HQPlayer Desktop thread

Could be a ‘copy and paste’ job from one of their other products, without someone actually testing or looking at the CL datasheet.

Thanks, your workaround works and I can now use HQPlayer Client.

For what it’s worth, it’s not a bug in Ubuntu, but a bug in Qt6 for assuming that Ubuntu has that symlink when it does not.

Captain Obvious here,

If I have a shiny new i9 12900k arriving soon, mainly to use for HQP desktop. Do I still need my RPi to connect HQPlayer to my Aries2?

I’m using the image on an sd card in the RPi atm (embedded). Do I carry on with this, or use a different image?

Is the RPi a good enough connection for the Denafrips? I’m currently using up to 768 pcm, but not without a few flaws (Roon lost control of audio device), is there a better solution than RPi?

Finally, if I also want to use a DSP software for “room correction” purposes, where in the chain would this be, on the NUC (with Roon) or new pc?

Any advice appreciated.

Seems like some network or driver problem, first it tries to come up with 1 Gbps link, but eventually fails and falls back to 100 Mbps. In addition flow control is off, while it should be on.

You can use a NAA, but it is never a necessity.

In HQPlayer…

Problem is that Ubuntu symlinks things like /usr/bin → /bin and /usr/lib → /lib, but not /usr/share → /share. And then Qt sees that the binary has been launched from /bin/asdasd and libraries loaded from /lib and then assumes share is then at /share. So the issue is created by having different base paths for share and rest of the things.

I swapped the 2 8gb ram chips with 2 16gb chips.

sincLI ASDM7EC v2 v2 44.1 → 512fs with i9 9900k (all core overclock to 4.9) and a gtx titan X now works.

some other’s I need to use -2 filters but they work, and the xla is a no go with 7EC v2

2 Likes

@Stef_Dahl, in searching of what else can be done about 3MHz rates in iFi Go Bar + HQP Desktop I’ve just seen in other thread you are using iFi Zen.

Can I double check with you - are you able to play DSDx48 rates with iFi Zen and HPQ? If so, what are your HQP settings? Or any special drivers for iFi Zen may be?

Thanks in advance and have a gread Sunday!

i.

The iFi Zen is “transparent”. It’s limits are linked to the generic linux usb-audio driver which is a function of its kernel.
This one limits the use to DSD256x48 and 384 PCM.
If your dac supports more, the Zen will act as a limiter…
With an RPI4 with a recent kernel instead of the Zen, I can go up to DSD 512 (even 1024) with my Pegasus.
If the iFi Go Bar natively supports DSD256x48 under linux, the Zen will work but if you have already tested a linux version (HQP embedded or Ubuntu) without success, it will be the same.

2 Likes

@Stef_Dahl thanks a lot for info! About Zen I really wanted to check if iFi knows about DSDx48 rates and there’s something that works as such. You just confirmed - there is! As @dabassgoesboomboom predicted on my questions to iFi support - they have started from trying to convince me bluntly that DSDx48 does not exist :slight_smile: not that it is plainly announced in their tech specs…

1 Like

:man_facepalming:

Nothing has changed in years.

You need to get the HQPlayer dude on the phone !

There is someone there since Zen Stream supports HQPlayer NAA.

Unless their contracted HQPlayer dude is just Jussi :grin:

3 Likes

Haha, not! :smiley:

You would recognize if I had my hands on the thing!

But Zen was properly done and coordinated from my perspective.

2 Likes

Agreed!

But Igor’s Blu issue has me curious how it would go with kernel 5.15

You already tried Ubuntu Jammy Embedded + JL custom kernel 5.15 @IgorSki ?

And more curious what is inside. Maybe this is the direction they want to go in future

Hehe I thought it would be funny if I called iFi UK and then they transfer me to their one HQPlayer dude and i hear “Hello, Jussi speaking”

:grin:

But jokes aside they really should at least ask (and pay) for your inputs during development!

It would actually improve the quality of their products and reduce the support tickets

Surely they know your recommendations the past multi years has lead to so many sales ! Going back to micro iDSD

I agree. Note (however) that the kernel is a bit old and the networkaudiod version is from the same Debian Jessie era ( 3.40 >> 4.20 currently), although this does not seem to have any consequences.
Jussy is the only one to be able to indicate what the networkaudiod (NAA) evolutions include. hardware adaptations ?

Main new feature in 4.x was input support. But there are various other small improvements across the line too.

1 Like

Ah yes, the feature that changed my daily listening ! :grinning:

A game changer !

1 Like

I will second that! JCR

1 Like

These look like COULD BE decent improvements for HQPlayer !

That’s how I feel about everything apple now… it’s just decent. And overall that’s even giving too much praise. All the time I’ve been around apple products, and i’m going back MacOS 6, the one I like best to this day only had one thing apple in it, and that was the operating system. :wink: