HQ Player and Musicserver X50

Hello community,

I am very impressed by the quality of the HQ Player. I am now going to set up a chain with HQ Player embedded and NAA (better optical connection or Ethernet?).
My question: Can I also integrate my Cocktailaudio X50 music server with CD player into this chain? How could that work? The X50 can also handle DSD 256…

Thank you very much for some ideas.
Best regards
HH

Ethernet connection should be better

If you’re going to use HQPlayer embedded the X50 can work as UPNP server.
Using it as a dac unfortunately the only digital inputs available are coax/toslink therefore you can take just a very little advantage as DSD/DoP on those connections is limited to DSD/DoP 64.
I don’t see any way to use the X50 cd player function in these configurations

Hello, Stefano,

thanks for the answer - that helps. One question about the NAA: Is this performace enough to build a good NAA? Intel®Celeron® 3900T 2x2.60GHz | 8GB DDR4 | 128 GB SSD | USB3 | Windows 11 Prof. 64-Bit |

Which image do I need?

Best regards
HH

It seems more than powerful for NAA (NAA runs on rpi4 too)
The windows installation file is the last one

Many thanks for the information. I would like to set up this computer for the HQ Player 5 embedded: Intel Core,i7-12650H (10 Core 16 Thread, up to 4.7 Ghz) 16GB DDR4 512GB M.2 SSD

Will it then work with the NAA on a Windows basis? HQ Player 5 embedded works on Linux…

Is the performance sufficient for 512 DSD - 48 khz with the “good” filters?
Best regards
HH

Instead of Windows, I would strongly recommend to boot NAA OS image on that device. Unless you have a particular reason to use Windows.

Why!?

Hello Jussi,

my idea: A small NAA near the hi-fi system to go into the DAC with USB.
The HQ 5 embedded computer is then (outside) in the study and is connected to the NAA via Ethernet.
The NAA: Intel®Celeron® 3900T 2x2.60GHz | 8GB DDR4 | 128 GB SSD | USB3 | Windows 11 Prof. 64-Bit

You could also run the NAA with Linux.

The HQ Player 5 embedded: Intel Core,i7-12650H (10 Core 16 Thread, up to 4.7 Ghz) 16GB DDR4 512GB M.2 SSD
With two partitions - one for Windows and work, the other with Linux and HQ 5 embedded after work… :slight_smile:

Is this a good idea? Is the performance sufficient for 512 DSD - 48 khz with the “good” filters? I am open to other ideas…

Yes, I believe it should work. Of course I have not tested that particular low TDP CPU model, but I would expect it to work without issues in that kind of setup.

Thank you very much,

I am toying with the idea of ordering an rpi4 when building the NAA:

• How large should the RAM memory be?
  • Which power supply is suitable from an audiophile point of view?
  • Is there anything to consider when selecting the housing?

Thank you very much for your answers…

4GB is large enough

I use the standard rpi psu

I can recommend this one

1 Like

NAA OS takes about 160 MB of RAM when booted up and playing DSD512. So RAM is not much of an issue…

Thank you very much,

which current image is recommended for a Raspberry Pi 4 model B; 4 GB, ARM-Cortex-A72 4 x, 1.50 GHz, 4 GB RAM?

There is only one for RPi4, latest version is 4.6.0.

I also need a new LAN cable (approx. 15 meters) to set up the network. What do the experts recommend: CAT 6 or CAT 8?

Best regards

CAT 6A U/UTP, 500 MHz spec. This is optimal for audio use. And good for 10 GBps speeds up to 100m distance.

You need CAT 8 only if you need to go to 40 Gbps speed on copper. And CAT 8 has the problem that it has grounded shields (because of 2 GHz frequency spec) end to end which causes significant ground current design issues and totally spoils the galvanic isolation that Ethernet would otherwise provide. So if you’d consider going CAT 8, I’d rather switch to optical fiber instead, since that doesn’t have any of the ground current / galvanic isolation issues and can reach even higher speeds than CAT 8 (100+ Gbps).

CAT 7 in the middle doesn’t offer any speed improvement over CAT 6A U/UTP, but has down sides of CAT 8 in terms of isolation (doesn’t exist). So certainly not recommended for any audio use.

Hello, community,

first of all, thank you Jussi for the cable-informations. But now I’m stuck and can’t get any further. I have now booted the laptop with the embedded version sse42. The laptop is connected to the DAC via USB and Ethernet LAN. If I now enter “root”, “root@hqplayer…” appears. I cannot access the web interface with my tablet via http://hqplayer.local:8088. The ipconfig command also returned an IP address that I cannot use to access the web interface…
What am I doing wrong? Any tips will be gratefully accepted…
Best regards
HH

Are you able to ping the HQPlayer IP? What kind of error do you get from the browser when trying to access web interface?

Ping is ok: 3 ms and no loss. The Webbowser says: 192.168.xxx.xx has refused a connection.
I have restarted the router, switched off the repeater - now I have no idea…

I have now tried the http://hqplayer.local:8088 again and it works!!! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: What could that have been?
Thank you very much for the support

The web interface still does not work on Android (tablet). “Insecure site” he says. Are there any (security) settings that I need to change?