HQ Player not detecting streamer/DAC

That’s the source, but “allo-digione” has a device tree source file (.dts) somewhere… But I have not seen such yet in official kernels.

So far my RasPi images have been using 4.9 LTS kernel.

1 Like

Has the networkaudiod service been configured to get started only once the network and USB device initialization is fully complete? Otherwise you will likely get this kind of random behavior.

under linux/arch/arm/boot/dts/overlays/allo-digione-overlay.dts available.

source path:

4.9.y link

2 Likes

I am not 100% sure what you mean @jussi_laako . I have tried various boot sequences, generally with DAC or streamer first, then Win 10 PC and finally Roon and HQ Player. I have gone as far as turning off the power completely to the whole house (as with power outages), as well as to different parts of the house and bringing things online in different orders. I have tried soft and hard reboots to individual devices and software.

I was also checking last night regarding DHCP vs Static IPs, which you mentioned. I can change this in the Allo web interface, however I can’t assign static IPs with my BT Smart Hub 2 router, it is DHCP only. I don’t have alot of experience networking, so I may have misunderstood your meaning. Is there something I am missing?

There a few things I don’t understand;

• My DAC has indicator lights saying what signal it is receiving and it continues to show it is receiving a DSD signal, and only HQ Player sends (Roon end point is disabled) that and yet supposedly it can’t see the endpoint, so I am not sure what is happening here.

• Secondly, on originally installing (only last month) HQ Player I was able to select either the USBridge or the Digione in the settings, and yet now this is not possible, the only thing that has changed, that I am aware of, is a Dietpi update. However I did try rolling back to the previous version of Dietpi last night on the USBridge and it made no difference… Is it worth considering re-installing HQ Player??

• As far as I am aware everything is set-up probably, NAA Daemon is active on the USBridge and inactive on the Digione (i have tried the other way around), I have started all software and hardware in every possible combination I can think of, so I am kind of stuck now…

• Finally, why can Roon still play to the same endpoint (when enabled in Roon) and yet HQ Player cannot? This is probably my lack of knowledge but it seems at odd to me as a relative ‘layman’.

Anyway, any help, as ever, is much appreciated.

I mean the OS configuration to start networkaudiod service during system bootup. Typically systemd service file. It needs to be correct for the particular Linux distro.

Thanks! I’ll check for the next build if it is available and enabled.

1 Like

Are we talking about the USBridge here @jussi_laako ? I have not made any alterations to anything, I wouldn’t know how. Is there anything I can check? I don’t understand why it would work previously, albeit sporadically, and not work now.

Incidentally, I did try wirelessly and also plugged the NUC into a different switch and even the router, to the same effect.

One thing you could try in the meanwhile @tahsu , only for temporary testing purposes, is load Jussi’s NAA image onto SD card for your RPi, and use that Pi’s USB output, replacing the USBridge in your setup.

With Jussi’s NAA image, he’s in complete control of the OS.

If it’s ok, it may tell you that DietPi is the issue.

You might need to limit your sample rate to the RPi to 192kHz because it’s USB output is a bit funky above 192 kHz (shared power with ethernet).

I know the upcoming USBridge Signature will feature a Raspberry board (CM3) in there, so Jussi’s NAA image should work with USB output. So you’ll be able to use his NAA image and by-pass DietPi. And the CM3 board has no sample rate limitations with USB, so will enable PCM768k/DSD512.

Thanks @dabassgoesboomboom - I only have a RPi as part of my Digione and I think Allo have provided the required files for Jussi. I am not sure of how easy it is for Jussi to tweak as a result. I could break down the Digione.

Yep, so you’ll need to wait for Jussi to update his NAA image for the DigiOne board to work… That’s what the above discussion was for, the DigiOne board.

But it will work right now, for RPi3’s USB output straight into USB DAC… As mentioned above, replacing your USBridge (for testing purposes). Did you have another RPi3 around or just the one? As mentioned about, best to limit HQP to PCM192kHz to the RPi3 NAA.

Again, the purpose would be to see if DietPi is the problem. Jussi’s images are the best way to experience HQPlayer anyway - he has full control of the OS.

Okay, I will try again and report back. Thanks.

1 Like

Hope it goes smoothly. I always like having a couple spare RPi’s around for this kind of troubleshooting.

I’ll probably replace all my RP3i’s (including the spares) with the new RPi4. Jussi will be updating his NAA image in future for RPi4 compatibility, so I’ll wait till then.

Thanks! This issue aside, I have been waiting on getting a RPi 4 for similar reasons.

1 Like

Just burning the image - how do I configure it?

Just put the SD card in the RPi3.

Then follow the same power-on order Andy shared earlier: DAC then RPi3 then HQP

Hopefully HQP sees your NAA/USB DAC

Thats what I thought you were going to say, I had already tried that. Hmm. The digione hat is still on the Rpi, I wonder if it does make a difference…

Right now I am plugging the digione into my office DAC, an Arcam irDACII’s USB.

I will try again.

Edit - the router can see the NAA device, which is good, just rebooting the NUC.

1 Like

Its still not working, I am going to take the hat off I think.

1 Like

Bugger. It’s a worthwhile exercise (if you have the patience to get it working) because this is Jussi’s OS, so it eliminates the variables DietP adds.

So, its still not working. I have been very specific. DAC on, RPI on, then PC on and finally Roon and HQ Player. I can see NAA going off and on in the router settings, so that appears to be working (I have checked the version I have downloaded - naa-355). I have tried different USB slots on the RPI, a different cable. I have cleared HQ Player settings on multiple attempts.

Could it be something on the NUC?? Stumped.

As mentioned, this is Jussi’s OS, so it eliminates the variables DietP adds. So maybe this new info can help @jussi_laako to spot something.

What model router? And what networking gear (make and model) is in between router and the RPi3 NAA?

It’s all hard-wired ethernet?