How to Get Back Access to my I7 NUC based ROCK

Hope that’s it.

1 Like

I’m not sure how to go about restoring the database for my ROCK.

Currently I’m looged in and have been configuring stuff via the iPad.

I haven’t told Roon about the music files on the external USB3 drive attached to the ROCK. When should I?

I haven’t told Roon about the backups on the external USB3 drive attached to the ROCK. When should I? How do I?

In the article http://kb.roonlabs.com/Backup#Restoring_Backups under Restoring Backups it says…

This will work on any Roon Core that is not logged in.

Is this what I should be doing. How do I log out?

Do I tell Roon about the music files and then do the database restore from backup? I would have though this would be necessary, but it’s not clear.

The more I read the more confused I’m becoming as to what I should now be doing. Just what are the steps in my situation?

ROCK has been running 5 hours, 1 minute, 33 seconds.

That page describes “several ways to skin the cat” - you choose the one that feels most appropriate to your situation.

Since you have passed the station of being at the login screen (i.e. a new Core has booted up for the very first time), and you presumably haven’t set up a fresh Backup Schedule, the most appropriate course of action is, it seems to me, to use the Find Backups route and browse the USB drive where you have been storing your backups. Find the most recent backup and use that to restore the Roon Database

1 Like

As I said above, I’m logged in, plus I’ve enabled DACs. I haven’t pointed the ROCK at the music files. I haven’t told the ROCK about backups. This is because I can’t determine what the right order is and the examples I see are contradictory.

I would think that the ROCK would need to know about where the music files are before I restore a database backup. Otherwise the restored database would start to think all of the files have been deleted.

But if I point the ROCK at the files, surely it’s going to start building a new database. Do I wait for that to be done, before recovering a database backup, or do I interrupt it and start the recovery ASAP.

Do I have to be logged out to do the recovery. I keep seeing references to all sorts of strange things happening to people trying to do this sort of thing, but I can’r seem to find a definitive step by step way forward anywhere that gets it right.

Any tips @support and @noris

The point about a database restore is that it restores everything, including the information about storage paths and connected devices. So you shouldn’t need to futz about adding storage devices and endpoints, assuming that everything is as it was before you started having problems… However, let’s wait for the definitive answer from the support team to set your mind at rest.

Hello @Lloyd_Borrett,

Glad to hear that things have stabilized and that the ROCK is operational again! Thank you for pointing out our documentation, I have forwarded your feedback to the rest of the support staff and they will take a look at improving the language used, for this case the Migration Docs would have the most accurate info.

I just want to confirm, the storage location for the music on this NUC will still be the USB3 external drive you have connected to it even after you move it back on your work network, correct? If so to restore your database from your current state, you would need to:

• Stay logged in (past the login page)
• Do not add your music yet
• Open Roon Settings -> Backups -> Find Backups
• Point Roon to your backup
• After completing the backup, your music storage location should automatically appear again and music should start re-importing
• If the watched folders for some reason do not appear in Roon Settings you may now re-add them manually (although they should appear just fine)

Thanks,
Noris

1 Like

Correct. External USB3 drive is present. ROCK has been up for almost 24 hours.

So this didn’t work. I kept pointing at the backup directory and it kept saying no backups found.

I’m remembered reading that ROCK had to be on the latest release. So I checked and it wasn’t. Made sure it updated to
Roon Server Software Version 1.5 (build 339) stable

Then it could find the backups in the folder I pointed it to. (I’m not sure why it hadn’t already updated to the latest version given the number of reboots. Would be nice if the web interface could report if there were updates available, or at least that you’re on the latest version.)

Selected the latest backup from 10-Sep-2018. Started the restore.

After completing the restore all of the settings seem fine. The watched folders were there, the backup setting, etc. I was getting excited.

First thing I did was to run a new backup.

The ROCK disconnected after a couple of minutes. Powered off and back on.

Backup reports it had finished. The ROCK disconnected after a couple of minutes. Powered off and back on.

Started to play music. The ROCK disconnected after a couple of minutes. Powered off and back on. The ROCK disconnected after a couple of minutes.

I was given a glimmer of hope, but now we seem to back to where we stated.

Any ideas as to where to from here?
@noris would you like me to try and get you the logs again?

I’m starting to get a bit frustrated.

Some weeks ago the HP laptop I use on the work music network to manage Roon and transfer files to the USB3 drive connected to the ROCK, stopped being able to run the Roon program. A Windows 10 update installed graphics drivers that didn’t work properly with the AMD Radeon Graphics hardware and support for OpenGL was lost.

BIOS updates and driver updates have not solved the problem.

Thus no ability to manage Roon from the laptop any more. I can only do it from the iPad and the Roon iPad app doesn’t support all of the features of the Windows app.

The option to connect the USB3 music files drive to the laptop and see if I get get Roon core running there won’t work.

I’ve been working with computers since 1973 and these sorts of problems never seem to go away.

UPDATE 2018-09-22: I’ve now managed to get the graphics drivers working on the laptop with support for OpenGL. So Roon can now run on the laptop again. Now I just need to learn how to stop the display drivers on the laptop from being updated.

Hello @Lloyd_Borrett,

Sorry to hear that things have gotten worse again, I was really hoping the situation would have improved but that seems to not be the case here :confused:

At this point we have a few theories left, either the issue is with the database or the issue is with the hardware, to rule some of these possibilities out, I have a few questions/requests:

• Can you please send us the logs as you did previously and let me know once you have done so?
  • Can you please send us your database? You can use the following instructions to split it into 1.5GB chunks and upload it to our servers with the previous login.
  • Can you please let me know if the NUC appear to be running hot?

Hopefully you’re able to get this information off the device before it drops off the network, but if not, let me know and we can try a different way.

Thanks,
Noris

Maybe a bad Ethernet port or something else on the network? I was surprised when you reported everything was OK.

Try running Ubuntu from a thumb drive and getting on the Internet… That will narrow things done a bit.

Lloyd if jiggling the RAM and SSD fixed things, but you’ve now regressed, then it may be that one of those components is bad. Do you have a PC repair shop available that could test them ?

I think that as I’re tried two different forms of Ethernet ports with the same results, plus that it worked for nearly 24 hours the other day, rules out bad Ethernet ports.

During the course of this ongoing saga the ROCK has been assigned lots of different IP addresses by the three modem/router/switch devices used. The ROCK always ends up dropping off the network after a few minutes. If it’s some IP conflict problem, it seems strange that it’s only effecting this one device and not any other the other devices, and that it’s happened on all three modem/routers.

I’ll try to get Ubuntu running later today.

Today I’ll try jiggling again. No PC repair shop handy where we are, so that’s a bit complicated. Hopefully getting Ubuntu going will enable me to get more information and maybe run some hardware diagnostics.

Yesterday afternoon I had another set back. The Internet connection suddenly stopped working properly.

We’re in the process of being changed over from ADSL to the new National Broadband Network (NBN). Currently we have two ADSL connections, one for the business, and one for customer wi-fi and the music network.

As part of the problem chasing process with the NUC and ROCK, a week ago we switched to the new modem we’d been given for our NBN connection of the customer/music network. We’re still on ADSL, but with a different modem/router/switch.

Early yesterday afternoon a tech from our ISP Telstra came in to change us over to the same model of modem/router/switch on our business ADSL connection. About an hour later I started to have problems accessing the Internet from the laptop on the customer/music ADSL connection.

The modem/router/switch says it’s connected and all is good. It finds the devices on its network. But suddenly I can’t browse to most websites using Chrome, Firefox and/or Edge. Some sites like Google, Facebook, Youtube and WikiPedia work, but others like this one lots of others don’t. It’s very weird.

Telstra can’t find the problem. The line and internet connection checks out okay. They’ve tried changing some modem settings with no success. The laptop reports it still has its internet connection.

Once upon a time I was the person who people would ask to come over and just stand by them working on a computer so it would work for them. Right now everything I go near goes pear shaped. :frowning:

I’m going to take in my home laptop that I’m writing this on to work later and see how it behaves.

I’ve been there.

Generally speaking, jiggling things only works with people, not computers.

Brother, it sounds like your network is really f*cked up.

Found the customer/music modem/router not connected this morning. Power cycled it and it now seems to be up and I’m getting to this web site from the laptop. Not getting my hopes up too much though.

Opened up the NUC. Moved the memory card to the spare slot. NUC only stayed connected for a few minutes. Moved the memory card back to where it was, with the same result.

At least the problems accessing the internet I experienced yesterday afternoon from all devices now seem to have gone.

I’ve ordered a new 16GB memory chip for the NUC, plus a 2.5" 250GB SSD. That will enable me to see if it’s a memory card problem. Plus it will enable me to run backups to the second SSD like I do on my home setup. Problem is I propably won’t get these components until Tuesday or Wednesday next week.

Time to try Ubuntu.

I suppose the memory itself could be bad.

If you have more than one memory stick installed, there’s a quick way to find out. Just use one stick at a time and try it in both slots. Try all the sticks you have. Maybe, one or more will turn out bad.

You’ve probably already thought of that.

Yes, but I only have one stick, until the second one I’ve ordered arrives, so can’t try it. Ubuntu is downloading.

Have managed to boot up with Ubuntu, but I know not what I’m doing.

It’s asking if I want to do a recovery. Is Ubuntu supposed to just run from the USB stick, or is is it going to want to install onto the SSD drive of the NUC thus destroying the Roon setup that’s there?

So far I haven’t been able to get it to stay up for long enough to get the logs or the database files. I will keep trying.

The NUC doesn’t feel at all hot. It doesn’t sound like it’s fan is running which it would be if it was running hot.

The BIOS reports
CPU Core Temp 61
Memory Temp 44
Motherboard Ambien 44
PCH Temp 53