HQPlayer Desktop thread

Interesting. I never noticed that part about 1024 before. I have only seen this part so I didn’t even bother testing PCM 1024.

I’ll have to do some tests as soon as I get my amp back.

Yeah, I find it slightly inconsistent - in one table saying DSD512 in another DSD1024. And I recall your blues with non-USB connection - sounds like couple of things to test :slight_smile:

Have you possibly checked if there’s a firmware update? Recent update seemed to contain similar fix for the xDSD Gryphon (I have it installed, but not tested yet).

Most common reason is very limited bandwidth of the analog stages following D/A section (or lack of thereof). This is just like Topping D90SE which is implemented against ESS specs and suffers from severe performance degradation at higher rates because it’s analog section just cannot keep up.

I could write a book about this… But for past several decades there have been a lot of ignorance regarding wide bandwidth audio performance. In the analog days in late 70’s this brought us TIM distortion, now other similar issues (also with top of the line class-D amps).

2 Likes

@jussi_laako this GO BAR “blues” continues to stay anecdotical, I have reported DSDx48 issue via official channel of course, but also on several forums with iFi team presence who advertised GO BAR. On one of the forums I got a response like three weeks ago “oh-yeah, great news, new firmware is ready next wednesday, it’ll be fixing DSDx48! stay tuned!”. well… three wednesdays later nothing published, that “next” wednesday is yet to come. Well, at least the promise of a fix on promised feature, already not too bad :slight_smile:

1 Like

Actually… you are very right! I just had a look out of curiosity - 2nd-hand 3090 Ti 24GB below 1200 bucks! (scratching head…)

With 12900K with no GPU there are only very few filters that shutter at DSD512. I have not been testing them filters all of’em meticulosly. But… for what I see Sinc-Mx and Sinc-Ll without GPU are hick-ups at 512 on my hardware.

Wow! And Sinc-Mx and Sinc-Ll no shutters for DSD512!? Very interesting! My set up is only 16GB DDR5-6000 RAM, I wonder if that is a decisive factor, since you have 64GB … hm, what’s gonna be if I add more!? (scratching head again…)

EDIT: Just installed 32GB DDR5-6000, played with OC profiles here and there… no luck, Sinc Mx and Sinc LL at 512 shutter, and I have no clue what is missing. Visually CPU is not struggling. But something is missing…

PS: Just for fun tried poly-sinc-long-ip@DSD512, 4 minutes initialisation, hehe… but plays smooth afterwards.

PPS: Ha! In 3 minutes play we are thermal throttling with sinc-ip@DSD512 - do I see the smoke???

1 Like

Thank you for your input @dabassgoesboomboom I will see if I can find out, I will report back if I do
Regards

1 Like

Interestingly, some people have written that this Gustard has Denafrips Ares 2 ladder design - I don’t know how the Denafrips measure with DSD256? Similar or better than Gustard R26?

Gustard R26 new R2R DAC - DAC - Digital to Analog Conversion - Audiophile Style

I have not yet figured out how Denafrips converts DSD to analog… I have Ares II though.

1 Like

Another DAC that was rumoured to be ‘similar’ to Denafrips Ares :smile:

Measurements of Musician Pegasus R2R DAC | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

New review: A New Point Of Reference - Gustard R26 Discrete R-2R Ladder DAC Review (soundnews.net)The Best DAC I’ve heard below $3.5K - Gustard R26 Discrete Review (youtube.com)

If this is accurate, which one would you go with?

Neither CPU is out in the wild yet?

I might go for the 7950X but until its actually out in the wild and being tested with HQP, hard to know.

And it depends what you’re trying to do?

Going above DSD256 rates doesn’t automatically lead to better performance for every DAC. Some DACs yes, but with some DACs the higher DSD rate you go, the worse the performance.

I guess if you were going to build a new machine anyway and wanted it to be future proof for any future DACs that come, then it does make more sense to get the best performance for the dollar.

There’s a good recent post by Jussi and overall discussion here:

Affordable DAC That Doesn't Resample High Rate DSD? - Page 2 - DAC - Digital to Analog Conversion - Audiophile Style

1 Like

Did some testing tonight with the old R26. Cross posting from the other forum.

i2s from U18 DDC will not do PCM-DSD upsampling with HQP. It would play and just cut out on one channel and just stop outputting audio. No issues with direct usb to pc.

Found 48K DSD box checked works for 48K content.
And, sinc-Mx works with PCM-DSD upsampling and with my pc (6700k) can do up to DSD128 and ASDM7ECv2

Also tried LAN to switch and Roon found it no problem and saw Shairpoint too.

Problem was I couldn’t get Roon to play with HQP while in LAN mode. I had NAA selected in HQP output instead of Asio and Gustard.

1 Like

If you ever figure it out please let us know

I’ve settled on the fact that my Pontus II / Iris combo sounds better with native PCM in NOS mode than upsampling to DSD256 in HQPlayer now that the Pontus is fully broken in.

During the break in period, upsampling to DSD had the edge but now native PCM in NOS is the clear winner. Upsampling to DSD on the Pontus seems to have a loss of dynamics which makes me think it may be converting to PCM somehow or some other trickery that isn’t really suited for upsampling to DSD in HQP. I do enjoy the sound of native PCM in NOS more so than any other DAC I’ve owned, but if if I’m going to continue to use HQPlayer I’ll end up buying a Spring KTE.

1 Like

I’ve posted it this before on embedded section, but I want to share here as its more appropriate:

After help from @dabassgoesboomboom

I’ve decided to go for windows 10 and will update in the future for embedded HQPlayer.

I’m very happy to listen :headphones: to 7ECv2 modulators at DSD512x48!
My ifi NEO iDSD is at its full potential. Also a DAC mentioned on @jussi_laako list.

I can always also listen to DSD256 7ECv2 on my DAC-60 too. I’m using HQPDCONTROL app on two devices to do filter adjustments. So all good and stable!

My HQPlayer Desktop settings:

HQPlayer for Windows 10 for DSD512x48
Asrock Deskmini B660
Intel Core i7-12700K 12core 2.1Ghz
16GB RAM/256 SSD

(Inspired by @IgorSki to jump into DSD512 universe)

Roon + HQPlayer for Mac OS for DSD256
Mac Mini M1/8Gb RAM

2 NAA
1: Windows 10 ASIO for DAC-60 (Edit: Now using updated NAA that fully supports Accuphase DAC-60)
1: Rpi4 for ifi iDSD NEO (with iFi iPurifier3)

DAC DSD256
DAC-60 with ESS chip on Accuphase Integrated Amp (Does good with 7ECv2 filter)

DAC DSD512x48
Ifi NEO iDSD
(Great value / performance)

I highly recommend using HQPlayer (HQPDcontrol) App, as it saves you time from making changes on filters and settings. (I guess similar to the embedded version)

I have 2 HQPlayer zones. Easy to switch between but only one play at a time.

5 Likes

The other cool thing about this app is when you start to make different speaker room correction or headphones EQ profiles, you can use the app to switch between different matrix profiles.

So for my speakers room correction, I have a few different bass profiles created by room correction software (Audiolense XO)

I have ‘neutral’, +2dB and -2dB bass profiles

And while the music is playing I can change to these different bass profiles ‘on the fly’.

Older songs might need a bass boost, some new songs have way too much.

95% of the time I stay on my preferred neutral profile.

2 Likes

Wow! Definitely I want to learn that! Just touching the tip of the iceberg of HQPDCONTROL app!

Getting busy again :joy:

1 Like

No time to relax - many things to do :smile:

2 Likes

This is what u talking about right?

Cheers

1 Like

Update

I bought a May KTE instead :flushed:

4 Likes