How to initialize a device

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
windows 10
TEXT GOES HERE

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

TEXT GOES HERE

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

TEXT GOES HERE

Description Of Issue

TEXT GOES HERE

Hi @tim_mcgreevy,

Can you elaborate a bit on what you’re trying to do? We’ll be happy to help!

We have some information about setting up audio devices here in our KB but if that’s not what you’re looking for just let us know!

thanks for replying. my situation is as follows; I am trying to use my Pro-Ject S2 dac as a zone in Roon but when I attempt to use it I get the message 'failed to initialize the device"! my question is simply how do I initialize this device? Oddly I am able to use the Pro-Ject in ASIO. But I want to use it in Wasapi or Wasapi exclusive mode or in Direct Sound mode. I am using a HP laptop as my streaming device with windows 10 connected via usb I am desperate please help!

Hi @tim_mcgreevy,

Can you try uninstalling and reinstalling the Wasapi drivers?

1 Like

I’d love to but I don’t know how

This happens to me. Once you’ve opened Roon, try turning the device off/on and select a track. I’ve got fed up of this and use ASIO (SMSL M500/XMOS USB driver 2.67) but this trick works for me.

Uninstalling and reinstalling the driver doesn’t work for me. I have Win 10 pro 64-bit and Device Manager indicates that the driver has not migrated (but it generally works except I suspect this causes the annoying initialisation problem).

I’m interested in whether you have the same issue. Right click start> Device Manager and look for the DAC>right click (properties)>events. Do have have a message something like this:

thanks for responding. I’m afraid that my technological abilities are woefully insufficient to allow me to follow your suggestions properly. I was able to get to the screen you directed me to but the data displayed was different. it appears that my asio driver is not the same as yours. I have been using ASIO and it’s been working well enough so like you I guess I’ll continue. But it doesn’t seem right that something in Roon is prohibiting from using the best mode. I don’t want to waste your time and I appreciate your responsiveness but if you have any other suggestions I’d like to keep this dialogue going a bit longer.

Have you tried turning your DAC off and on whilst Roon is running (remember to select non asio first). This works for me.

I’m interested in seeing whether you have a ‘device not migrated’ under events (you may need to scroll down).

Ok I did the turn off/on thing and I’m getting Wasapi! Unfortunately it’s now playing in MQB NOT MQA! What gives? Also when I checked the driver events it said that the driver had not migrated. Hang in there you’re doing a great job. Is MQB INFERIOR TO MQA? In addition my MQA HAS BEEN CUTTING OUT AND ITS NOT WITH MQB! Go figure

I misspoke about driver not migrating. I’m sure it did earlier but when I just checked again there is no mention of migration. Thanks again your patience will be rewarded!

Eureka! I am currently in my favorite chair listening to the Allman Brothers…IN WASAPI!! ON TIDAL. With no MQA cutting out! Thank you very much for your help and diligence in assisting me in resolving these issues! I was seriously considering cancelling ROON altogether but your responsiveness turned me completely around. I wish I could tell you exactly which piece of advice did the trick but I didn’t understand half of what you told me (my fault). I do know that I uninstalled/reinstalled the drivers for the Pro-Ject S2 and that may have been the answer. thanks again for patience and help!!

1 Like

Hello @tim_mcgreevy,

Glad to hear you’re enjoying some Skydog, enjoy :guitar:

If you run into any new issues please feel free to open a new thread, we’re here to help!

-John

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.