HQ Player discussion thread

I finally got DSD128 to work when playing 16/44.1 files but absolutely no luck playing a 24/192 file. I’m using a MacMini (late 2012 w/ 16gb ram), major stuttering going on… and still a little stuttering on DSD64 too.

Personally I like the poly-sinc-mp-2s filter with my Unison Research CDDue DAC.

But I honestly think HQP is a non-starter for me if I constantly have to go into adjust setting or disable it if I want to play 24/192… Let alone using the library shuffle feature with HQP could be a nightmare.

Hopefully these are just bugs that will get worked out, but it’s not there yet for 100% usage in Roon, let alone spending $200 for a license… At the moment.

In HQPlayer you can set all your output to PCM 24/192, even for DSD.
In this way you will be able to employ also poly-sinc-mp (no 2s) because it would be less demanding on PC resources.

Yes, but wouldn’t I want to output 16/44.1 files to either 176.4 or 352.8 not at 192 or 384?

Also I’ve noticed slight clicks/pops that run though out a song (not all songs though, ref. Adele - Send My Love as an example where every 20 seconds a little tick sound appears) using 352.8/384 on 16/44.1 files. I’m guessing that its not liking the 8x upsampling? (4x clicks/pops are gone)

But when spending $200 I would like both DSD and PCM to work flawless, without having to do a lot of back and forth on adjusting settings.

One of the things that pushed me to not yet get HQP was the tinkering. The setting I had working best for redbook sounded crappy for 24/192 and visa versa. I got tired quickly of setting and resetting attributes for each song since I’m not the kind of listener that just plays an album. I wonder is there someway to setup default filter settings by file type? I did not see that in the settings.

If you have problems upsampling PCM 4x or 8x, your system might have some instability, which probably itìs not due to HQPlayer. The necessary resources for this simple upsampling are low.
You could upsample all to 192 or 384 kHz because HQPlayer algorithms are fine.

By setting output to PCM to 4x (or 8x) and enable DirecSDM, you would have your PCM tracks upsampled and your DSD tracks left untouched.

The price of $200 does not refer to HQPlayer, I suppose… eventually, ask me :innocent:

As I said to Mystic, by setting output to PCM to 4x (or 8x) and enable DirecSDM, you would have all your PCM tracks upsampled and your DSD tracks left untouched.

In Canadian dollars the price is $198 on the HQP website.

You are probably right with the 8x clicking as it does the same thing in the same spots in A+ on that Adele song.

The MacMini is just used as a music server with little else on it.

I’m not sure what that means? I’ve always thought you want 88.2 or 176.4 for redbook upsampling, please explain what you mean by “fine” and also if I’m incorrect in this assumption.

Hi Daniel,
You can set defaults for PCM or DSD but not for different resolutions. The Kick Start Guide will step you through it.

I bought HQP licences through Gianluca, who is an authorised HQP reseller. Quick easy transaction at a good price compared to the Signalyst site.

I completely agree with your reluctance to pay for a product that isn’t working properly for you. That’s what a trial is for. I haven’t heard the clicks or pops you’ve been experiencing. It may be worth raising it with Miska on CA and seeing if he can help.

I expect the disconnection issues between Roon and HQP will get resolved eventually, but it can make for an annoying user experience. I find that if I feed HQP a playlist or whole albums it is more stable. I’ve also been listening to the Radio quite happily.

I like the idea of being able to specify settings in HQP for particular types/resolutions of files. If implemented the playback would not be gap less moving between settings, but that seems a minor thing.

Can’t use any of the poly-sinc filters on with the beta release.Worked with 3.11.

@andybob, thanks.

Yeah this click/pop/tick whatever you want to call it confuses me.

I just bought the Unison Research CDDue dac and noticed it while using Audirvana (2x, 4x, 8x up-sampling checked) and happened also in HQP, maybe its my Kimber Kable USB? or maybe just that the UR dac doesn’t like 8x up-sampling?

What I mean is that there is no need to upsample all sincronously. Upsampling a 44.1 to 192 is not wrong - it’s all a mathematical question where proper calculations have to be in place. A question that more sophisticated filters like HQPlayer’s have solved.

I don’t think your UR DAC dislikes upsampling. After all it’s based on a sigma/delta Sabre D/A chip. You can try with a different cable or playback high res files, but something somewhere it’s not working properly. It could even be the DAC’s usb receiver… I would try to do various tests: different pc, different PC, different files…

It seems that this matter should be solved by next beta or final 3.12 release.

Thanks @bibo01. I have a MacBook I’ll try and also a different USB cable.

It’s not all redbook songs that do this at 8x but have noticed on various. The other maybe interesting thing is when using the poly-sinc (no 2s) filter for DSD a track would play for 4 seconds and music stopped, the place where it stopped is the exact same spot where the first click/tick is when playing that Adele song at 8x PCM.

Try, if you can, to increase the buffer either from within HQPlayer or Core Audio

the buffer is greyed out in HQP. Where do you increase the buffer for Core Audio?

If it allows it, it should be in System Preferences/Sound/Output

I’m on a Mac and it does not allow you to change buffer size.

I just tried setting up PCM (192) and enabled DirecSDM (with and without the 6db gain checked and same result) and PCM files play fine but when I play a DSD file all I get is little bursts of white noise and than it skips to the next track in the album.