HQP NAA - BeagleBone Black

it reads like an adventure out of the books of my childhood…

A “Ripping Yarn” ? Hopefully more in the spirit of “Across the Andes by Frog” than “Curse of the Claw” !

I’ll be checking out a CuBox over the weekend. It looks cute as a button …

Sigh. I managed to make a BeagleBone an endpoint using the project Chris at ComputerAudiophile posted a few months ago. But what is needed to make at an NAA for HQP is beyond me. More power to you guys. If you get it to a bit of a turnkey solution, I’ll be eager to try it out.

The broad steps are:

• Download a Debian image to a micro-SD and boot from it;

• Write zeros over the internal eMMC to force the BBB to boot from a micro-SD without using the Boot button;

• Download the NAA BBB image to a micro-SD and boot from it.

You can stop here and have a fully functional BBB NAA that boots from a micro-SD card. Or, if you prefer you can:

• Boot from the Debian micro-SD;
  • Update Debian and install unzip;

• Download the BBB NAA image, unzip it and write it to the eMMC.

Those additional steps will get you to a BBB NAA that boots from the internal eMMC.

I’ve set out details for each step in the above posts. The freeware Windows software tools I used are Win32DiskImager and PuTTY.

That’s as turnkey as the BBB NAA is going to get unless someone starts selling a pre-burnt unit.

The CuBox-i NAA is a simpler process, just download and boot the NAA image. That can be done without using a Linux terminal at all.

The Sonore SonicOrbiter SE has a pre-built NAA and is RoonReady in a CuBox-i box. It doesn’t require any downloading or writing to micro-SD cards.

Thanks. That summary makes it seem more straightforward. I’ll be doing this from a Mac, not a PC, but I can probably find the appropriate tools.

On a Mac, just use the Terminal app instead of Putty and ApplePiBaker (seriously ;-)) for writing images to SD card.