HQPlayer Desktop thread

It’s normal. sinc-Ll taps number is proportion to conversion ratio. Taps (memory requirement) for 44.1 → 512fs is greater than 192 → 512fs. And your system memory also swapped when doing 44.1 → 512fs.

The problem might be this:

I guess that means I have to wait for the fix.

This is because of a bug in Ubuntu 22.04. It is missing symlink from /usr/share → /share while it has other symlinks. You can just do “sudo ln -s /usr/share /share” and it will work fine.

Windows 10 HQP Desktop blues continues. While I was focused on getting ECv2@256 - it turned out that driving iFi Go Bar is way more challenging. The iFi marketing tells us It suports x48 DSD rates up to @256, that is 11,3/12,3MHz

Dancing around the fire with HQP Desktop on Windows 10 I could only get 44.1x256 DSD

If I check “48k DSD” box in Output device and check “Adaptive output rate” and BitRate 48x256. HQP is trying to switch to 12.3MHz, ASIO driver also locks on that frequency, but there’s play back is with no sound! Basicaly, it seems all x48 family is having this glitch.

Any experience or advice with iFi devices/drivers may be ?

These are settings that work, any chance to get playing x48 DSD, you think?

Perhaps more a limitation of the machine to produce DSD256x48 with an EC filter.
No problem with DSD128x48 ? And in DSD256x48 but with a lighter filter (ASDM7 without EC) ?

2 Likes

Yep this is the test to do, try DSD256x48k or DSD128x48k with non-EC

1 Like

Good eyes! :mag_right: I overlooked that! :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I’ll do a ram swap from another machine and see if it helps.

Oh, we’re traveling to the beach :beach_umbrella: well that changes everything :thinking: …just bring one of these. Lol

1 Like

Thanks for suggestion @Stef_Dahl & @dabassgoesboomboom !

No luck. I’ve tried with DSD128x48 and non-EC like ASDM7 or ASDM5. No sound on x48 playback. Althought it thinks it is playing smth, as progress bar runs.

Mmm seems like an iFi firmware/driver issue then.

Do you have an RPi4 running Jussi’s NAA OS to test? This way you bypass ASIO driver.

Just to test and rule out or confirm ASIO problem

Same thing without HQP ? Ex. For example by playing live from Roon (upscaling with the Roon DSP).

Thanks @Stef_Dahl, but really lame question on my part - can ROON do upscale to DSDx48 rates?? I thought they’ve hard coded only x44,1 ?

Thanks @dabassgoesboomboom , Such test results are even more surpising. Here’s what I got:

Test 1: HQPlayer Embedded at Ubuntu 22.04 (my main source) - can do all PCM’s can do all DSDx44,1 . ROON sees the device as “native DSD” and ROON plays all, except I don’t know how (if possible) set ROON to x48 DSD. Can not do DSDx48 with any modulator. Playback is silent, but shows progress in progress bar.

Test 2: HQPlayer OS. Unexpected !!! Plays all PCM. But fails ALL DSD. The main HQP (html) window shows how HQP locks on the correct DSD rates depending on the source, but the “play back” it is dead silent.

Verdict so far:

Including latest ASIO driver and firmware update for iFi Go Bar I have managed the following:

• Win 10. Latest HQP Desktop. All sources to all announced PCM. All sources to only 44,1xDSD
  • Ubuntu Server 22.04. Latest HQP Embedded. All sources to all announced PCM. All sources to only 44,1xDSD
  • HQPlayer OS. All sources to all announced PCM. No DSD.

The last point is a bit weird. I’m opening a ticked with iFi, seems Go Bar may be allergic to x48, contrary to what they announce. Pity, when device works it sounds unexpectedly good for a dongle. Unless there’s any other way to test 256@DSDx48… I wonder how iFi are using it themselfes?

Any other thoughts more than welcome ofcourse.

Can you share screenshot of your ‘Config’ web page? For all settings

Which HQP OS image did you try? There’s 2 of them

Correct, Roon is only x44.1k rates for DSD

I use the latest image 4.32.1 avx2, this image at the same PC works perfectly with MAY DAC, so I assume it is correct for my HW

Here is a screen with settings, i also played with DAC bits and Buffer, this has no effect.

Edit!! After some time (like 3-5 min) the PC screen brings a lot of gibbrish, but after that HQplayer OS behaves the same way as embedded - all DSDx44,1 is fine. I’m now gessing it is a device trick…

Mmmm interesting. Can you try to enable DoP for ALSA backend?

With Ubuntu the kernel is 5.15 which has some new native DSD things.

I don’t know if HQP OS is up to this kernel yet @jussi_laako ?

Maybe that’s why Ubuntu works with native DSD (although only for x44.1k) and not HQP OS

This is a new iFi product with new DAC chip and maybe different USB interface or something.

1 Like

Yes, tried with DoP. Both on embedded and HQplayer OS. It playes very very distorted sound in DSD, i suppose device wants to be “native”.

Looks like it, really. But i wonder how iFi did x48 - they must’ve tested it somehow…

Can you try DSD128?

In both native and DOP?

I asked some x48k questions to them a few years ago and I couldn’t reach anyone that had any idea.

The final reply was such DSD content doesn’t exist

1 Like

yes, tried that. DoP 128, that 5,6MHz is totally fine. 128x48 has exploded my head with enormously loud hiss. So no luck

Let see where it will lead me. Pity as i said, otherwise device sounds very well. But i’m also ready to return it, it’s not the cheapest either.

1 Like

They make a streamer that supports NAA so somebody there uses HQPlayer.

Maybe give their UK office a call and ask to specifically speak with the HQPLayer dude.

That is your only chance I’m afraid :grinning:

The emailing/support ticket will go forever in circles

At least until Jussi has one in his hands to test/troubleshoot

Seems like Cirrus Logic’s chip doesn’t support 3MHz family?

1 Like

this is what is stated in iFi Go Bar specs, attractive isnt it?

but we are living in the age of agile minimal viable products, all is being patched on the go. except boyeing airplanes which just fall because of badly tested software…

this bit of sarcasm goes to the fact that a) product was lunched end of may b) i already had to update firmware! less than a month from its lunch.

in conclusion, if I tweaked all the linux or windows settings correctly, they really have an issue with x48. but can it be fixed with next firmware update, or is that a true f.ck up of iFi marketing who did not know how cirrus chip is working?! but also this dingy sounds amazing… when it works, that is.