How to Disable Sound on Mother Board on Windows 10 HP Computer

Hello! Just purchased a new HP Desktop model #590-p0057c (Windows 10, 8th generation i5 processor, 16GB memory w/1TB hard drive). My last computer had Windows 7. Have installed Asus Essence STX II sound card and need to disable the sound on the HP mother board but haven’t been able to figure out? If possible, can you walk me thru the steps to make the change? FYI - have already Installed latest version of the drive on the Asus Essence sound card.

Bottom line - how do you disable the sound on the HP (specs above) mother board?

Thanks for your help!

This might work.

1. In a command window, type C:\Windows\System32\mmsys.cpl. (Or, in Control Panel, find Sound and click on it.)
  2. In the resulting pop-up, find the device of interest.
  3. Left-double-click on that device to get Properties.
  4. In the General tab (default), on Device Usage at bottom, choose Don’t use.

There could also be options in the BIOS settings to turn off Audio devices on the Motherboard

Thanks James - - will try but please note I’m trying to disable the “sound card” that is built into the HP computer so not a separate device - - do you think these steps would still apply?

FYI - the Assus card is disabled but in order to get it functioning properly w/Roon need to disable the sound card that came built into the HP computer.

HP support should be able to help you in this regard…or worst case google is your friend.

Go to Device Manager, expand Sound Video and game controllers.

Right Click on Sound Card and then Left Click Disable.

–MD

“Sound card” means a software device as far as Windows is concerned. It shouldn’t matter whether the physical thing is separate from or part of the motherboard. What does matter is whether the owning software will control whatever is there. So I’d try what I outlined.

You should be able to.disable the built in audio in the computer bios.

+1 for doing it in the BIOS settings. Disabling in Windows is not the best approach.

I’m not sure that the HP BIOS has a setting for disabling the built-in audio. If this is the BIOS utility used on the HP 590-p0057c, then I see nothing in there about the audio hardware.

Right Click on Start, then Left Click on Device Manager

Then expand Sound, video and game controllers

Right Click on Audio Card

Then Left Click Disable

No rebooting of PC. Can be turned off and on at will. With it disabled Windows will not see this device anywhere except for here in Device Manager.

–MD

Sound Card is a Hardware Device no matter if it is a add-on or built in. It is just like a Video/ Graphics chip and requires a Device Driver to function correctly. That is why it is listed in Device Manager.

Hardware of the same type of families can have conflicts at times. It use to be that when you added a Video Card to the mainboard it would automatically disable the onboard graphics chip. This was done apon bootup and the BIOS detected a add on Video Card. However recently with the new Intel chipset, the onboard graphics are not disabled and can used in conjunction with a add on Video Card giving you the abilty to hook up multiple monitors.

–MD

My HP laptop 8560P you could disable the audio in the bios. That way the audiodriver isn’t loaded. The best way to disable your laptop soundcard.

It is one and the same. With it disabled in Device Manager and or the BIOS the device driver is also not loaded into Windows.

–MD

That’s not correct. If the audiodriver wasn’t loaded, it wouldn’t turn up at the hardware selection.

When you build a system from scratch all Hardware will show up in the Device Manager whether it is correctly identified or not. This is same as the BIOS identifying the board hardware. Windows will not and cannot use any of these devices without the correct driver associated with this hardware device.

This applies to chipsets, ethernet, video, audio and so on. Windows has a built in Generic VGA display for all video display cards to use as so you can apply the correct driver to the hardware. If the correct driver is not applied, then Windows will not recognize this device as intended.

But to your point, if it is disabled in the BIOS then Windows will not see it which is True but it is also true if the driver is not installed or disabled then Windows will not use or see this device unless you go through Device Manager.

–MD

There are differences. Turning it off in BIOS, usually, turns off power to that device. Disabling in Windows just puts the device in one of Windows low power states. As such, it could still conflict with an add-on card.

I haven’t seen such in ages, but, many people do not use add-on cards anymore. HP does some “interesting” things with their hardware. Better to disable in BIOS, if possible. If not, then certainly disabling in Device Manager is another option to try.

When it is disabled in Device Manger, the Windows OS does not see and or recognized this hardware device except through the Device Manager. This is by design and is also used for troubleshooting to identify these memory ranges and interupts conflicts that could occur.

Back in the day interrupts and also memory ranges were a common conflict but for the most part today each has their on space now.

–MD

Hi Geoff, that and other HP web examples are just examples of possible BIOS configurations. Like the screen shot below:

The OP needs to go into the BIOS and see the options available to them. Additionally, since it is a new computer a call to the support center should then be the next step.

Some HP computers are set to be “smart” and will auto-disable on-board audio if they detect an add-on audio card. The problem lies in that not all audio add-on cards are detected as such by HP.

Yep, Plug and Play took care of a lot of those hassles.