How to upgrade from Nucleus+ to Nucleus Titan

I didn’t see a post exactly about this. I recently took advantage of the trade-in opportunity to get a Nucleus Titan. In case others are going through the process, here is what I did.

1. Backup the Nucleus+ via the Roon app. Go to Settings in the app, then selects Backups. I used a USB stick for this. Backup was pretty quick.
  2. Connect to the Nucleus+ via the web UI and click Reset under Roon Database & Settings
  3. Shutdown the Nucleus+ via the rear button. Unplug everything.
  4. Plug USB stick into the Nucleus Titan.
  5. Connect network and power to Nucleus Titan
  6. Open Roon app. Tell it to select a new Roon server. The Nucleus Titan was immediately found.
  7. Update Nucleus Titan.
  8. Reselect Nucleus Titan as new Roon server.
  9. Go back to Backups under Settings in the Roon app. Select the folder from the USB stick with the backup and restore.

That seems to have done the trick. Roon app is now connected to my new Nucleus Titan. The library shows up as before. And I didn’t have to setup the connection to my NAS music location.

For those who know, please confirm if these are the best steps or if I made it more complicated than needed. Thanks!

Also, for the Roon folks, it would be great to include a page from the QR code on the smoothest upgrade procedure for existing owners. Thanks!

4 Likes

Really helpful post and will help many people.

2 Likes

Can confirm every step on my N+ → Titan transition. Thank you @Steve_Bjorg !!

Steve thanks much - when to install the internal SSD first?

1 Like

Sorry, I can’t help with that. My collection is on a NAS, so I don’t use the built-in drive.

1 Like

I posted on that topic:

I can’t help much with the installation guide, although I’m sure that I have seen on so far.

However, the SSD’s (or HDDs) that you can fit for internal storage are the same spec as for other Nucleus devices.

2.5in for factor sata SDD no more than 15mm thick.

Many trading in (or otherwise upgrading) older Nucleus devices are advised/reminded to remove the storage SSD from the old Nucleus so that it can be fitted into the Titan.

Because the internal storage can only be used for media storage and that is typically written once and then only ever read, there is no need for an expensive, high performance, highly wear tolerant SSD. Instead, the cheaper SSD’s like the Samsung 870 QVO series (available in capacities from 1TB to 8TB) are perfectly adequate.

1 Like

Sorry. Got my threats mixed up. Still too early in the morning here!

1 Like

Thanks so much for this post and guide. Sharing my version of it based on my experiences tonight.

Because new software was released today, I am adding a step 0 and some other notes regarding the drive if applicable.

1. Upgrade your current Nucleus+ to the latest system software. This will ensure that your Roon app, ARC and Nucleus are running the same software that will end up on the new Titan. This will ensure the compatibility of the backups.
  2. Backup the Nucleus+ via the Roon app. Go to Settings in the app, then selects Backups. I used a USB stick for this. Backup was pretty quick. (100% agreed - the USB stick or a USB HD are better than backing up to a network destination because it makes restoring the database easier. However, you could use network drive if that is all you have access to.
  3. Connect to the Nucleus+ via the web UI and click Reset under Roon Database & Settings
  4. Shutdown the Nucleus+ via the rear button. Unplug everything.
    4a. If applicable, remove the SSD drive from the old unit (search these forums and the user guide for instructions).
    4b. If applicable, open the new Roon Titan and install the drive. Again, search the forums and also scroll up for a link to instructions.
  5. Plug USB stick or back up device into the Nucleus Titan. If you are using a network folder, skip to the next step.
  6. Connect network and power to Nucleus Titan
    6a. At this stage, I found the MAC address for my Titan on my router and set my network to assign the same IP address used previously. This will ensure ARC will run correctly with my port set up.
    6b. I then connected to the web interface of the Roon and did the software upgrade from this screen.
  7. Open Roon app. Tell it to select a new Roon server. The Nucleus Titan was immediately found.
  8. You will be asked to sign into your Roon account. I had to deauthorize my old Nucleus to move forward.
  9. Update Nucleus Titan to the latest software. (if not done earlier in 6b.)
  10. Reselect Nucleus Titan as new Roon server. (if needed - I did not have to do this)
  11. Go back to Backups under Settings in the Roon app. Select the folder from the USB stick with the backup and restore.
2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.