HQPlayer Desktop thread

I have been using Ubuntu for a long time.
Recently, I am also interested in fedora.
Which would you recommend, Ubuntu or fedora?
If so, and why, please let me know.

Judging by the signalyst webpage, Iā€™m going to guess Ubuntu is a good choice.

May 12 2022 Initial builds of HQPlayer 4 Desktop and HQPlayer 4 Embedded for Ubuntu 22.04 LTS ā€œJammy Jellyfishā€.

There is a build for fedora too, but I believe the hqplayer os used for embedded is Ubuntu based.

1 Like

HQP OS uses Fedora I think.

But if not using HQP OS, definitely recommend Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy LTS for running hqplayerd. You will have the most help/support on forums if you run into any issues.

And it is very stable in general, being an LTS.

1 Like

Whoops :grimacing:

Educational day today, I also learned that cashews are not nutsā€¦ they grow on an apple. Theyā€™re seeds! :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

Thanks, I will try it.
ubuntu is more common than fedora.
Now I am trying HQPlayer Embedded on Ubuntu.

LOL we all learnt something new today!

1 Like

HQPlayer OS is neither Ubuntu or Fedora. It is a custom OS built for the purpose of running HQPlayer Embedded. It is like ā€œdevice firmwareā€, it doesnā€™t have any package manager or such for installing software or similar.

If you want something long term stable, use Ubuntu LTS. It has new release every second year and somewhat pragmatic upgrade policy.

If you want a bleeding edge OS, use Fedora. It has about six months release cycle and keeps almost all the OS components on the very latest versions. If you donā€™t like to keep upgrading the OS every six months, then Fedora is not your thing.

So main difference is how recent everything is and how much maintenance effort it takes to keep up.

1 Like

ā€¦ TouchĆ©

Response, thank you.
I understand now.
I have decided to migrate from desktop to embedded on ubuntu.

Hi, question to the common pool of knowledge for Windows/HQP Desktop users.

Getting ready for a long summer trip away from home, I have been testing the ā€œmobileā€ HQPlayer set up on gaming laptop (with Nvidia card) which I happen to have around the house.

In my case:

• under windows the laptop can do 5EC@256x48 with (surprisingly) ā€œext3ā€ or ā€œgauss-xlaā€ due to CUDA, which uses 50-60% of GPU. But it starts to break up at 5ECv2 or 7EC/7ECv2 modulators @256x48 even with ā€œ-2sā€ filters.
  • using HQP OS, it can easily do 7ECv2@256, but certainly no CUDA at this caseā€¦

(note: above is in application to PCM-DSD with all common types of sources from 44,1/16 to 192/24)

Question is plain simple - how do you optimise Windows for the maximum HQP performace?

Iā€™ve seen Jussiā€™s comment somewhere, he just puts ā€œtop perfomanceā€ mode in Windows, but this is still not a barebone HQP OSā€¦

Before spending time trying to figure out if optimizing windows will workā€¦ have tried to boot hqplayer os on that laptop to see how far you can push it that way?

All the futzing around Iā€™ve done with hqplayer desktop and OSā€™sā€¦ my best result has been from running roon and hqplayer desktop on Ubuntu.

@jussi_laako
Hi jussi, using roon and hqplayer on Ubuntu has produced very positive results for me. I know achieving dsd512 playback the i9 10900k w/rtx3080ti did and will do all I throw at it, but Iā€™m having strange behavior with my older i9 9900k and gtx titan x.

Same album, one is 44.1 the other 192, the behavior of the gpu is more on/off with 44.1 than with the 192.

1. sinc-LI ASDM7ECv2 192 ā€”> DSD512
    No Dropouts

2. sinc-LI ASDM7ECv2 44.1 ā€”> DSD512
    Dropouts

Judging by the graphs, safe to say the titan x is the bottleneck in this scenario?

• Thinking a cost effective solution To solving this problem would be replacing the titan x with an rtx3060tiā€¦

• But also wondering, even more cost effective, would a rtx3060 (non ti) be up to the task?

Hi @ffk, thanks. Yeah, as I said above, I did exactly as you suggest at first place.

Used hqplayer OS as a benchmark:
HQplayer OS can do 7ECv2@256
Windows can do 5EC@256, but due to CUDA it can do ā€œext3ā€, for example.

Hence my question about possible Win optimisationsā€¦ if that is common practice around here.

What does that laptop have for cpu and nvidia card?

Overall, My experiences with windows were good @256 (but not a laptop) using i9 9900k and gtx titan x with clean install of windows and all the crap removed using windows debloater 10 and winaerotweaker to disable some other windows crap. Not sure how much/or even if itā€™ll help, getting more out of how windows delegates processor usage.

• Iā€™ve noticed that hqplayer doesnā€™t use cuda the same depending on the modulator and even the sample rate of the source and the type of music Iā€™m playing. My post above is a good example. The cuda usage for processing, for whatever reason, is much smoother with the 192 source than it is with the 44.1 source (and thatā€™s the same recording but just a different sampling rate). The 44.1 is resulting in dropouts for me.

• It wasnā€™t until I starting striving for DSD512 that I gave up on windows and went to ubuntu for roon server and hqplayer.

• Even when pushing hqplayer with roon core on the same ubuntu machine, I havenā€™t had any dropoutsā€¦ it only starts getting weird when a processor core locks up @100% or like the GPU example i posted above using sincLI 7ECv2 modulator @512 with the 44.1 source, which I think is not enough GPU.

I know it works with my 3080ti but that is an extreme comparison as were talking 3000 v5.2 cuda cores vs 10240 v8.6 cuda cores.

So many variables to consider. :exploding_head:

1 Like

thanks again!

imagine this! we are talking about i7 6700HQ with GTX 965M (4Gb)!!

HQP performance improvements in latest releases are just insane. I was not expecting anything serious when I decided to ā€œgive it a tryā€ on this old laptop, et voila, @256 with EC and gauss-xla or ext3!

Going to @512 with EC or ECv2 is of course another story, but not the purpose for my ā€œsummer HQP mobility projectā€ :beach_umbrella:

Thanks for the links to ā€œoptimisersā€. I had a look. Seems fairly drastic. Where we go for summer internet is limited to ā€œmobileā€ in roaming with its freaking unreasonable rates. So I also dont want to be caught with my pants down, when system is broken and no way to re-image or such. But it gives me a good idea what can be manually uninstalledā€¦ may be I better stop on that clean up stage and enjoy what I have already!

2 Likes

Might be time for a 12th gen Intel build with a noctua u12a, and a rtx30 series in one of these.
PC-TU150 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

You can certainly try Audiophile Optimizer for Windows. I use it with WS2019, but it works well with Windows 10 to reduce the number of background processes that are running.

JCR

1 Like

Most important thing is to set Windows updates to happen during a 6 hour window that you are not listening to music.

I set 1am to 7am.

I think thereā€™s 3rd party apps to completely disable it but I found just changing the settings helped a lot.

Close all unnecessary apps so that they donā€™t check for updates during listening.

Hope for the best

Better to buy a Macbook with Apple Silicon :grinning:

1 Like

Yeah, good for mobile solution. I imagine my wifeā€™s face packing a car to go to sea side - ā€œand this box also comes with us, darlingā€ hahahaha

@Jeffrey_Robbins thanks for advise! Looks very interesting, but also i understand it is sort of permanent solution with clean windows install. But if going clean installation anyway, would Ubuntu or other Linux not be the better (in terms of audio performance, that is) option?

@dabassgoesboomboom mac, yeah! its on my dream list of things i might want but can survive without. the point is - family budget! hahaha :slight_smile: thanks for the tip on updates, though.

In conclusion, for now before some drastic intrusion into the win installation I will do a good clean up and tweaking of background appsā€¦

2 Likes

Iā€™m on Pop!_OS 22.04, which is based on Ubuntu 22.04.

I have installed hqplayer4desktop_4.19.0-90avx2_amd64.deb from the Jammy download folder. HQPlayer Desktop works and I can use it from the HQPDcontrol app on my Anrdoid phone, but I can not start HQPlayer Connect. If I run hqplayer4client from the command line, I get error messages and then a crash.

Qt WebEngine resources not found at /share/qt6/resources. Trying parent directory...
Qt WebEngine resources not found at /share/qt6. Trying application directory...
Qt WebEngine resources not found at /usr/bin. Trying fallback directory... The application MAY NOT work.
Path override failed for key base::DIR_QT_LIBRARY_DATA and path '/home/david/.HQPlayerClient'
Installed Qt WebEngine locales directory not found at location /share/qt6/translations/qtwebengine_locales. Trying application directory...
Qt WebEngine locales directory not found at location /usr/bin/qtwebengine_locales. Trying fallback directory... Translations MAY NOT not be correct.
Path override failed for key ui::DIR_LOCALES and path '/home/david/.HQPlayerClient'
[0608/122158.273916:ERROR:resource_bundle.cc(911)] Failed to load /home/david/.HQPlayerClient/qtwebengine_resources_100p.pak
Some features may not be available.
[0608/122158.273950:ERROR:resource_bundle.cc(911)] Failed to load /home/david/.HQPlayerClient/qtwebengine_resources_200p.pak
[0608/122158.273960:ERROR:resource_bundle.cc(911)] Failed to load /home/david/.HQPlayerClient/qtwebengine_resources.pak
[0608/122158.273979:WARNING:resource_bundle_qt.cpp(119)] locale_file_path.empty() for locale
QQmlEngine::setContextForObject(): Object already has a QQmlContext
[226711:226711:0608/122158.350752:ERROR:extension_system_qt.cpp(121)] Failed to parse extension manifest.
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

I also installed it on another machine (also Pop!_OS 22.04) and I get the same problem. What am I doing wrong?