HQ Player discussion thread

Technically, this kind of conversion would be HQP’s job, but since Roon is remarkably efficient converting DSD > PCM and HQP is rather resource hungry, I guess a Roon switch for sending out PCM only would be a nice touch.

I have a strange problem un related to playback issues. I am doing a trial of HQP beta 3.12 (Mac) after downloading and unzipping I dragged the DMG file into my applications folder, of course with the 30 minute timer I have opened this file many times; it has not mounted it still shows as a DMG file in my applications folder. Whats up with that, operator error or because it is just a trial it will not mount? I tried downloading, several times, yesterday the official 3.12 version but it would not download it started but hung and never finished. I assume it is because I am a trial and had another version on my Mac.

That might be better asked on the HQP forums.

Edit: This is reply to Outlaw about streaming DSD to HQP for PCM playback.

No, this seems like “common” problem. I have tried everything I can think of but nothing has helped. But even the PCM is too unstable for use as Roon disconnects after a while and then you need to restart everything.

Only additional information I have found is that it seems that a DSD stream of the right type gets to HQ-Player as HQ-Player sees the correct DSD type e.g. DSD64/DSD128 but that the stream seems “corrupt” as HQ-Player “clips” e.g. the Limited counter increases until Roon / HQP disconnects.

Jussi recommends adjusting the software volume control down at least 2dB when over sampling in order to avoid clipping.

Hi Anybob,

Thanks, that is a good suggestion, but I have already tested that and the volume setting makes not difference. I use -3 dB in HQ-Player giving a 9 dB marging with DSD and playing files in HQ-Player I get 0 Limited (at least when I have been monitoring this). Playing exactly the same file from Roon gives 13 Limted in 8 Sec at -3dB and also at -12dB volume setting before Roon disconnects (0 for the whole track in HQ-Player).

Let’s leave a notification for @brian and @mike and see if they can think of any reason why that’s occurring.

Edit: Can people having this problem please check DSD playback strategy and Max DSD Sample Rate in their audio settings in Roon for the output device that HQP is using. I don’t understand why but changing those settings has helped one user who had this problem.

Thanks for the suggestion, I don’t notice any difference chaning the DSD settings for the same device in Roon. Which is how it is supposed to be?

Thanks for the suggestion, I don’t notice any difference chaning the DSD settings for the same device in Roon. Which is how it is supposed to be?

It would be best to avoid enabling the same audio device in Roon + in HQPlayer. This essentially amounts to configuring two pieces of software to use exclusive mode at the same time, which is a big no-no in PC audio.

Changing settings in Roon could impact an HQPlayer audio problem if Roon was holding the audio device, since Roon “resets” its relationship with the device when settings are changed. If HQPlayer was having trouble gaining exclusive access, it could cause a lot of problems.

Only additional information I have found is that it seems that a DSD stream of the right type gets to HQ-Player as HQ-Player sees the correct DSD type e.g. DSD64/DSD128 but that the stream seems “corrupt” as HQ-Player “clips” e.g. the Limited counter increases until Roon / HQP disconnects.

Roon does not modify the raw DSD data in the file before passing it to HQPlayer. I’m not sure what’s going on here, but based on my understanding of how the system works, my best guess is that it isn’t on the Roon side, since we are not processing the audio in any way.

Thanks Brian,

Disabling the same output devices does not solve the problem either, but I think this would be good to include in the HQ Player howto if this can cause problems.

I would guess that neither HQ-Player nor Roon is changing the DSD data, rather I would guess that the problem is related to that packets are delayed, reordered or corrupted on the way from Roon to HQ-Player? Maybe this is a Windows 10 specific problem?

Edit: I have already tested different buffering times in HQP upto 250 ms.

Disabling the same output devices does not solve the problem either, but I think this would be good to include in the HQ Player howto if this can cause problems.

I’ve updated the howto/faq.

delayed, reordered or corrupted

The data is transmitted via TCP, so corruption or reordering are impossible without an operating system bug.

HQPlayer controls the flow of data from Roon, but since Roon is doing no actual work on the data, it seems unlikely that Roon would do something that would take long enough to lead to data not getting there in time. If data were not getting there in time, the symptom would be dropouts, not behavior like you’re describing.

I would really like to help, but it’s feeling a lot like an HQPlayer issue. I really think you should bring this up with HQPlayer’s support and see what they have to say.

I’m eagerly waiting to control
my roon server/hqplater combo from my ipad. Is there a workaround?

You will need a Mac/PC/Android to configure Roon+HQPlayer, but this is a one-time thing when you’re setting it up.

You should be able to control Roon+HQPlayer using the previous version of the iPad app.

Running Windows 10 Pro 64, the intermittent disconnect from the HQPlayer was solved with Process Lasso. I have been converting PCM to DSD 256, poly-sinc-short-mp, DSD7 and playing DSF files natively.

Works like a charm running to my RPI\Digi+, thanks!

Now, I have both a local dac connected to the NUC I use to run Roon server on, as well as a remote pi.

Is there a way to setup both with HQ Player, accessible as seperate devices from Roon?

Don’t think so, but wanted to make sure I did not overlook something simple.

Still learning the HQ software package an have a couple of observations/questions. For context I am using an Mac mini and the Ayre DSD DAC.

On the preference tab I have selected DoP for the SDM pack, and for the SDM defaults have selected poly-sinc-short-mp and ASDM7.

If I do not select a PCM filter the HQ player outputs SDM (DSD), 176.4kHz the Ayre display reflects 44.

If I do select a PCM filter the HQ player output reflects SDM (DSD), DSD64 and the Aye display reflects 64.

The source is Tidal AIFF 44.1kHz 16 bit 2 ch. Not sure why I need to make a PCM selection to get to the DSD output but that appears to be the case.

Any input is appreciated.

Remember to check over at Computer Audiophile in the HQ threads for Jussi (Miska). DSD to PCM issues:

[quote=Jussi replied]This is one of the things that doesn’t work yet with Roon on 3.12 and is scheduled to be fixed in 3.13.

The cross-application stream used with Roon is a new type of transport that can change between PCM and DSD. HQPlayer cannot fully cope with such changes yet. Other transports are based on file formats and thus were not changing between PCM and DSD.[/quote]

1 Like

It is because “none” as filter is a special case meaning “output follows the source”. I probably need to document this case more clearly in the manual…

Hi rovinggecko,

After telling Roon to stream to HQP, all outputs from HQP are managed within HQP.

There has been discussion about fuller integration, perhaps treating HQP as a loop and returning output to Roon. That would enable the processed stream from HQP to be streamed to RAAT network zones. At the moment, however, I understand this is just a possibility for future discussion between Roon and HQP.

Thanks Andrew, you confirm my understanding. The loop concept sounds very interesting though. Would have my vote for ‘cool feature’ for sure. I guess the challenge is that you’d need to be able to have different parameters for each end point. Rgds Bas

Still issues. When playing through my library all works well. Song will play and another will continue in radio.

If I play a song through album in my Tidal library the song will play then nothing happens. It looses connection and HQPlayer will quit. Same with playing native DSD plays song and then losses connection.