How to Get Back Access to my I7 NUC based ROCK

The BIOS has the option of doing a network boot (basically a central server hands over all of the boot parameters as well as the OS). Since you were booting ROCK this wasn’t the issue.

Sounds like the BIOS update / reset solved the problem…temporarily…

Right now it’s as simple as I can get it. The NUC and laptop are connected to the router. No VPN or proxy that I’m aware of.

Is everything else disconnected from the router? Just leave the NUC and laptop connected with no other devices. If you have devices which connect via Wi-Fi then make sure they’re powered off (or change the wireless password so they can’t connect). Make sure the laptop is getting a different IP than the NUC and make sure that the laptop only has one connection (either Ethernet or Wi-Fi).

This still sounds like an IP conflict.

Not really. The fundamental problem is that ROCK comes up, gets an IP address, is accessible for a few minutes. then disconnects. That’s where we started. It’s been worse along the way, but that’s still where we are now. However, we may have ruled out a few possibilities along the way.

I’ll defer to @noris at this point - it looks like you’re narrowing down the potential issue. Next thing I’d probably do if possible would be to follow his suggestion about trying another router. Hope you come to a resolution soon.

So I now need to do a 1.5 hour round trip to go and buy a USN Ethernet adapter. Then I’ll try that. Then I’ll probably take it home tonight and try it on my home network as well.

Okay, so a USB 3.0 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter has been purchased and deployed. ROCK booted, router assigned IP address 192.168.15.10. I could access the Roon OS WEb UI for a few minutes from the laptop and then the NUC dropped off the network. In other words, the same behaviour as the NUC’s ethernet port.

So it’s probably not a crook ethernet port on the NUC.

Took the work NUC home and connected it (without it’s external USB 3.0 drive) to the home network. I haven’t tried to simplify this network at all.

It booted up and took a while to be assigned the IP address 192.168.0.51. I could access the web interface for a short time and then it dropped off the network. So that’s now three different modem/router/switch devices this NUC has exhibited this behaviour with.

I powered it up a few times with the same result. Though one time it was 6 minutes before it dropped off the network. I tried to get to the data directory to copy the missing codec file on but couldn’t access it. Not sure if this is because it had already dropped off the network, or because there was another ROCK on the network.

It’s beginning to sound like a hardware issue - as the NUC warms up, something breaks. Have you tried re-seating the RAM and the SSD? If that doesn’t improve matters, can you try replacing each in turn?

Edit: another thought - perhaps the NUC is shutting down because it overheats? Is the fan working? No dust clogging up the vents?

1 Like

Yeah, the thing is, the NUC doesn’t shut down. It just drops off the network.

@Lloyd_Borrett - I’ve lost track, you’ve tried so much. Did you try this? -

In the case of iOS devices that use WiFi, you don’t have to change a password to prevent connection. Just disable WiFi.

Since you’ve already reinstalled ROCK once, another thought (drastic as it may be) is to install WIN10. It won’t cost you any money. You can download a USB installable WIN10 from the Microsoft site. During the install, when it asks for a license, you don’t have to enter any. WIN10 will still run. Don’t know if you need to change BIOS back or anything else, but @Geoff_Coupe can answer those questions. This way we can, temporarily, take ROCK out of the picture.

Once WIN10 is installed, try getting on the Internet. If you can, that will eliminate any port, cable or network problems. I don’t know ROCK, but I’m assuming one can’t get on the Internet with it. If one can, then you don’t need WIN10 for the test.

Other than that, maybe it’s time for a computer store technician to run some diagnostics?

Green/ amber is okay.

Left LED: Amber or green speed indicator. Amber usually the higher speed, e.g. 1000 Mbps
Right LED: Green link activity, so off means no link

The NUC stays running. It doesn’t power down. It just drops off the network regardless of which ethernet connection is used.

I have gone through the scenario of just the NUC and laptop connected with Wi-Fi turned off. Same result.

Tomorrow I’ll open up the NUC and check everything inside is okay. I wonder if there are some diagnostics for the NUC that could be run.

At least I had one success today. Setup my sixth HiFiBerry DAC Pro+. So I now have three RPi based DACs at work and five at home. Sadly everyone is missing out on music at work because of the ROCK problem.

I don’t use ROCK but I’m guessing you can’t ssh into it and run sudo ethtool -S eth0 or whatever interface you are using.

Alternatively, could you hook up a monitor and keyboard? If so, run Ubuntu from a flash drive and see what’s going on using the command line.

https://www.ubuntu.com/download/iot/intel-nuc-desktop

@Lloyd_Borrett -

Yeah, use Ubuntu from USB drive and see if you can log into the Internet. Easier and less intrusive than Windows idea.

I’ve used ssh for the first time recently to fix update problems on two of my RoPieee based DACs. I know nothing about Linux command line stuff. But once the internet connection is lost, ssh would be useless.

The display screen when ROCK is running doesn’t tell me anything. I can’t even tell if ROCK is still running, just without a network connection. Would be nice if ROCK had some diagnostic mode where it displayed more to the screen. Is there a log file written somewhere by ROCK that I could try to access? One time it stayed live long enough for me to access the drive and copy the missing codecs on, which currently needs to be done again as I’ve done another ROCK install since then.

My model NUC is NUC7i7BNH and that model isn’t included in the list of models supported by those Ubunto images. Which one would you suggest?

I suppose the purpose here is to run something on the NUC to see what is going on. I’m guessing this runs from the flash drive only and doesn’t write anything to the ROCK SSD drive.

Ubuntu will run on almost anything.

Yes, if you can connect to the Internet under Ubuntu, then that eliminates any problems with cables, switches, ports, etc. Since Ubuntu might use a different IP than what ROCK uses, it might not rule out an IP collision. Have to wait and see about that.

There are many ways to run Ubuntu. One way is to run strictly from a thumb drive. Just be careful and pay attention to the way you choose.

That’s correct. The following may help (for Windows, Linux or MacOS):

This morning I’ve opened the NUC and jiggled stuff about. Nothing obvious. No dust build ups. Actually it’s quite clean.

It seems to now be staying up for a while longer. I copied the missing codecs on. But then it disconnected again. On the next reboot I was able to copy the log files and provide them to Roon support. Hopefully this will reveal something more.

Next I need to get a USB flash drive and try Ubuntu.

Have I mentioned how we’re all missing having our music this last week. The dive shop just isn’t the same without music anymore. Roon - it’s all about the music.

2 Likes

Touch wood. It seems to be staying up. Touch wood. I’ve managed to connect the iPad to the ROCK. Touch wood. The ROCK has done an update. Touch wood. I’ve been able to connect the three DACs. Touch wood. I’ve connected up the external USB3 drive that has my music library and backups on it. Touch wood.

Next step would be to try and temp fate by getting the database and library back. However, in my search for the instructions on how to do this I’m not finding a reliable step by step guide. Plus I’m seeing posts where people have had problems following the steps they were given, either because the information was out of date, not clear, or missing in action.

So I’m starting with a ROCK that has a new install on it. I have an external drive with the music files hopefully still on it, plus my Roon scheduled database backups. The core is logged in.

Where to now?

1 Like

It looks like that all you have to do is a restore from your backups. Make sure that storage is pointing to your music files, as before.

But first, what did you do that fixed things?

The only thing I can think of is opening the cover and jiggling things about.
Running 2 hours, 4 minutes, 4 seconds.

I’m going to be delighted if that’s the fix, mixed with disappointment that it’s taken so long to get here.