How to disable internet metadata?

I am a new Room user. I love it’s mutli-room capability and sound quality. I love that way it shows the signal path and various conversions if needed.

What I don’t like at all (hate) and I am sure I am a very small minority here, is how it it butchers all the metadata from my flac files replaces them with its own.

I have built a music collection of flac files for over 10 years now, meticulously editing the tags exactly to my tastes, as well as perfect 600x600 artwork.

I do not want this data messed with! I have been using both JRiver and Audirvana and I don’t have this problem.

In Roon, in settings, in library I have disabled all the tag settings so that it gets the data from the files. However it still ignores it! The artwork is now from flac files, but the artist and track titles are ignored and replaced by the ones in Roon’s database. I hate this!!!

If I want all the artist bio, history, etc, I will use Tidal or Qobuz. I just want to play my music collection like I do with JRiver and Audirvana. Of course Roon has far superior audio qualities which is what I am after.

Please help me!

Thank you.

3 Likes

Seems you’re looking at the wrong piece of software. The use of enhanced 3-party metadata is a core feature of Roon. See also: Roon Music Management Software Features | Try it Free

Take it or leave it.

These settings are primarily meant as fallback for bad album/track metadata from 3-party providers. Anything else (People {Credits}, Compositions, Discography, …) is off-limits and not affected by these settings (not contained in imported track metadata).

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply. It is not the wrong software. I love Roon’s audiophile qualities. No other software offers this.

I just wished there was a way to (fully) disable the internet metadata and just use the file tags for everything.

I am currently in a free trial and so it seems sadly I will not be continuing it…

Try changing the import options to use your file information and not Roon.

I already did that ages ago. Here are the settings:-

Why have you not told Roon about the file tag delimiters that you have used in your file tag metadata? Roon hasn’t got much chance of making any sense of your own metadata if you don’t at least give it a helping hand.

I removed the delimiters because all my files’ tags have a single artist, genre, etc - everything single - there is no need for a delimiter.

Flagging @support here - is there some reason why Roon is ignoring these import settings to use file metadata only?

I doubt that Roon ignores them. They are just preferences also: Prefer data from file but if for a given datapoint there is nothing in the file to prefer but data from Roon, this data is used.

No way to turn these off.

While there was no example given, I suspect that this is all about multi-part compositions - can be overruled on a by-album-basis only.

Preventing the use of enhanced metadata from 3-party providers is not a feature of Roon.

This discussion is a dead end. What the OP is asking for (“How to disable internet metadata?”) is not possible with Roon. It’s unlikely that Roon will ever change to allow what’s been asked for, throwing away one of it’s core features.

1 Like

I fail to see the OP’s issue. He’s clearly not driven to explore within his library and just wants to press play and listen. I can’t imagine he’s unable to find the content he’s looking for, must be he just gets annoyed with all the additional info he’s presented with – that’s at the core of Roon’s value proposition, pretty much a take it or leave it.

The only other thing that can be done is to minimise composer credits on display by setting it to less:

I’m curious, is Roon’s metadata incorrect or just additive, can you post an example of what it is you hate?

He probably perceives a mess because his metadata is tuned (composers and/or conductors listed as album artists for example) to the needs of software that only uses a small subset of the possible metadata tags which does not prevent Roon from adding all the missing datapoints. Also the fact that Roon doesn’t use a users folder structure to organize the library might add to the OP’s discomfort.

IMO the best thing to do is set Roon to prefer it’s own metadata for most of the options (album cover might be a viable exception) and learn to live with it while keeping the tuned, file based metadata, which Roon doesn’t touch, so the same files can be used at any time with other software (OP: JRiver and Audirvana). But obviously, this is not what the OP is asking for.

You are not alone. Unfortunately, the other commentators on your thread are right - you cannot do anything about it.

Roon is behaving like a boy scout acompanying the old lady across the street, even if she would not want to cross the street at all. You can tell Roon to prefer your file content all you want - Roon will always find a loophole where to “enhance” it. It’s like that for years and I’m afraid it won’t change.

1 Like

Thank you Klaus for your input. It is much appreciated.

Both! I dislike (not hate) it. If I want to research a song/artist, I will do it myself using Wikipedia and other means, at a time when I feel like doing it.

Anyway, as an example of incorrect metadata, here is one. There is a Single by Mariah Carey (a very famous artist), called “Thank God I Found You”.

Under “Credits” I see a lot of information (very useful for some - not for me). One is that there is violinist amongst the performers! I have heard this song many, many times and I do NOT hear a violin in this song!

Morevoer, upon further research by myself (Googling the violinist), this alleged violinist died in the year 1963. However this single was released in 1999! So how did a deceased violinist play the violin in 1999?

Surely, this is incorrect metadata.

Researching further about this (alleged) violinist in this Mariah Carey song, I have now learnt that not only did this violinist die in the year 1963 (some 36 years before the song was recorded), but that also, he was once, the President of the United States of America!!

:grimacing:

See the screenshots below:-

2 Likes

I love going down these metadata rabbit holes… :slight_smile:

Obviously the JFK credit is completely wrong, but just to check… is your version the album version or a remix?

There are violinists credited on the Album version of the track, as confirmed by the info from a Single release, including a John Kennedy (not the 35th president):

Source:

And Roon correctly shows a John Kennedy for the track listing from the Album:

John Kennedy also performed on two other tracks on Rainbow:

However, Roon seems to be incorrectly linking the credits from the album (and likely other versions) to a 6 track remix EP (which judging by the runtime (28m) and format (24Bit) from your screenshot, I think you are using):

As well as JFK, John Kennedy appears further down on the EP listing:

This remix EP apparently does not credit violins, as you mention:

I think it’s similar to an issue related to original album releases vs. deluxe releases, when a performer on a track in the deluxe version only, also appears in the original release credits.

Hello @Wolfgang1756 ,
I am not sure if it will get you close enough to what you desire to stay with Roon, but not withstanding Roon’s data model there might be some milage in batch un-identifying your albums and see how that plays out for you.

Doubtful it would look completely the way you hope for e.g artists, but worth a try maybe, after a library backup? For unidentified albums where my file metadata is in good nick, I get decent results, although Roon won’t use every nook and cranny.

Just wondering how you will prevent Roon starting to identify your albums again?
Dirk

It’s a good question. For albums where I was not happy with Roon’s automatic identification of a local album (because it was wrong), manual identification failed too and I explicitly reverted to setting the album to unidentified / using basic file metadata, they seem to stay as unidentified, including after a storage rescan. So I presume a flags is set somewhere in the DB?

The bigger issue perhaps for OP is that I have only done this for a few individual albums, so my casual ‘batch unidentify’ is likely to be a cumbersome process - don’t think you can trigger this / do it in one go by selecting more than one album at a time.