HQ Player discussion thread

So it’s a bit useless to use on a headless MAC then? Or I could preconfigure HQP to upsample the RedBook material only (since it benefits most) while running DSD thru the Roon?

@andybob, thanks anyway! Do you have a clue, why it’s not upsamples RedBook till DSD in my case?

If anyone is still looking:
http://www.signalyst.com/beta-install.html
for the latest Roon friendly version.

1 Like

You definitely need access to HQP to configure it. Jussi does provide an embedded version that can be accessed by a tablet, but I haven’t tried it.

I have a Vega and it is happily playing back upsampled local Redbook and Tidal as DSD 128. All I can suggest is carefully following the Kickstsrt Guide to check if there is a selection missing.

You can certainly setup HQP to upsample Redbook and then use other zones in Roon when playing back DSD if you wanted to avoid configuring HQP.

After carefully reading the Kickstart Guide I found that to upsample the RedBook material to DSD I have to chose SDP/DSD in the dropdown menu but when I chose that option and start the playback of any RedBook, it actually does nothing at all or produces just clicks and pops until I chose PCM mode. That’s why it does upsamples till 384 only. But why it doesn’t works till DSD? Man, it’s hard)

@andybob, sorry for that but could you please PM me your screenshots with settings for Vega? Thank you so much for your help!

Pavel - HQP isn’t that flexible. It basically lets you upsample to either PCM or DSD, but not both - to switch you stop it and reset. One of the big reasons to use it is the filtering/dithering/modulation - it’s better than what’s in almost any DAC.
So the idea is sort of to figure out by listening what combination(s) sounds best with your DAC and then use those.
I don’t see any reason why you can’t use ti on a headless MAC.

Yes, Danny, I got it finally that it’s just don’t work on my side somehow. And I don’t know why(

I’m away from my PC atm Pavel but will check back later. One thing I remember is that I had problems with the Vega WASAPI driver in HQP. The ASIO driver worked fine.

Hmm, the driver? I forgot of them when I started using a Mac… Do I need to install any to use the Vega correctly with HQP on a Mac?

Finally: I found the fitting set of filters and stuff to make my Vega upsample the RedBook to DSD 128. Somehow it refuse to go up to 256. Anyway, here is my screenshot, maybe it’ll help someone (Pay attention to the DSD mode (it’s not going up from DSD7) and the bitrate (5644800=DSD128)):

Early Vega only does DSD 256 with a firmware update that requires it to be returned to the distributor.

I remember that but I was hoping that I bought the latest as always, you know)

Under OSX a Vega can play DSD in DoP only, that is DSD128 max.

Replying eleven minuters ago, on the Computer Audiophile forum, to reports of stuttering when using HQplayer under Windows Server 2012, Miska promised to fix a problem in the next release.

I am seeing the same issue as Richard is below… When a playlist completes, or an album completes, or when an individually selected track completes playing, the connection to HQP is lost, and I have to restart HQP to get music again. Annoying, but certainly workable.

On a positive note, I get no stuttering, I have fantastic sound quality, and I can stream “closed form” @ DSD256 from my mid-2012 MacBook Pro to an exaSound E12 DAC. I also have CUDA enabled within HQP.

Thanks Mark,

As per @brian’s post here if you can reliably reproduce the disconnection with a series of defined steps then that will be the first step to solving the issue.

Is disconnection occurring every time one of those events occurs for you, or is it irregular and sometimes occurs, sometimes not ?

I can report the same issue: sometimes at the end of a song/playlist sound stops, even though the Roon interface makes it look like playback continues. Apparently some sort of connection issue between HQP and Roon.

Is anyone else getting a delay of a few seconds when playing/changing/seeking tracks with Roon/HQPlayer?

Yes. This is a result of buffering in HQP and I understand there is not much to be done about it. A stop command (Ctrl-t) seems to interrupt the buffer. Pause and seek controls and the disconnect in the volume section seem to be inserted in the buffer and so are delayed.

Ok thanks for the clarification. Small price to pay tbh. Over the moon with the latest update :smile:

I have also set up HQplayer on a remote computer with no change to my roon core. I have run into an issue with DSD. When I attempt to play a DSD file it disconnects and I cannot establish a pairing between the Roon core and HQplayer remote unless I close both programs and restart it up again. Actually the HQ player closes down with an error message

Also I notice that I can no longer select exclusive mode when choosing HQ player which means I can’t change the DSD to PCM into DSD over PCM mode.

Any suggestions.