How to replace a hard disk with a larger one, ROON NOT recognizing the new disk as the old one

Roon Core Machine

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.2
Apple M1
memory 16GB

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Ethernet connection via SOtM sms-200 Ultra streamer

Connected Audio Devices

SOtM sms-200 Ultra streamer connected via USB to an Aqua La Voce DAC

Number of Tracks in Library

29000 tracks

Description of Issue

My 2TB hard disk is nearly full. I would like to replace it for a 4TB new one but do not wish to lose all the metadata information I have been able to gather. I tried naming the device as the old 2TB and copying all the files as they were on the previous one but ROON failed to recognize it as the same disk/Music folder.
In the past, I have been able to switch from a 1TB to a 2TB without any problem, but now I am failing.
Any suggestions on how to do the migration without any conflicts? Thanks in advance!

Take a backup with the original disk in place. Change the disk and restore the backup. Finally make sure you are pointed at the new disk in Roon and it should sort itself out.

1 Like

Thank you, Henry! Will try doing that and let you know. Best wishes, Juan

Is your 2TB drive a USB drive or network share? If it is a USB drive, can you:

1. Copy all of your folders/directories using the same structure from the 2TB drive to the new 4TB drive
  2. Don’t name the 4TB drive the same as the 2TB drive, name it something differently
  3. Under Roon’s Settings → Storage tab, disable the storage path used by the 2TB drive
  4. Add the storage path to the 4TB drive and Roon should find the new storage and import your files with all of your metadata in place

Always best to create a backup from wtihin Roon before you do any of this.

2 Likes

Thank you, Robert. Will keep you updated.

1 Like

This might also help

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.