HQ Player discussion thread

I’d suggest to play with the different filters. See also the filter tread in this hqplayer area.

I managed to HQPLayer working.
I am noticing the drop off in volume though even though I have rest my max and min db levels.

If you are playing DSD files, there is a 6 dB drop off in volume which is part of SACD spec.
In Diff/DSF Setting you can enable +6 dB, but at the same you must have your Max Vol set at -3 dB to avoid unwanted clipping.
I suggest to keep Max Vol at -3 dB always.
Min Vol is up to you. Something between -30 dB and -60 dB would do.

1 Like

OK I solved my issue with low volume - I just had made an error with the dB setting.

I don’t really have much of an idea about HQPlayer except I read about the plug in and it sounds fantastic through Roon now that I have set it up. Listening to a Sam Smith live concert track and it sounds as though he is in the room :slightly_smiling:

My PC set up is:
Very High end PC > optical out to an Audiogenie D1 DAC > Audiogenie A2+ PC speakers.
Only currently streaming via airplay to the other areas of the house, including a Cambridge Audio amp and Mordaunt Short speakers.

Whilst HQ player sounds great, I wonder if I have things optimally set up…

• My optical cable is running from the optical out on my existing PC sound card.
  • It plugs into the back of my DAC, so I am assuming I am bypassing my internal card.
  • In HQPLayer I have set my device to Realtek Digital Optical Output (which is my PC card)
  • In Roon I have set up this same output as well as my DAC, both were shown in devices.
    I have also set up HQPlayer in Roon
    HQPLayer is selected in Roon and I am streaming from TIDAL HIFI

Everything seems to be working fine.

I have made the rather large assumption that because i chose the PC soundcard digital optical within HQPlayer it will source it and realise that its routed out to the DAC. I have assumed this because I have no speakers connected directly to my PC so I’d get no sound if it was not passing through to the DAC and onto the speakers… all a bit confusing and I am sure I have made a mistake somewhere, but the main thing I guess is that the music sounds blooming brilliant!

I am having trouble getting HQP to upsample redbook to DSD on a Marantz HD-DAC1. Hoping someone can show a screen print of their HQP settngs. I can play DSD files fine and upsample RB to 192KHz but it won’t go to DSD. I am sure it is something very simple but it really has me stumped. I am going Roon -> HQP -> Sose -> HD-DAC1 (usb).

1 Like

FWIW, here are screenshots of my (office) HQP v3.13.0 Settings and DSDIFF/DSF settings. A lot of the settings depend on one’s hardware setup and capabilities, so what works for me may not be optimal for you.

Based on your description, if I had to guess what your problem was, it would be that you have “DirectSDM” checked in the DSDIFF/DSF settings.

`

What output mode do you have selected on the main screen ?

Thanks for the help guys. As andybob pointed out I had not changed the front screen setting from auto to SDM(DSD).
TBH I thought this screen was if you were using HQP as the player and not Roon and didn’t look too hard at them. Now the fun starts in going through all the filters :smile:

1 Like

I have my roon library stored on computer A, as well as HQ Player installed on this computer.

On computer B, I access my roon library as a remote. I also have HQ player installed on this machine.

When I use computer B, I am unable to access the version of HQ Player installed on this machine.

How do I access HQ Player on this machine?

Hi,

Go into Roon’s setting and then audio.

Then click add network player (beta), and give it the IP address of the machine (computer B) that’s running the second copy of HQP.

Thanks,

All working now.

I think I’ve been led to believe that I can use ROON/HQ on Computer B (a 2nd MAC acting as a ROON remote) connected to my DAC and hi-fi while Computer A (1st MAC with ROON CORE) is on the wired network elsewhere.

So far, I can’t get this to work - any step-by-step settings welcome.

[quote=“Jonny_Birrell, post:235, topic:6074”]
So far, I can’t get this to work - any step-by-step settings welcome.
[/quote]What have you tried thus far and what aspect is not working?

I have ROON Core with HQ on Computer A wired and on Network. I have added an additional HQ Player (B) and given it IP address of Computer B in ROON. It is on Core Audio on HQ preferences.

Computer B is running as a ROON Remote, has HQ Player and Network Audio installed and running (I think - I don’t know what the prompt is or terminal should indicate). It is connected to DAC - in HQ preferences, Computer B is set to NAA.

If I choose what I think is the MAC NAA - it won’t connect.

Hi Jonny,

See these instructions generally.

There were two things in your description that might be creating issues.

Firstly, you need to press the “Allow Control from Network” button in HQP on Computer B. This tells HQP to look for control signals on more ports.

Secondly, Computer B is not operating as an NAA in this architecture. The Ethernet connection between A and B is prior to HQP on B. The HQP output on Computer B should be directly to your DAC.

It works!

Fantastic Andy. Thank you very much.

1 Like

Is anybody else experiencing having their sound stopping when the track changes? I am having intermittent problems where when it advances to the next song the sound stops. It keep playing but no sound. I gets slight pop between songs or when I hit stop also. When the sound stops I can usually in the back button or stop and start and the sound starts playing again.

I am running an iMac with a quad core i5 and 8 gb of ram. I am up sampling to dvd 256 with an iFi Idsd mini. I use the poly sync 2s filter. I love the sound but I would like to solve this issue. Any help is greatly appreciated!

@Tim_Clardy Are you on the latest build of HQP (3.13.1) and Build 102 of Roon? Also are you playing an album, or are you playing a playlist with tracks of different rates?

I am on 3.13 and build 102 of Roon. It happens on both playlists and albums. Seems to happen more on playlists with different rates though. I was playing a playlist with a wide variety of rates Saturday and it happened four or five times.

You may want to report this to @jussi_laako

I have had the playback pause when going either from DSD to PCM sources or PCM to DSD sources. My understanding is HQP takes some time to initialize when the source format changes resulting in temporary interruption. Does it ever start playing if you wait for some time (a minute even)?

For me, on albums it happens only when the album is finished playing and the Roon’s radio functionality kicks in and it tries to play a different album/track with a different sample rate. I do not use playlist with tracks of different rates but I can see it happen. I normally hit pause, wait a few seconds and then hit play.