How to startup Roon without internet connection for a week

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Roon Core: Msi Procarbon motherboard / Intel corei7 8th gen.ssd with linuxmint and Roon server.
Roon Remote: Laptop running Windows 10.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Switch: TPlink
Endpoint: Allo USBridge Sig. with Dietpi OS.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Description Of Issue
Hi,
I found that Roon doesn’t start running if there is no active internet connection (I assume that is for autenticacion purposes). Is it possible to run Roon without internet.
My zones don’t have internet since last week, is there any solution.
I could live without Tidal but my local library should be playable and visible from my remote device (actually laptop).

This should not present a problem. See also the discussion and statements in the following thread:

How did you find out? What does not work/where does Roon hang? Why is there no internet? Is it an outside interruption or is your router/modem broken? Is your router still providing IP-addresses to the clients?

there is no internet because a problem in the internet box in the terrace of the builling and just because of the covid19 the internet provider didnt come to repair the problem yet.is there any way that I can listen to my local music at least?

I was never advised ever by Roon developers that the player was so internet dependant…

Prior to having Roon, how did you play your local library?

I used to play with Jriver.but actually I use an endpoint that has roonbridge preinstalled ,it is an Allousbridge connected via an ethertnet switch to the main core server who has linux and roonserver .i am not able to play my music the jriver way because i should have to reconfigure the whole setup,that is optimized for roon of course… how can I listen to my local music with no internet connection using roon plse. no one answered my question yet… pls any suggestions???

You can’t … Roon must be connected in order for it to revalidate that the licence is still valid … once validated it should be good for about another 30 days disconnected.

You are posting on here so I presume you must have some connectivity… mobile phone or tablet device.

Most phone devices support a private WiFi hotspot

If you active that on the phone and then connect the Windows PC that is running Roon to that WiFi hotspot … the PC will now have internet access.

Thus the Roon should then be able to connect to the Roon cloud services and revalidate itself.

Once done should you wish … switch the hotspot off … and Roon will be ok for about a month not connected.

Alternatively ask a friendly neighbour you could hook up to their WiFi as a guest for short time.

(I did this for my neighbour last year when their ISP had problems but my connection (different provider) was ok.)

Hi @wilfredo_sanchez,

Roon should be able to run for some time without an internet connection, but you will periodically need to check in for authentication purposes. As Carl suggested, you should be able to use hotspot to authenticate and then disable hotspot. After that Roon should work fine for you without the connection (except for streaming and other internet-dependent features).

You do need a working local area network even if internet service is not available when your music is stored on a NAS.

Yes, once the authentication is well done I have to keep the server ON 24/7 all time to keep the logon active as I can see…

Hi @wilfredo_sanchez,

After a reboot you’re no longer able to log in?

Can you reproduce this once more and make a note of the time you reboot and the time you’re met with the login screen?

no.after the server reboot the authentication or login is not possible without an internet acces on the core /server machine…

Hi @wilfredo_sanchez,

The next time this happens and Roon starts up asking for login information would you kindly use the directions found here and send us over a set of logs using a shared Dropbox link? Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.