How to stay on old version instead update to 2.0

thanks for the link … however, it does not seem to address the procedures (if any) needed to stay with 1.8 for those who have NOT upgraded to 2.0.

is it as simple as “do nothing” or is it more involved?

also, at the moment i have downloaded the iOS 1.8 legacy app …but when trying to connect to the core i get these screens indicating an incompatibility and/or necessary update:

1 Like

Same here. What you have to do is download the 1.8 legacy apps on the iPhone and iPad. Then go to your MacMini and download the legacy all in one app or server app (according to what you use). I dont know about the full app, but for the Server app, you have to delete the prior version, before installing the legacy. (macOS will not let 2 server apps in the application folder). Then run the new server and connect with the 1.8 legacy app either or the phone or iPad.

answered my own question:

i updated my ROCK core to the legacy version as downloaded the macOS remote legacy version as described in the roon migration instructions (linked upthread) …all is working as expected.

so, those wishing to stay with 1.8 must install the legacy version on all devices, core and remotes.

If this is the case, it is crazy to have to switch off the automatic updates because Roon cannot deal with this.

Unfortunately roonlabs has no control over the exact timing their apps are made available on the App Store and Play Store. They can click the publish button in these stores, but it could take one or several hours before users can actually see them. There isn’t much that roonlabs can do here.

1 Like

If I have read some of the comments correctly, ROON 2.0 requires continuous internet access to run whereas 1.8 require a “phone home” once a month. If correct, a drop in your telco or ISP may kill your ability to listen to music…is this correct? If so, a deal breaker.

No - you can stay on 1.8 by just not upgrading (I have always disabled auto updates). That is what I have done, until I have a chance to update the Mac mini running my core to Monterey since it is currently running a version of MacOS not compatible with Roon 2.0.

But, as aKnyght says above, this isn’t completely true, especially if a remote had auto updated. Now you are in a dilemma where nothing works - the roon 2.0 app won’t connect til the Core is upgraded, and the legacy app also refuses to connect.

I’m hoping thaat just installing the legacy core package over the original 1.8 is good enough. But I have to redo all the installs since nothing is compatible with itself anymore. I need to stay running 1.8 until I can build a new host.
-Alan

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but even after turning off the auto updates, you will be nagged to update every time you run roon remote. To avoid that, install the “1.8 build 1126 production1x” updates.

This is bad advice and if you follow it you will have to deal with the constant “update available” pop-ups and you will receive no further updates for critical fixes to 1.8.

Install 1.8 Legacy as detailed in the help center post linked above.

I did turn off the auto updates on my IOS devices, but somehow the update happened anyway on two iPads. And once an IOS device updates, it will no longer work with the older version of Roon. So I followed the instructions in a different support thread. Deleted all versions and downloaded and reinstalled Roon 1.8 (Legacy) on all IOS devices as well as my windows PC.

That is correct. The huge advantage of deleting the 1.8 version (that is, the version that was installed as of 24 hours ago) and installing the 1.8 Legacy version is that it kills all of the endless and annoying messages to upgrade. It also stops any unintentional upgrades to 2.0.

I’d like to thank Roon for providing this option for all of us. I read a few of the messages complaining that we weren’t given advance warning. I honestly think that point is misplaced. Even if you turned off the autosave or auto upgrade on Roon devices, you would have still been harassed with messages to upgrade, and when you then manually select which apps to upgrade, it is easy to unintentionally select Roon in any case. The advantage of the 1.8 Legacy version is that all of the upgrade messages stop, so it is a whole lot easier to just delete the version that you had 24 hours ago, and reinstall the Legacy version.

My quick and rough count is that approximately 400 messages have been posted in the support section since the release of version 2.0. That is 400 in only about 24 hours. I haven’t read them all to verify that they all concern problems with 2.0, but the vast majority appear to do so.

I’ll stay on 1.8 for at least several months, or until at least two or three more releases of version 2 have been issued. When we are on 2.3 or 2.4 and all the problems have been ironed out, I will attempt the upgrade.

I haven’t read all of the directions to install ARC, but have read a few of the threads, with all of the details about changes that must be made to a router to get it to work. I have no desire to have to deal with all of that. For many Roon users, myself included, that is beyond our abilities and expertise.

I also read several of the threads concerning whether 2.0 represents a security risk. Obviously there is a difference of opinion on that issue, and I lack the expertise to judge who is correct.

My conclusion is that there appear to be credible security concerns, expressed by reasonable people who appear to have technical expertise on these matters.

I would like those to be addressed before upgrading as well. Or at least, with the passage of time, confirmation that the fears of security issues are either confirmed, or not, in the event that security problems don’t occur.

1 Like

I do understand that of course. However, @aKnyght said “you must” install Legacy to stay on 1.8. That is incorrect, at least for the time being.

I’m curious, is the price of admission to stay on Roon 1.8 that you must be harassed by that completely obnoxious Pop-Up notice every time you open the App on your damn phone? No this obnoxious message is not new but good god man, kill it with fire already.

And another thing, whats with the need for a constant Internet connection now being required for your system to work once on 2.0? Maybe there are some who have multiple ISP pipes leading into there house and never experience an Internet outage but I suspect most people are not so fortunate, including myself. Roon already knows you have a paid subscription because of the initial phone home step when first setting it up, what more do you want beyond that which needs to talk back to the Mothership at all times? I think the 30 day option made sense but a constant connection not so much and may just be the straw that broke the camels back for me with Roon.

Is the assumption at Roon that everyone will jump at the idea of using ARC thus the enforcement of a constant Internet connection with 2.0? If so, I think that is a bad assumption. Personally I have exactly zero need or want for ARC myself.

2 Likes

I agree, the pop-ups are obnoxious. But honestly, the solution is easy. I have four iPads positioned around my house to control Roon. It took less than 20 minutes to delete Roon from the iPads and my Windows PC, and then install Roon 1.8 Legacy. Once you do that, there are no more pop-up messages.

As also noted by Andrew (Roon staff) above, they will apparently issue updates and critical fixes for Roon 1.8 Legacy, but not for the old version of 1.8. At least that is how I interpret his post, but Andrew can confirm.

I also have no need for ARC. That is why I am sticking with the stable 1.8 Legacy version for now.

When I counted the number of requests for support of 2.0 – around 400 as of several hours ago – it was an easy choice, at least for me. In addition to the security concerns that have been expressed about 2.0, see my prior post.

Hi,

can you give a brief explanation as to how an upgrade that makes the core obsolete is compatible with lifetime membership?

My poor old dad now has to buy a new computer if he wants to continue using Roon with support beyond the 12 month legacy support offered?

It waters down the lifetime offer.

1 Like

This is the key, right here. Step by step:

I’ve done this and no more upgrade nag, and no worries about an accidental 2.0 upgrade. :+1:

The software is lifetime, you honestly expect software to run on say a pc from twenty years ago?
As an example of why Roon and others have to move on. The manufacturers of the main operating systems Google, Microsoft and Apple withdraw support for older systems on a rolling basis.
Windows 7, 8 are unsupported, 8.1 goes in January, windows 10 in 2025 etc…
No application vendor can offer support once the operating system is unsupported.

Here a paragraph from the latest Naim software release.

“Another change is that users of iPhones and iPads will need to be running at least iOS 13.1. We periodically increase the minimum supported iOS version to ensure our app can make use of the latest features offered by Apple.”

1 Like

No Ged,

I expect the support portion of the lifetime offer to continue. The software plus support was the offer, one aspect of that has been removed.

Tom

Did the license terms state unlimited support for every outdated version? That would be unusual terms.

But there is continuing support for V2 and onward. Your asking for support for a specific set of conditions and I understand why but that’s just not how things work in reality.
For example I bought windows 10 but my pc is too old for the free upgrade to Windows 11 as I don’t have a tpm chip. So I either carry on with w10 after its support ends or buy a new pc.