HQPlayer Desktop thread

Interesting, I just searched “loop” in your Pro FS manual and the feature is not there

When it comes to your model I’ll ask again :slight_smile:

Firmware Update ADI-2 DAC 66 / 41 - Loopback (Page 1) — ADI-2 Pro & ADI-2 DAC — RME User Forum

As it is said there, if there’s a sample rate mismatch, input is muted.

Noted but HQPlayer Desktop on macOS can’t force sample rates to match automatically right?

For same technical reason it can’t work with Blackhole for example? It’s a CoreAudio limitation?

HQPlayer cannot know what sample rate the other side is using. Same goes for WASAPI on Windows and ALSA on Linux (although this can be worked around there). ASIO supports this, instead of application telling driver to use a certain rate, on ASIO driver can also tell the application which rate it is supposed to use. In addition, UAC2 standard doesn’t support this either, it also assumes host side to set the sampling rate, instead of device (but this can be also worked around through custom things).

1 Like

Thanks! That makes sense.

I’m just testing ADI-2 as input to HQPlayer again.

I changed NAA input and NAA output device names

Plays nicely.

I may get the much cheaper “ADI-2 FS” interface for this input task - I don’t need DSD support for input side. It’s limited to PCM 24/192 but still features SPDIF input and bi-directional USB.

I have a miniDSP USBStreamer feeding the ADI-2 TOSlink input at the moment.

Should I leave the miniDSP clock source as per below? RME screen shows “clock source = SPDIF opt”

Or should I change Audio MIDI miniDSP clock source to “TOSLink Clock” ?

You may ask why not use UAC2 input of the UpBoard?

It works fine with Tidal (Desktop and iOS) and Qobuz (Desktop and iOS).

But Apple Music Lossless results in static white noise burst with sample rate changes! Not fun with headphones.

I suspect this has something to do Apple Music bit-perfectness - I saw CA Forum did a study on this and found issues.

It causes HQP OS and Desktop to freak out.

Do you have Apple Music in Finland? Could you test this out? Either iOS or macOS (macOS you manually change sample rate in Audio MIDI). Both have same issue.

But Apple Music works fine using ADI-2 SPDIF input… using iOS (my iPad at my desk) no issues with auto sample rate switching. Strange that UAC2 input results in white noise.

Can still hear the music plus garbled noise sound.

Past couple weeks with the static burst when changing samples rates was running NAA OS for UAC2 input on the UpBoard.

Just today I have put HQP OS on the UpBoard and NAA UAC2 input works better with Apple Music on iOS today.

Must be something different between NAA OS and HQP OS?

Maybe the running in RAM with NAA OS is the problem? Only with Apple Music though.

I had 1 garbled sound in 1 hour.

Then I set fixed HQP DSD output rate instead of adaptive rate and seems to be better again - no issues so far.

Hi, not specifically a Roon related post…is it possible to send Spotify output to HQPlayer? I mostly use Roon for listening, but there are some albums I don’t own that I need Spotify for. On a Windows machine, I’ve tried Virtual Cable, but can’t seem to get things to work. Eg. Spotify output set to PC, PC sound set to Virtual Cable, HQPlayer input set to Virtual Cable and HQPlayer output set to NAA. Spotify plays and the time counter ticks along, but when I press play on HQPlayer, the time counter does not increase. Thank you!

1 Like

HI hammer, I have a thread for that with a few solutions:

1 Like

When USBStreamer is used as output, it must be se to “Internal Clock” and when using as input, it must be set to “TOSLINK Clock”. On S/PDIF, source is always the master clock and destination device is clock slave.

However, if you use ADI-2 to produce clock for the USBStreamer, then you can use “TOSLINK Clock” when running it as source towards ADI-2. This ensures there’s no clock drift between the two, since ADI-2 provides clock for “upstream”. This means you need to have two Toslink cables connected to the USBStreamer. One for input side for the clock input and one for output side for data output. Pay attention to correctly configure ADI-2 clocking in such case!

1 Like

Can’t HQPlayer see what sample rate Blackhole is set to in Audio MIDI and adjust quickly before outputting sound?

Or do you means on macOS there is no mechanism that lets HQPlayer see any of the Audio MIDI settings?

I’vs read this 30 times and tried to think of an example scenario / system

Can you share an example of this using ADI-2, a Mac, a USBStreamer and Tidal Desktop app on Mac

So Tidal on Mac plays to ADI-2 over USB which outputs SPDIF

Then ADI-2 SPDIF output feeds USBStream SPDIF input which then connects to ??? NAA input (USB)?

I get lost with what kind of usage example would need 2 x TOSlink cables with USBStreamer

I haven’t quite got my PhD in HQPlayer just yet :grinning:

2 Likes

I feel like this should be a real thing…

2 Likes

I am close… yet so far :frowning_face:

:grinning:

1 Like

PhD == Piled Higher and Deeper. Just keep shoveling, you’ll get there! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m here talking about UAC2 input and SPDIF inputs into HQPlayer thinking I am “advanced”.

Meanwhile at Jussi’s lab, he’s already got neural input in development

He’s on another level ! :crazy_face:

1 Like

@jussi_laako today also noticed adaptive set to “grey” has no issues - even though DAC is ADI-2, everything gets output to DSD256x48k rate.

So adaptive rate output set to grey and unchecked works.

For some reason forced family rate rate (box ticked) results in this garbled music issues with UAC2 input with UpBoard.

Is this something you can reproduce, with changing music content sample rate and forced family rate, with your ADI-2?

Seems to be happiest outputting to one sample rate. Only issue with this is not really technical but higher CPU loading

Edit: testing for 4 hours listening today with Apple Music iOS today feeding UpBoard UAC2 input (running HQP OS for NAA), not a single issue with changing all sorts of sample rates with HQP output set to fixed rate DSD256x48k. And as soon as I change to auto family rate enabled, I get the issue of a mixture of static noise+music.

I don’t know if this is due to some clocking issue between UAC2 input and ADI-2? I’m glad I found a very stable solution but it comes at cost of higher CPU load and curious if you can reproduce.

That’s an ugly hack… There is no clear unambiguous binding between some loopback devices, at CoreAudio level, apart from internals of the driver. Not necessarily even possible, if device is used in exclusive mode. I don’t know if for example output rates set by HQPlayer are reflected there at all.

Sorry, this is not directly HQPlayer related and I just don’t have time for it.

This is fair.

What about the HQPlayer issue I raised above?

i.e. noise with music, when “adaptive auto rate” box is ticked, with UpBoard UAC2 input and when output is either NAA OS or HQP OS (NAA mode) connected to ADI-2. Problem is when music is changing sample rates.

Problem disappears when “adaptive auto rate” box is un-ticked. I wanted to make sure it wasn’t just a ‘once time’ thing so I’ve been testing for multiple days now and reach same results.

Is it something you will try to reproduce at your end? I’m not asking for a timeline of course.

Likely stopping and restarting the output along with pipeline re-initialization causes this. Usually you get such when the clocking is out of sync. But I don’t know if I can do anything about it…

1 Like