HQP with Mytek Manhattan Network card

Is it possible to use HQP with the Manhattan network input? I much prefer it over USB. Audirvana and mConnect sees the network card but I am not having any luck with HQP on a Mac desktop. Thank you

I don’t think that the card supports the necessary HQP NAA endpoint software. You could check with Mytek and see and if it does not you could request it as a feature from them. HQP needs it own special software at the endpoint. Devices like the uRendu from Sonore have this but they output USB. Right now there are very few OEM DACs that will accept HQP over Ethernet. Most still require an outboard USB device.

Thank you for your response. I just emailed Mytek and asked for this to be added. I am running the NAA on a MacBook Pro connected to the dac right now without issue but I do like the network input the best. I will keep my fingers crossed!

Please post their reply. Direct in via RJ-45 Ethernet or SFP+ Optical Ethernet is going to be the way of the future. I doubt that the network card they use has enough processing power to handle the HQP NAA but at least you can go direct in to the Roon RAAT. Have you tried to compare the differences between the two using your current setup.

It’s not possible. Mytek use a ConverseDigital mConnect module, like PS Audio, Ayre and others.

http://www.conversdigital.com/kor/product/product01.php

None of these support NAA at the moment…

Even so, it’s limited to PCM192kHz / DoP64.

No I have not. I am definitely curious about the opticalRendu and what the reports will be. I think you are right on the network card in the Manhattan but I will post their response. The network card input sounds so good and I have imagined what it would sound like paired with HQP

@bobflood I received a reply from Mytek:

“I’ve spoken with our R&D team about it. They claim that there is no HQPlayer implemented to our network modules and Convesdigital is unlikely to want to add this functionality in the future.” I am curious why they would not want to add it? I will confess I have no idea what is involved with that but it would really be nice

It is quite easy to add to anything that runs Linux. And many of these modules run Linux. Given other software modules they have I would suspect this runs Linux too…

But only manufacturers demanding for the feature would make ConversDigital think about it. And manufacturers don’t do it if they don’t feel that there’s customer demand.

Thanks for posting the reply. This is about what I expected. Those of us who use HQP are still a silent minority from the OEM side of things.

Jussi, Thanks for your reply as well.

The goal of having a DAC with direct in Ethernet that supports HQP via RJ45 or SFP is still a long way off. I saw that T+A just came out with one but is an ultra expensive flagship model.

The problem is that in order to accomplish it they would have to incorporate some kind of computer into the DAC with all the problems that entails. The Converse card is such a thing but its capabilities are limited and it appears to be the only pre-packaged solution for DAC OEMs right now.

Hopefully this will change over time.

Maybe @Mytek_Official will see this thread. This would be an outstanding feature to add

I think there are at least two, the other one is StreamUnlimited. All these are essentially small computers. The bigger StreamUnlimited uses NXP i.MX7, while I used earlier i.MX6 (CuBox-i, microRendu), and now i.MX8M. But there are many other hardware options as well.

I din’t find quickly info on what SoC the ConversDigital one uses.

I’m pretty sure there are some companies in Japan doing similar things too. And many of the devices especially with disc players (Oppo etc) use Mediatek.

Thanks Jussi, I didn’t realize there were other choices for the OEMs. Hopefully this market will expand and the choices will improve. What did T+A use in their new product?

Hello Gentlemen!

We’ve contacted Convers Digital about HQPlayer support. They answer was: We will review the HQ Player.
Literally that’s all. So for now there is no specific answer but I hope their “review” will be positive:)
I will keep you guys posted here if anything new about this topic come out.

1 Like

@Wojtek_Glowienka Thank you so much for even looking into it. This would be icing on the cake in my opinion. I will keep my fingers crossed that it works out :wink:

If I understand the issue correctly, a DAC with a direct ethernet connection will not automatically handle an HQ Player stream without the DAC’s network card being specifically enabled to handle such a stream? I’m considering buying a Sonictransporter with Roon DSP and HQP to upsample everything to DSD (either 512, 256, and 128, depending on the DAC). Is it prudent to ask each DAC manufacturer if its network card can handle HQ Player?

Yes. Ask if it can function as a NAA endpoint. The same as you would ask each manufacturer if it could be a Roon Endpoint.

Before you spend money, you should clearly define your target upsampling goals. The best DSD 512 filters take an enormous amount of horsepower and require additonal processing from a discrete Nvidia Cuda Graphics Card.

There are threads on here discussing just such processing needs. I would review these threads:

Thank you for the response. I understood that DSD 512 requires more processor power than “lesser” sampling rates. I was unaware until this thread that a DAC requires either a built-in HQP-compatible NAA or an external HQP-compatible NAA to handle HQP-processed signals directly through Ethernet input. I have reached out to Cary and Cocktail Audio (DACs that I am considering) to get their thoughts with regards to their products, but I don’t expect either to tell me that their DACs are HQP-compatible through ethernet input.

Not many DACs have an NAA built in. Most people use a network streamer that has NAA/Roon capability. I use a microRendu.

It looking most likely that I won’t get HQP. I am only considering DACs with direct ethernet inputs because I don’t want USB anywhere in my system. I have gone down that road before with a Mac Mini-based setup. No thank you.

The new t+a 1024 dac has naa, expensive though