HQP v. Roon DSP

I can play straight from HQP.

So, I can disable Roon dsp and still play HQP through Roon integration? I don’t think my question was clear. Sure hope so.

What is the point of the Roon dsp option when HQP is enabled? Seems redundant.

Thanks for the help. Still struggling to figure this all out.

Yes.

Some people do some DSP in Roon and some DSP in HQP (see, e.g., this post from @jhwalker).

1 Like

I do room correction in Roon DSP, and crossover in HQP. Both is FIR filters generated in Acourate.

It is easier to have total control of the crossover that way. At least from my point of view.

@John_Culver Hi! I think there are no problems at all using Roon just for managing your music and let HQP do the magic, I just use the headphone algorithm but, honestly, I want to try not using it, in order to see the difference :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you @orgel!

Pardon my ignorance here, but I seem to recall reading Roon opened up the platform for 3rd party plug-in DSP options. If this is so, any future where HPQ is sold in a Roon plug-in version? It would make things much easier.

1 Like

From what’s been said by HQP, no.

Too bad, if HQP was easier to use, and better integrated with Roon, I am sure it would sell even better.

2 Likes

I’m using Roon with HQPlayer through a microRendu to a PSAudio DirectStream DAC. After hours of figuring out how to get it working and what settings to use I am very pleased with the results.

I never looked at Roon DSP until I read through this thread. When I did look at the Roon DSP settings I found that overall DSP was on but each part of it was disabled. I was listening at that moment and disabled DSP entirely. There was a brief pause and then a clear improvement in SQ.

Just my finding but worth checking out.

Gary, I agree with your findings completely! MacMini > Roon > HQP > SOTM 200 > PSAudio DSJr. Roon DSP disabled sounds better buy far.

Anything els?

Thinking of buying HQPLAYER but just can’t seem to hear that much of a difference and can’t justify paying for something that if there were a difference it’s to small to pay for? True?

Well, just try before you buy, HQPLayer evaluation is free - program exits after 30min and is fully functional.

1 Like

Those of you that has the SonicTransporter, should purchase HQPlayer from SmallGreenComputer.

The price is a bit (quite) more reasonable.

The license is HW attached, so it’s looked to your SonicTransporter 4ever. But of cause within reason, like a HD crash will SMG help you recover the license. ( So you won’t need to purchase again).
This service should not be expected if one purchase from the official site.