How to Get Back Access to my I7 NUC based ROCK

Yep, that’s true. Unless that deinstalling ROCK still left a config file around that the new ROCK is using. Dunno.

If you don’t want to change the DHCP range, and I can see why you wouldn’t, I guess I’m out of suggestions.

You’ve tagged support, so they should be along, although their plate is usually pretty full.

Good luck.

One last thing. It’s a little implausible, but not impossible. Maybe you have an Ethernet cable that’s gone bad. It’s happened to me in the past. Can you change out the cable that the ROCK machine is using?

Just a last ditch suggestion.

Also, try changing the port on the router that the ROCK machine is connected to.

Out of curiosity… when your NUC is powered on, physically connected to the network, and showing the final screen where it’s not getting an IP address… what color LEDs are present around the ethernet port? Is it two green or one orange and one green.

If it’s the former then this suggests that the port isn’t linking at gigabit speeds which suggests either a physical (cable) issue or an issue with negotiation of the connection with the switch.

If this was me, and given everything that’s already been tried or suggested, I’d be tempted to start from scratch. That is, turn off WiFi, disconnect everything from the router, turn it and any network devices (including the NUC) off for a minute or two and then restart the router. Connect the NUC directly to the router first with a known good cable and see if it gets a different ip (continue either way). Then add in a hardwired control device if you have one (eg desktop) for testing. If that works, gradually add in other devices and check for operation as you go. Finally turn on the WiFi. This is fairly long winded but may help to eliminate or identify potential conflicts with other devices.

Apologies if I’m late to the party and missed that you have been there and done that!

@Lloyd_Borrett it really looks like the ethernet port of your NUC is broken. This may seem unlikely, but I had the same happen on my NAS some time ago. After years of working well it suddenly disappeared from the network. A reboot sorted it, but after a short time it vanished again. I replaced the NAS, but in your case I’d follow noris’ advice and buy a USB ethernet adapter. Move the ethernet cable to the adapter (check that the cable is OK) and reboot the NUC. One other possibility is that the file system for Rock is corrupt, but then I guess the reinstall would not work as I think the install involves formatting of the target drive.

I tried a recovery first but after that the ROCK still didn’t get an IP address probably because a bad network setting was still there. So then I did a reinstall and I’m behaving as it is now.

I’ve done all of this before, but will do again. I’ve also thought I might take the ROCK and it’s external USB3 drive home and try it on that network. Assuming I can have two ROCKs on the same network.

1 Like

Well the Intel 7i7 NUC is less than three months old so if it’s a bad Ethernet port it should be covered under warranty.

If I get a USB ethernet adapter, will the ROCK will have the appropriate device drivers installed so it can use it this adapter?

This is a good question. What’s the answer?

At least, you can always take a break and go for a dive. I sport dived for many years. A great way to chill out.

I think the USB thing that noris pointed to should work directly. Let’s see what @noris says…
If your NUC looses network connectivity and everything around it is OK there is not much else that can be wrong than the ethernet port - even if the NUC is new.

Was this a correct state for the smartphone and iPad as it is not clear. If both should have been showing up as well as the ROCK, then maybe something is going on with the network.

The problem setup is my work system. At the time of writing that post I was connecting via TeamViewer from home. So the phones shouldn’t be showing up because they weren’t there. I’m not sure why the iPad wasn’t showing up though.

I’ll let you know when I can check the lights. Tuesday is my day off, so not at the shop.

I managed to get in only 20 dives since taking over the shop 5 years ago, and most of those were on my second trip to dive the nuclear fleet at Bikini Atoll a few months after taking over. Last dive was March last year. The up side is that revenue is now 15 times what it was when I took over.

1 Like

Okay, I’m back at the shop. Changed cable and router port.

The NUC is in its connected state. The two lights on the NUC ethernet port are left orange and right green. Right light on the router ethernet port is green.

It’s now in its disconnected state. Lights are the same.

I have powered off the NUC and the modem/router/switch. Powered back up the modem/router/switch. Once it was connected to the Internet I powered up the NUC which got a new IP address. Current assignments as reported by the router are:

Wired Devices

IP Address MAC Address Device Name

1 192.168.15.8 B8:27:EB:E0:7A:08
2 192.168.15.252 B8:27:EB:CF:5D:07
3 192.168.15.7 94:C6:91:17:A3:E1 ROCK
4 192.168.15.13 B8:27:EB:9A:C5:71
5 192.168.15.2 98:E7:F4:4B:D3:11 DIVESHOP-MUSIC

2.4G Wireless Devices (Wireless intruders also show up here)

1 192.168.15.4 30:07:4D:85:4D:43 GALAXY-S8
2 192.168.15.6 30:07:4D:7E:E3:D3 GALAXY-S8

2.4G Wireless Guest Network Devices (Wireless intruders also show up here)

5G Wireless Devices (Wireless intruders also show up here)

1 192.168.15.5 A0:C9:A0:8F:7C:02 GALAXY-NOTE8

After a few minutes the IP address 192.168.15.7 for the ROCK goes as it drops off the network.

I’ll see if I can get a USB Ethernet Adapter and give it a try. Think I’ll also take it home and try it on the network there. (I don’t want to try it on the other dive shop network.)

OK, I think orange and green port lights are bad. They should both be green? Dunno.

You say you have swapped out the Ethernet cable and replaced it with a different cable, that you know is good, and ROCK still couldn’t connect.

If orange and green lights are bad, then the only thing left, apart from a bad cable, is a bad Ethernet port on the ROCK. @AMP are you there?

If you think about it, that makes sense. Your troubles began long before the tech replaced your modem and screwed around with the IP addresses. We just got side tracked on something that didn’t matter?

A computer shop could tell you, but it would cost you $50, or so.

Looks like maybe I need to take this back. -

Hmm, just went down cellar and looked at an RPi endpoint that works. The Ethernet ports are orange and green.

Really confused, gonna shut up now.:zipper_mouth_face:

Sounds like a plan.

So I did that. The ROCK connected and got the IP address 192.168.15.5. With nothing else connected I couldn’t tell if it was actually connected or not.

I waited a while and then connected the laptop. By then the ROCK wasn’t connected.

Hello @Lloyd_Borrett & everyone following this thread,

Apologies for the delay in replying here, I have brought up this case @mike and I wanted to gather all the necessary information and get his take on it before providing next troubleshooting steps.

Since the ROCK can only be accessed temporarily using the web page, there are a few possibilities happening here:

1. The router isn’t properly distributing IP addresses or there is an IP conflict
  2. There is something going wrong on the BIOS settings side of things
  3. There is something wrong with the network port itself

I would start off by focusing on getting the laptop and NUC stable, so possible resolutions to each above point:

1. Attempt to use another router, possibly the one you have at home and see if you are running into the same issue. Connect only the NUC, a Laptop and the Router to start off with and see if you can reliably access the NUC.
  2. I have recently seen a report that temporarily disabling the LAN and turning it back on from the BIOS resolved another user’s issue: Can’t Update BIOS on NUC5i3RYH.
    I would connect a Keyboard and Mouse to verify this theory.
  3. If the Ethernet port is indeed damaged, then having the USB to Ethernet adapter will rule this possibility out. Yes, the drivers for the USB to Ethernet adapter should be recognized by the ROCK and having two ROCKs on the same network will not cause issues.

Also just want to confirm, is there anything notable about the network configuration on any of your devices (even the iOS devices)? Possibly a VPN or proxy that you are using? I would start simplifying the network, excluding variables that don’t need to be added and then build from there, I’m confident that we can get this stable, it’s just a matter of pinpointing where the issue lies.

Thanks,
Noris

I’m here, just in a different time zone for a couple of weeks.

Orange and green are correct. That shows linked and negotiated at 1Gbps. When I’ve had networking issues on the NUC it’s never been able to negotiate the 1Gbps link and both lights end up as green.

In those cases it’s typically been a driver issue so this not only suggests that the link is OK, but that the kernel driver is functioning as intended.

1 Like

So I tried the disable and reenable the LAN device in the BIOS.

I turned the NUC off. Disconnected the NUC ethernet cable. Did the NUC BIOS update again, which went okay. Went into the BIOS setup and made sure everything was okay. Disabled the LAN and WAN in the BIOS and saved the setting. Powered up the NUC while still not connected to the router. ROCK boots with RoonOS 1.0 (build 157) stable.

Powered the NUC off. Powered the NUC back on and turned the LAN and WAN back on in the BIOS settings. The NUC powered back up.

Powered the NUC off. Connected the ethernet cable to the NUC. Plugged in a USB drive with ROCK to do a reinstall. Reinstall finished, ROCK rebooted and was assigned IP address 192.168.15.5.

ROCK web interface was accessible on the laptop for a few minutes. Then it disconnected.

One thing that puzzles me. NUC says that it has the Samsung SSD 960 EVO 250GB as its boot drive. Also has the option of LAN : IBA CL Slot 00FE v0110 as a boot drive. Should that be there? Could this be the problem?