How to use Roon without Internet

Hi,
Due to the recent storms in France, my Internet access will be down for some days. What an opportunity to listen to more music, isn’t it? But unfortunately it looks like Roon requires online verification to start.
When I have subscribed to a Roon lifetime license, I believed that I could enjoy MY music forever, no matter my connection, or even Roon’s servers connection. My mistake.
Any way to activate Roon off line ?
Regards,
Rod

4 Likes

If you are using Roon version 2.0, then you must have a permanent connection to the internet…

Is your home internet access down, or all internet?
Maybe you can try to setup your mobile phone as a hotspot.

2 Likes

Use Roon ARC on phone or tablet with cellular data, if you have downloaded local files to ARC, OF COURSE.

EDIT: If you have lots of local files, try Audirvana Origin for such occasions. It’s $119.99 for a lifetime subscription, but only works with local files, with or without internet access. Use cellular hotspot to download, install, and authenticate.

2 Likes

Thank you for your replies.
Up to now, I was happy with version 2.0 which solved major issues with the Kef LSX that I experienced with 1.8.
Disconnection is on the provider side. If it takes too much time to recover, I’ll try a mobile alternative as suggested.
In the mean time, I have to accept my state of high dependency to Roon servers that I hadn’t realized yet.

I would also try to let Roon play continuously (just) before the planned interruption. Although it is stated that Roon 2.0 always needs internet connectivity, I have read in some posts that it continues to play even without internet.
Doesn’t hurt if it does not work.

How can he use arc with no internet it need to connect to the core to work unless he’s offlined a lot of music to start with.

1 Like

It doesn’t at all it stops how quick it stops varies but it’s not hours I can assure you.

1 Like

It’s a pain in the arse and something I have been bitten by. There really is no need for the the way it is search still continues to suck.

3 Likes

I have LMS, Plex and UPnP all waiting in the wings just in case.

1 Like

I just keep an updated instance of 1.8 Legacy for such occasions. Thankfully, I haven’t had to use it yet.

Not much use as dB isnt compatible from 2 to 1.8 so you have to keep switching coress to make sure its up to date on 1.8 id b doing this every week sometimes more as I am always adding new music. One instance of this software is enough for me, its finicky enough without managaing two instances and definitely isnt my idea of fun.

I have my HDD mirrored. So it’s simply a matter of copying over music to the spare drive now and then. Very little time taken to do, a matter of 5 mins (x2 5TB), if that. I keep the original 1.8 database. It’ll read it and add the new music, and off I go. As it’s the same on both instances, there’s no difference, except one doesn’t have ARC. Just think of it as a complete mirror. One just de-authorises the licence.

Not when you have made signifanct edits its not as I would loose them all. Id loose all my tags too that I have added.

Yeah, I can see that. I don’t have many so I have barely any edits/tags, or playlists.

Unfortunately, my usage of Roon is not only playing tunes on a computer. Roon has become the heart of our home music system with wifi speakers in all rooms. Setting up an alternative in a hurry, without the help of Internet is a too much time-consuming task for the moment.
I still cannot understand why an online a authentication is needed for just playing music. Lifetime subscription has been compared many times as a hardware investment. What if amp vendors or turntable manufacturers would require Internet connection to allow power on?
It’s not just about finding a technical workaround. Today, for the first time, I feel I do not own my audio system.

27 Likes

They came up with same lame excuse that to improve search it needed to be cloud based so needed to be always on as a result it’s not the license per se. Yet over a year later and all is the same I suppose it might come. I feel it’s something else as well but what that is remains a mystery.

5 Likes

Well my last post got removed because apparently the entire community was offended, I am not so sure.

But in short, the development team need to sort it out, not having access to my own local library when the internet is down, is not acceptable.

removing this post is censorship pure and simple and will determine if I subscribe next year or not.

18 Likes

Posts get removed for a variety of reasons including but not limited to being flagged by the community members.

However the question you raise is not the topic of this thread and your repeated posts complaining of Roon without Internet is getting close to axe grinding and will not be tolerated.
Roon staff have made it abundantly clear their reasons and their stance on this subject, you would be well advised to read a few threads if you are unaware of the status.
Thank you for your compliance.

3 Likes

Roon 2.0 will maybe run without an internet connection but not for very long.

I had a gap in internet supply when I changed ISP I deliberately tried to run Roon , it lasted 10 minutes and only if the Remote App was up and running first.

1 Like