HQ player-what a colossal Pain!

did all that

when calling up a track in Roon the track loads but nothing happens when i click play

HQPlayer needs to be left running so Roon can talk to it. Make sure the correct IP address of the HQPlayer machine has been entered into Roon.

If HQPlayer is on a different machine, the firewall might be blocking network communication. So it will have to be configured or disabled.

whats your HQ player output? Take a screen shot of your HQ player settings

The OP here is not being very helpful. It still is not clear where HQP is running or if there is a NAA endpoint prior to the DAC. This makes it very difficult to be of any help.

Hi Thomas,
What computer are you using to run HQ Player ?
Do you have any outputs directly connected to that computer ?
Do you want to connect the HQ Player output to your B&O A9 active speakers ?

The A9 is currently a network connection. HQ Player needs a lightweight network adapter called an NAA to send output over a network connection. As Roon Bridge is to Roon, so an NAA is to HQ Player.

There are a number of devices that can act as an HQ Player NAA. Including Raspberry Pi’s running DietPi, or a Sonore microRendu or ultraRendu.

When HQ Player detects an NAA on the network then it will appear as an output option in the Settings screen.

If the A9 supports a direct digital input you could directly connect the computer running HQ Player to the A9. That should result in HQ Player showing the A9 as an available output option.

My most sincerest apologies, given a hectic life that is full of demands, that i have not prioritized this issue to the degree it is owed.
Given the accepted ease and clarity re: the setup up of this software I worry that i suffer from less than average intelligence.
I am confessing great shame that I realize that this straight forward setup is only a challenge to me.

I hold the crown here :grin:

The only problem is there is still much we don’t know about your overally system and settings, which is why way up I asked if you could detail everything, i.e. how everything is hooked up, HQP version and lots and lots of screenshots of your HQP and Roon settings. This allows us to see what you’re seeing.

The more info you can share, the more everyone has to work with to try and spot the issue.

Everyone wants to help you get through this.

Thomas,

No need for apologies. I looked at your system again and I think that using HQP might not produce a significant change in the sound you get. Let me explain. HQP is used mostly by people who wish to up- sample PCM sources to DSD and then feed them to a DSD capable DAC via a USB input. This requires a computer with significant power and is usually done on a dedicated machine separate from the Roon core.

As I mentioned earlier, HQP can produce magnificent results or be a total mess if not configured correctly. HQP also can up-sample and re-filter PCM but that you can do right now with Roon. If you wish to proceed, you may need to buy more hardware, cables, … and maybe another machine to run HQP (but only if you want to do stuff that requires a lot of power which PCM does NOT require).

I am not trying to discourage you but rather make you aware that HQP is not a novice level endeavor. You will need to do some reading, buy the needed stuff, ask a lot of questions and provide a lot of detailed information if we are going to be able to help you get this right.

There are many here who stand ready to help but you will have to do your part as well.

As an example, I have Roon core on a sonicTransporter, HQPlayer on a very high spec Win 10 machine and the HQP NAA device is a ultraRendu. This of course does not count all the ancillary stuff needed to make it work but it gets the idea across.

Let us know what you decide and if we can we will help.

Bob

1 Like

Preciate your response
I admittedly have not been able to give this issue the time it needs

1 Like

Bob
Thx much
Im interested in better soundquality but not something that is complicated and needs alot of tinkering so i think ill just chill and be satisfied…probably

There was some discussion about whether HQ Player is for everyone here. I don’t think it is and the benefits it brings depend a lot upon the gear you are using.

If you are looking for real bang for buck SQ improvements, I think room treatment is significantly under rated by many people. That is probably because it doesn’t require expensive gear.

In my opinion if you can absorb the first echo and straighten out the room’s bass response you will find soundstage and SQ improvements in excess of those realised by HQP.

5 Likes

Nicely put
Thank you

Any online resources that go into what you describe…resources for education?

Spot on, @andybob!!!

This might be a possible starting point…

I’m not connected with this company or their products in any way. I posted the link because the articles there provide some useful (basic) information…

2 Likes

This sounds a bit scary! :smiley:

I would like to emphasize that the first upsampling step is the most critical, especially when you are playing 44.1/16 content. This is the baseline why HQPlayer even exists. If you can both upsample further (to x128, x256 or x512) and replace DAC’s modulator with HQPlayer’s one by feeding it DSD, the better. If not, you can still stick to upsampling PCM. And that doesn’t need so much CPU power either. Sure, many software and hardware can do PCM and DSD upsampling and other things, some better some worse.

So no need to rush to shop to buy more gear. One can and should first try HQPlayer in the existing system and see what it can do. The system can be extended later.

I’m not sure how the B&O A9 internally works and which generation is in question here. Many active speakers that run DSP cross-overs and such, will convert everything internally to 96 kHz sampling rate. These benefit from high quality pre-conversion to their native 96 kHz rate (same goes for AV processors and such that do the same, 96k or 192k rate). If the A9 in question is 3rd gen with digital input and can accept hires, then HQPlayer could be useful for these reasons. If one wants to use it through Chromecast or AirPlay, then HQPlayer is not very useful option, other than for down-conversion of hires content.

1 Like

Hi Jussi,

Sorry if my post made HQP sound scary. That certainly was not my intent. I am a long time user of HQP and love the results I get. I was just trying to convey that setting it up properly would likely require a NAA device of some kind prior to the DAC section. There was never any mention of one in the OP’s posts. HQP also has a learning curve and does require some time and effort reading the manual and consulting the various forums that you are on to get the best results. You have said in the past that you are working on making it easier for people to work with in the future and that will be welcome for sure but there is no denying that the underlying knowledge must be there first.

Thanks for all your development effort and I look forward to future releases of HQP.

Bob

Hi !

Why didn’t you install Roon core and Hqplayer on the same Win10 computer?

There is no reason why they cannot be on the same machine. I tried it that way and it worked fine but I had my sonicTransporter so I keep Roon there. There is the possibility to have both on a sonicTransporter but if you want to do DSD it needs to be one of the more powerful ones.

For sure the DSD has to be on the powerful computer.
Just figuring why not putting both on that computer…