HQPlayer Desktop thread

This happens only when a GPU is slower than CPU. Faster your CPU, faster GPU you should also get to have benefits.

Combining slow GPU with a fast CPU doesn’t make sense. On weaker CPUs, relatively weaker GPUs can also still make a positive difference.

Yep - as example, precisely this happens with my 5-7 years old gaming laptop: “HQP Desktop” station. Huge benefit from (rather old mobile nvidia) CUDA on ext3, gauss-xla and Sinc-Ll filters. Without CUDA it can not make these.

1 Like

What dacs out there would work then if mine doesn’t?
Is this exclusive to PCM-DSD only where MX doesn’t work because it worked on the X26 Pro with PCM?

T+A DAC 200, Holo Audio Spring 3 or May for example. Also many iFi models.

Most DACs don’t support DSD at multiples of 48k. There is no good technical reason for that if they support 48k and multiples for PCM, since they have the clocks. They just have such USB firmware deficiency they cannot switch clocks properly when doing DSD.

1 Like

How can you tell in the specs or what am I looking for?

As soon as rtx 4xxx releases 3xxx may drop, but even still, I’ve been seeing 3080’s for under $1000.

sinc-LI just needs a push to work at 512k on my stressed little i9-9900k. The old TitanX does just that. (gray checked). I’m also running RoonServer and ZFS on the same machine. So it’s stressed sometimes. But I stay away from sinc-Mx, sinc-L and xla… and I don’t worry about it.

With a 12900 or 13900k I think a GPU may be overkill for 2 channel 512DSD. I do know with my 10900k and RTX3080ti I could do anything 512DSD.

Many times you cannot. But you should assume it is not supported unless explicitly stated.

For certain DACs we know, for rest you don’t know until someone has tested. It is very unfortunate situation.

2 Likes

One of the heavier cases at the moment is if you want to run convolution for DSD256 sources…

Yes, I can on the system I described.
V

What’s your budget?

What Jussi suggested covers a nice range of different budgets.

iFi Neo iDSD is good.

1 Like

Add RME ADI-2 DAC to that list of DACs that support DSD48, which is a nice priceworthy DAC.

Yes only on the used market though. Used market includes many options.

RME’s AKM DAC model is no longer in production. They switched to ESS.

I don’t know if their Pro model has also switched to ESS DAC chips also.

I believe it has, because I remember Mathias talking about ESS ADC chip DC-block filter being poor with too much bass roll-off.

1 Like

Hi there, jumping in here for a quick question. @Eminent_One and @jussi_laako can HQplayer run in Gustard R26’s internal streamer by installing an NAA protocol in the microsd as it would through an ifi stream? At which bitrate if so?
I would like to use the r26 as an all in one streamer/dac for hqplayer’s DSD files, and I am not sure if that is feasible.
Thank you

Where is the microSD? Are you sure there is one?

Hi @Eminent_One , while Jussi has already explained general market situation, sad but true - DSDx48 remains as largely unknown niche for many…

I had another thought on your question and discussion related to Sinc-Mx. Two things…

1. Gustard R26 specs are looking very attractive to start with regards to DSD512 and DSD1024 - well, weather 1024is true or not, I don’t know, but it’s published

1. Sinc-Mx and DSDx48 - I think you can just try it in your current set-up ? Purely to know if R26 would digest DSDx48 you can use lightest modulator, say DSD5, and some light filters from ‘-2s’ group, just to see if your DAC can play these… What you would need for this test is to mark x48 DSD in settings, and adaptive rate, i suppose… And then you can try feeding 48x group of sources… like 48/24 or 96/24 into it. At least with this experiment you can see what your hardware can do. I can not predict the result - it may very from simple hiss noise if thing does not work, to some sort of music sound with artefact noises, like pops, clicks and bubbles, to anything else… or may be pure - if it supports it. And in my experience - you may want to try the wide range like DSD128x48, DSD256x48 and DSD512x48…

Here is my very limited experience with DSDx48 on different DACs over the past year, list is not full, but just to demonstrate the unpredicted:

1. Topping D50S, ESS chip - not announced in specs - supports native DSDx48 well to DSD512x48

2. FiiO KA3, ESS chip - not announced in specs - supports DSDx48 in DOP and in Native DSD 512x48

3. FiiO Q3, AKM chip - not announced in specs - sort of supports x48, that is - fine with DSD256x48, but only if DSD256x44,1 file has been played first, DSD512 is just badly implemented on my unit - bubbly noise… but it costed me peanuts, so i’m not really bothered…

4. iFi GO BAR - announced in specs - but doest not support DSDx48 !!! This is what I call a blunt lying.

5. HoloAudio MAY is a king and chews everything you drop into its NOS mode, so far… well I don’t have x32 or other funky rates to try, but I can tell that 44,48,88,96,174,192 and DSD64,128,256 sources are all digested either by feeding them directly or with HQP upsampling to different PCM and DSD/DSDx48 rates

The list may go on…

But main rule of thumb - the best HQPlayer recommendations are on Jussi’s site in recommended hardware section: https://www.signalyst.com/consumer.html

3 Likes

Is this microSD card slot?

Unless it is using RPi4/Compute Module 4 (doesn’t look like it from pics?) NAA OS won’t work.

But if DietPi (64-bit) could be run, then would be cool - you can install NAA.

Maybe you can ask Gustard if it supports DietPi on microSD ? And report back?

Not sure why this DAC takes a big performance hit with DSD256 vs PCM input:

https://www.l7audiolab.com/f/gustard-r26/

Well, I am not sure, but that’s what I thought, that this is like the sd slot in a raspberrypi.
Specially if they say that more protocols are to come, it would make sense.

this would be great actually, maybe from HQPlayer they are able to confirm as well

There’s a lot of ARM SoC devices on the market, not just RPi.

More protocols to come doesn’t mean RPi either - protocols can come to hundreds of ARM devices.

Jussi could confirm if you send him one. Faster and cheaper to just ask Gustard if it supports DietPi

DietPi is supported on a long list of SoC devices but you need to know exactly which this is

And if you are allowed to swap microSD card (voiding warranty for example)