HQ Player discussion thread

Is there any way to increase the gain when playing DSD in HQP?

The difference between playing PCM and DSD is way to much for my liking… I found a 6db gain checkbox in the DFF/DSF setting window but that doesn’t seem to do anything when playing 16/44 files converted to DSD.

I too have the same problem.

The problem is exacerbated with upsampling PCM to DSD. However, even with regular PCM files, I have to crank up my preamp considerably more when using HQ player than when using Roon as standalone.

It does seem to work for me. Remember that the DSD recording standard is 6db lower than the PCM standard, so there is a volume difference in mixed playlists.

@danny2, you mean the 6db gain checkbox works for you? If so, are you Mac or PC. I’m on Mac and maybe that function isn’t working on the new beta?

I am 99.9% sure that my problem of losing the HQP connection is very consistent and very reproducible when I come to the end of a playlist / album / individual selection. I have to restart HQP in all of these scenarios. I will test again tonight to be sure.

What info would be useful to capture? I am more than happy to provide any details that would help in fixing this minor issue.

In my HQPlayer preferences, I had to select CoreAudio.

I would’ve thought this could introduce a lossy component in the signal chain, but when I look at the Roon Signal Chain display - like the ones above - it says Signal Chain: Lossless (FLAC -> Roon Out -> Signal Leaves Roon -> HQPlayer).

Is HQPlayer then using CoreAudio to drive my Mac outputs (async USB) ?

Should I consider installing the HQPlayer network driver or other components in order to bypass coreAudio completely, or is all this (above) “as it should be” ?

Thanks.

I think you are fine. The only other option you would have is to select and use specific ASIO drivers for your DAC, if they are available. For example, my two options are to use CoreAudio, or to use ASIO for my exaSound DAC.

Thanks!

I tried selecting an ASIO backend but then my output device disappeared, I could only see it via CoreAudio. (Maybe I should poke around and look for OSX ASIO drivers for my backend devices.)

That’s why I wondered if the NetworkAudioAdapter might help, although my USB output is on the same machine as HQPlayer and Roon core (not over the network).

My (positive) experiences with Amarra and Audirvana has me wanting to avoid CoreAudio whenever possible…

So whenever I get a disconnect, the break link icon in the volume section in bottom right has fixed it ever time. Maybe the break icon should also appear in the Signal Chain popup as well. Kind of hidden. Hopefully in later updates, won’t have use it but at least better than closing and reopening HQPlayer each time.

Having the same stuttering issue, at best I get about 5 seconds of audio before it gets interrupted. Frustrating to say the least. I have tried different filters etc.
If I look at the activity monitor on my Mac mini I see no CPU Spikes or excessive memory usage. Not sure what to do at this point other than to not integrate the two for now. Not sure who the problem lies with.
HQ is a beta so who knows.
Hope it is fixed soon.

Hi All,

I have:

Windows 10
Roon 64bit
Marantz HD-DAC1
HQ Player (newest build)

I have attached a couple of screenshots, showing my setup. I am sure I did something wrong and I hope someone can tell me what. HQ Player plays fine, by itself - I have it upsampling to DSD, but when I try playing anything through Roon, it says “Transport: Could Not Connect To HQ Player”. By the way, all of my music files are from a Drobo 5d USB 3.0 Raid Box - nothing is on the network - all self-contained. PC attached to receiver, Marantz attached to Drobo via USB. Nothing fancy. Thanks.

J. R.

Can not play native DSD files with Hqplayer with Roon.?If I try to play a DSD file the time bar goes from one second to end of song within seconds.No sound and switches to a different album.At this point I have to quit Roon and restart because even my Flac files will not work ?

1 Like

Okay, I didn’t have HQ Player on, but now that I do, when I click play on a file, it just sits there and just keeps accessing the hard drive and not moving past the 0.00 mark. Here is the signal chain:

Hi, can someone explain the data flow when HQPlayer is used with Roon server?

Suppose I have Roon server installed on the same PC A as HQPlayer which is also connected to my USB dac. My music files are also stored on a hard drive on PC A. Since this is a headless PC, I need to control Roon from another PC B.

In this situation, does the music file travel from PC A to PC B and then back to PC A to HQPlayer? Or does the music file go directly from Roon server to HQPlayer? If the data goes “directly”, how does that happen…does it actually go to the router and then back since I reference HQPlayer in Roon using PC A’s IP address?

Eventually, when the App Store has the latest release of Roon, PC B will be replaced with an iPad. Does this change the routing of the music file?

Thanks, hammer.

I can answer part of that. The audio stream only goes through a Remote if a Private Zone on the Remote is selected. So in your case the stream would not go to PC B, only control signals would pass between PC A and PC B. That won’t change with an iPad.

I don’t know how the stream goes from Roon to HQ Player, but the definition of localhost implies that packets are looped back within the computer and not sent to a router or NIC.

Thanks - that’s good news…but then I wonder why I am getting stuttering when I upsample to DSD128 with Roon, but no stuttering when playing the same file upsampled to DSD128 directly in HQPlayer. I was thinking it was a network bandwidth issue given DSD64 works without stuttering under Roon. Although having said that, the PC B running the Roon interface is connected to my network with a 10G link which is way more bandwidth than required by audio.

Any ideas? PC A should also have enough horsepower with 32GB of memory and a i7 6700k processor…I’ve ordered a CUDA card to see if it helps…

But even with DSD64, the sound quality is amazing. Talk about having your cake and eating it too with the Roon/HQPlayer combo!

Also, many thanks to everyone on this forum for sharing tips and advice. Happy Holidays!

Not having a good experience with Ronn and Hqplayer.Can’t use any polysinc filters.Can only get dsd64 with tidal.Can achieve DSD 128 with my Flac files.Hqplayer has quit several times.Have had only part of my library show up with Roon icon spinning.Had to close and reopen Roon to get library back.Can’ t get native DSD files to play.If I try native DSD will not play.The time count bar will go from start to end instantly.When this happens can’t get any other file to work after that.Again have to close Roon and restar ?

Yes same problem outlaw. If you see my earlier post, I have the exact same issue. Native DSD files when played cause my HQ player on the client to shut down. Then nothing will play except when I close both HQ player and Roon (on my core) and restart again.

Did you manage to configure HQ player to exclusive mode so that you can do DSD over PCM rather than having DSD to PCM?

BTW, when I get HQ player to upsample on redbook, it sounds terrible on my system. I suspect my DAC does a better job of upsampling than HQ player. So sending a native non upsampled file to my DAC sounds way better. But even when setting the HQ player not to upsample, it sounds better than going through Roon.

Can only get it to play with the closed form or closed form fast filter.All poly sinc filters studder.

Does work with exclusive mode with up sampling to DSD from PCM only with closed form filters.Not able to get native DSD to