HQ Player discussion thread

Looks like I needed to update my version of HQPlayer (despite only installing it a couple of weeks ago!). Now I have a button to press in order to allow control from network :smile:

64bit Roon wonā€™t change HqPlayer upsampling performance, they both have their own access to RAM and most systems already run a 64bit OS. When using 32bit Windows, switching to 64 bit Windows will make things better.

I am using Roonserver and couldnā€™t get the integration done. There is no ā€œAdd Network Deviceā€ option on my iPad. How could I get around it? Also, after installing the 64 bit Roonserver, my iPad shows ā€œRoon Version 1.1 (build 88) stableā€. It did not display ā€œ64 bitā€. Is that normal?

Thanks for the setup info. Itā€™s working perfectly for me - even upsampling Tidal to DSD. Cool. Looks like Iā€™ll be using HQP full time now with itā€™s new slick Roon UI.

When you have HQ player set up to use as a zone, does Roon automatically launch HQ Player, or do you have to first have to have HQ Player running to use Roon?

Is there anyone else who canā€™t get this working? I have followed the instructions and set it up correctly, but no music will start, when I choose the HQ player as the zone. Is there some settings in HQ that I need to set, before being able to use it? I am on OS X El Capitan and the trial version of HQ Player.

Can you successfully use HQP without Roon? That is, direct playback from HQP from your music library?

If yes, then it means your Roon/HQP settings arenā€™t correct. Is your core Roon install on the same computer as HQP? If so, then HQP should be defined as ā€œlocal hostā€; if itā€™s not on the same computer, try inputting the home network IP address of your HQP machine.

If you canā€™t get output directly from HQP, then check your HQP settings in HQP. Your ā€œbackendā€( usually your software driver) and your device (DAC or device the output goes to) need to be defined.

Also, today there was a new beta of HQP - 3.12 beta 3 - uploaded to the net. If none of the above works, try that.

Dear All:

Just to be clear, there have been circumstances when roon/HQPlayer/DSD64 playback stops. Attempts to resume are not successful, i.e., selecting the track that played and pressing play. I see the level meters moving but no sound and the time line does not move.

I do not know what causes play to interrupt or stop. BUT, I have found consistently, that, if I close HQPlayer and roon; and then relaunch both programs and return to the album I was playing, any impediments cease and playback is trouble free. This remedy has worked every time. I recall in the release notes that the connection between roon and HQPlayer can be lost if any of the following takes place below.

While I am not aware of what I might have done to trigger a stop, or another problem encountered is the track display sticks at one track, the time line stops moving, when the track finishes, the next track plays BUT the display does not update with the track title and the time line is frozen; or something interferes with playback, and attempts to resume playback for the track being played does not result in sound, even though the level meters are moving and nothing I do resumes playback, including attempts to play the next track.

Again, exiting both roon and HQPlayer and restarting both programs allow for the cure of any triggers or impediments. This solution may be too drastic for ease of use, but it works when nothing else I can think of to do succeeds. Again, I am not aware specifically of what I might have done to cause the interruption. I also noticed that after relaunching, tracks play sequentially, displays are accurate, Signal Chain confirms, no stuttering results. In some cases, as I posted earlier, pressing the back control and pressing play restarted the track when stuttering made listening impossible and cured the stuttering. Yet the same solution when play stops does not succeed. So different triggers for me require different solutions. Fortunately, the outcomes converge into successful resumption of the enjoyment of this new update and integration.

Best,
Richard

"Notes for Roon/HQPlayer
When controlling HQPlayer from Roon, use the transport controls within Roon. If Roon detects that youā€™ve manipulated transport controls from HQPlayer, it will stop the music and release control of HQPlayer.

An HQPlayer instance can only be controlled by one external piece of software at a time. This is an HQPlayer limitation. If you attempt to initiate control from another piece of software, Roon will lose control of HQPlayer.

HQPlayer filter settings can be adjusted from within HQPlayer. This works best if you first press the ā€œstopā€ button in HQPlayer, then make the adjustments you want, then proceed in using Roon."

Integration calls for HQplayer 3.12 but the latest version on Synalystā€™s website is 3.11

Can someone tell me how to get 3.12?

http://www.signalyst.com/beta-install.html

Unfortunately, thereā€™s no way around Appleā€™s App Store approval process :cry:

This release finished testing over the weekend and was released to the various platforms last night. Based on past experience, I would guess that it will be about 2 weeks before the new iPad version is approved and live in the App Store. An unfortunate consequence of Appleā€™s walled garden.

I canā€™t load any playlist in HQP either. But what software driver do I need? I have an Hegel HD12 DAC and have installed its DSD driver. But is more needed that that?

Where are you suppose to get HQP 3.12.0? Only 3.11.0 is available on their website. Iā€™m new and have never used HQP but would like to trial it, but also donā€™t want to jump through hoops to get the software.

Experimenting with the trial of HQPlayer, but Iā€™m trying to do my best with a side by side comparison of Roon with and without HQPlayer before I spring for a license. I have a very modest set-up but plan on upgrading over time. One quick question and one longer one. The quick question - I now have a volume control in Roon via HQPlayer. Is there an optimal setting here? Previously, I had Roon set up to allow volume control through my DAC (Schiit Modi).

The longer question - lots of settings in HQ Player. My DAC allows a max sample rate of 96. Should I be up sampling all 44.1 to 88.2? Or is this just listening preference? Are there other settings in HQPlayer that I should look to in order to optimize my sound quality - filters, perhaps? If so, what is the best way to test this out? I feel as though by the time Iā€™m done fiddling with settings, my ability to compare one to other is lost. Thanks!

3.12 is in beta. You can download it from the HQPlayer beta page: http://www.signalyst.com/beta-install.html

Is there anyone else who canā€™t get this working? I have followed the instructions and set it up correctly, but no music will start, when I choose the HQ player as the zone. Is there some settings in HQ that I need to set, before being able to use it? I am on OS X El Capitan and the trial version of HQ Player.

HQPlayer can be a bit tricky to set up. Itā€™s not difficult to choose a configuration in HQPlayer that either wonā€™t start playback, or wonā€™t keep up with the DSP (causing stuttering, dropouts, etc).

Before adding Roon into the mix I would recommend getting HQPlayer into a state where it can play the same kind of content you want to play from Roon directly. Once itā€™s working, try it with Roon.

I updated the screenshotsā€¦strange that he uses a different icon like that :slight_smile:

My guess: to HQPlayer, ā€œsame machineā€ means " machineconnected via loopback interface" (i.e. localhost or 127.0.0.1 in the address field). Iā€™ve updated the text accordingly.

I am able to control HQPlayer with that toolbar setting disabled with localhost in Roonā€™s the address field, but not if I type in the public internet IP of that machine.

I only have a 96k DAC and hereā€™s what works best for me but each person is different.

poly-sinc short
Gauss1

The noise shaping seems dependent on sampling rate and some of the filters do too. Check out the 2nd post from Miska on this thread about what he recommends for each sampling rate.

As far as 88.2 vs 96, depends on your DAC. Some say to only upsample by multiples of 2 but 96 sounds best in my system.

Guys, sorry for interrupting but I canā€™t get it, is HQP should upsample the stream from 44100 up to DSD or not? I own Auralic Vega, and HQP upsamples Red Book till 384khz only. DoP is on. BTW, Should I always chose which type of stream Iā€™m gonna play via Roon in HQP or not? Since right now it plays only when I chose in HQP first the mode (PCM or SDM(DSD)) then I hit the play in Roon and then if everything is correct, it starts playing some tunes. But itā€™s a bit too much steps to perform I guess (always switching the mode of HQP prior the playback)?

Hi Pavel,

Roon does not configure HQP at all, it simply streams bit perfect audio to HQP. You can think of it as adding a Roon front end to HQP.

So yes, you do have to choose between PCM and SDM (DSD) playback in HQP. You can configure default settings in HQP rather than adjust it for every track. See this Kickstart Guide for useful instructions about setting up HQP.

1 Like