How to catalogue multi-layer discs (i.e. SACD)

Any tips on how to catalogue multi-layer discs such as SACDs? Most SACDs will have a PCM 16/44,1 layer and a DSD64 layer (Hybrid SACDs). Some SACDs will have a multichannel DSD64 layer as well.

Ideally these should show up as 1 album with multiple playback options (possibly with a preference setting). Can anyone confirm Roon works this way?

How would one store these files?

Artist name / Album name / Layer 1
Artist name / Album name / Layer 2

or

Artist name / Album name - Layer 1
Artist name / Album name - Layer 2

Any thoughts/pointers appreciated.

Oh, and how about multi disc sets of multi layered discs? :slight_smile:

Hey @foxmoon – give @jeremiah’s post here a read and let me know if it helps with the folder structure.

Roon’s handling of multiple versions of the same album is covered here – give that a read as well, and let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!

Yes I’ve read those. It’s not multiple versions of the same album (i.e. original CD from 1990 and remastered deluxe from 2001). It’s multiple formats/layers on the same disc/release I was wondering about. I.e, I may have ripped the CD Layer, the Stereo DSD Layer and the Multichannel DSD Layer from the same disc.

This works fine for me with my CD rips and high res downloads of the same Album. Roon automatically shows the highest res version. If you turn on show duplicates it will show both and you can select the one you want. If you select the option to show the version it will overlay that on the album art work so you easily know which is which. I have all my hires downloads in one watched folder and the CDs in another. Folder structure in both is artist/album-title/tracks but I suspect Roon would work it out if your structure was different.

Hope this helps.

@foxmoon How do you rip SACD (the non-CD layers)?

@AndersVinberg Have a look at this thread:

@AndersVinberg Using an older PS3. Search Google for PS3 SACD rip. A good source is also the Computer Audiophile forums.