNAP NAS.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Network is all cat 5 wired to a single Netgear switch. QNAP nas and Nucleus both connected to same switch.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
2 enpoints: Naim ND555, and an Allo DigiOne that feeds a Naim UnitiQute

Description Of Issue
When adding new albums to the music library on the QNAP NAS, I always end up doing a manual update of Roon. I cannot tell how long it is taking for Roon to do this one its own. One time I added an album and did not update, and did see that a few days later Roon had added it. Whether it was an hour…hours…a day…that I do not know.

What is typical to expect for Roon to notice new music on my NAS?

The issue is probably being caused by the fact that you are holding your music files on a NAS. From the KB article on storage:

Most NAS devices do a poor job reporting changes to Roon, which may necessitate more frequent rescans in order to detect newly added content

I believe that you can alter the frequency of automatic rescans for NAS-attached storage in the storage settings, but I don’t use a NAS for storage, so I can’t say for certain.

1 Like

If you click on the three dots next to your NAS storage device you’ll see the default rescan interval is 4 hours. It can be set as short as 1 hour.
Roon will get the rescan when you ask it to do so. I never knew when my Synology would get scanned so I just hit ‘force rescan’ on the storage location if I added new music I wanted to listen to immediately.

1 Like

Thanks both – that makes sense! Given that I add music rather infrequently, the longest interval + manual rescan when I do add something seems right for me.

What threw me off was the statement, “Watching for new files in real time” that appears on the first Settings page. I have now put that into better perspective :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.