HQ Player discussion thread

Keep your 6dB gain enabled and Vol Max always at -3dB (which is better for PCM too).
Can you please post your Setting window?
Are you playing only DSD64? Your DAC only supports DSD64.

The UR does dsd128. But I was trying to play a dsd64 album. I can change volume settings like crazy and there is never an sound level differences for anything dsd or pcm. Basically a dsd album played in Roon will not work for me when pcm is set Iā€™ll send you screen capture when back home in a couple days.

Of course you are right about your Unison Research CDDue dac.
With DirectSDM on Volume does not work for DSD.
I suggested -3dB for Vol Max to avoid digital clipping which is present in many recordings.
Yes, please letā€™s have a look at your Setting when you can.

Does DSD playback work with other players?

Yes, plays fine in Audirvana. I also tried swapping out my USB and tried another mac to see if that digital artifact/click was still present and it was.

Interestingly I happened to play around with the settings in A+ and if I turned steepness down to zero the click was gone at 8x upsamplingā€¦ so Iā€™m wondering now if the upsampling is competing with the 3 built in filters that the UR uses (personally I like the minimum phase one)?

The UR user manual actually says dsd256 but that doesnā€™t seem to be available in either A+ or HQP.

No, I donā€™t thinks so. I have quite a bit of experience with Sabreā€™s implementations and it should be ok.
Try the new official 3.12 version of HQPlayer.

HQPlayer Desktop and HQPlayer Embedded 3.12.0 released!

• Support for Roon as control interface and media source.
  • Support for offloading part of the processing to a GPU using NVIDIA CUDA.
  • Support for cross-application raw streams and extensions to the remote control API.
  • Lower overhead Pipeline SDM implementation.
  • Fix ASDM7 initialization bug.
  • Various smaller fixes and optimizations.

Users who had some problems with beta please report :christmas_tree:

Still canā€™t play native DSD files in Roon Hqplayer.Play native files fine in just Hqplayer.Have issues were all my library doesnā€™t load and Roon icon on screen.Have to close and reopen Roon to fix issue.Also downloaded latest 3.12 Hqplayer download.Why in audio settings in network area Stiil says beta ??

Re. Roon+HQPlayer, I have a sneaky feeling that, by Roon remaining in f.g., less resources are allocated to HQPlayer. Although in reality a native DSD playback should not be so resource hungry. Do you use a remote? Do you use Roon Server or Desktop? Could you try Server version?
Loading the library partially, it must be a Roon issue. Perhaps you can ask Support.
I suppose that in Settings/Audio/network it still says beta as a Roon issue. Itā€™s not reporting HQPlayer as a beta version.

@bibo01

Gianluca, do you have a link to download the new 3.12.0? When I go to the Signalyst website, it appears that the only download available is 3.11

Thanks,
Rob

Hereā€™s a link, 3.12 is available on the Signalyst web page.

I donā€™t see the link to 3.12 on that page, which I had already checked. Maybe Iā€™m missing it.

Down toward the bottom of the page, there are links, but it suggests that the link is for 3.11, and if I try to download it, the filename suggests itā€™s 3.11. I havenā€™t tried to install it, but by all appearances, it looks like 3.11

Now the CPU extra load problem has been solved and finally HQplayer works flawlessly on my Mac mini 2011together with ROON!!

I can report that the release version of HQP 3.12, now downloadable from Signalyst, fixes the stuttering issues I was experiencing on my mid-2011 i5 Mac mini. Iā€™m now able to do on-the-fly PCM -> DSD conversion and use the poly-sinc filters. Sounding pretty darn good.

Just refresh your browser

I can confirm the page allows a download of 3.12 for Mac OS X.

Running Roon and HQPlayer on Mac.

I can play native DSD on Roon.
I can play native DSD through HQPlayer.
Canā€™t play native DSD on Roon through HQPlayer.

Any on else having this issue? Any ideas?

I would like Roon to have the option of converting DSD to PCM before sending the signal to HQPlayer. Sounds like an unusual request as I can always ditch the HQPlayer since I donā€™t own a DSD DAC but do have quite some DSD files. But HQPlayer does a lot of magic for the PCM files as well which sounds wonderful to me. So, I am reluctant to give up HQPlayer in the chain but hopes that Roon will convert DSD to PCM since now sending DSD signal to HQPlayer for conversion is not possible, and even if it does, the CPU resources need for the conversion to be done in HQPlayer is exceptionally high and I often get shutterings.

1 Like

I have exactly the same issue.

Sorry I was not clear about problem. I have same issue as Outlaw. DSD on Roon through Hqplayer does not work.