HQPlayer Desktop thread

Windows? Please make sure you have “High performance” or “Ultimate performance” power profile selected in Control Panel → Power. When there’s no display output, Windows thinks that you are not using the machine and it can go to low power sleep.

2 Likes

By the way, for my headless Windows servers I use an EDID spoofer (1080p, cheap from Amazon) and TightVNC as a remote desktop server. This also keeps Windows from messing with things since it doesn’t have any idea about remote desktop. And it thinks the display is always connected and powered on.

3 Likes

With a script launched from my armchair to stop/activate the TightVNC service on the server.
Like this :wink:

powershell.exe psservice64.exe \\192.168.1.59 -u USER -p PASS stop tvnserver

Same thing to reload :

powershell.exe psservice64.exe \\192.168.1.59 -u USER -p PASS start tvnserver

I use the inbuilt Remote Desktop from Roon core with W10 Pro to the HQP machine with W11 Pro. Why use Tight vs RD?

Windows remote desktop is not the best and can trigger some video issues. I use Splashtop between Window machines.

1 Like

Remote Desktop is attempting to do all kinds of strange stuff, such as redirecting audio from the server to the client. It is overall alters the Windows behaviour depending whether it sees you are connected or not.

I use AnyDesk to control my headless server. No problems so far.

1 Like

Just got a Red a couple days ago and getting an annoying issue with Roon losing control of audio device message too often. This never happened before. Any ideas?

Can you describe your setup? Red running NAA OS? Where’s HQPlayer and Roon situated in this picture?

HQP NAA 2.1 enhanced on W11 PC ethernet to ATT BG-320 router
Red connected to ethernet switch in living room
Roon core connected to same switch I have always used.

Is this with the stock firmware, or with my NAA OS?

Could be a network issue. But I recommend to keep HQPlayer log file enabled and when problem appears, take a look what happened at that point.

1 Like

Stock firmware.

I sent a log.

If you have a spare microSD you can also try my NAA OS image for comparison. It is pretty quick to try.

Thanks for the suggestions. I am going to try the other antivirus options in your email when I get home first.
I am just surprised this just started with the Red and never before as I have only ever used Defender and its so easy to use as it’s baked in and never had the need to use another or had issue.

Cross posting from another forum, but since you aren’t there, I wanted to update you on the situation. @jussi_laako

So, I tried the two antivirus suggestions, first was ESET on the Roon core alone. Found core lost connection with device after about an hour.
Next, tried ESET on HQPlayer W11 machine and that was a nightmare. Battled corrupt drive through 6am last night and gave up. This morning, I was finally able to get to safe mode to do a system restore.
After getting back up and running tried another recommendation on the HQP machine with F-Secure and lost device after 40 seconds of playback.

I’ve never had such a harrowing experience with Roon/HQPlayer before.

I know Jussi has offered his NAA image. However, I would like to just use the stock Red system and standard Windows Defender that never had an issue before.

Anyone have any other suggestions to try short of replacing stuff that worked before?

On my servers, I have either F-Secure or eset running, so those I know won’t cause trouble. Never had any problems with either one. Win10 or Win11. Kaspersky also worked in the past, but I don’t want to use it anymore. So this is why I said these are known to work. And it is also known that the Microsoft’s Defender is causing trouble because it inserts itself between Roon and HQPlayer data stream. Even if the two are in the same machine.

Just to check, you have stock Win10/Win11 machines, without any modifications using any “optimization” tools?

All Windows machines set to High Performance or Ultimate Performance power profile? Display or EDID spoofer connected?

If you have Roon in a separate machine, is it out of question if you would try to boot up HQPlayer OS on your HQPlayer server machine? This would help troubleshooting in a way that it would tell if the problem is related to Windows setup on HQPlayer machine in some way. Or if it’s related to network or something on the Roon server.

1 Like

I just sent screen of latest HQP OS log as I don’t know how to grab and send that, but it is still happening.

Prior to the HQP OS test, I was on High Performance for both machines. I was not remoting in, I ran a straight hdmi cable to the display for testing and there are not other enhancements at play except the new HQP machine is on XMP1 as suggested and no overclocking on either.

One of those weeks…

So I installed 1.8 Legacy on the Ubuntu drive that has hqp and couldn’t figure out why it refused to play smoothly with all the settings that worked previously using a remote core.

How annoying, then decided to run nvtop. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

No GPU to monitor. :scream:

Then I realized I pulled the Nvidia RTX card cause I was using macOS previously.
masOS + Nvidia = :-1:

Note to self… cuda only works when you have the graphics card with cuda installed in the computer. :joy: :rofl: :joy:

Check please! Table 1.

:exploding_head:

4 Likes

I have couple of machines with dual graphics. Intel or AMD integrated graphics + Nvidia GPU. With display attached to the integrated one.

My laptop was actually initially pretty tricky to setup, I spent a long time trying to figure out why the screen went blank on boot instead of displaying login… Reason was that Ubuntu 20.04 was trying to do graphics through Nvidia instead of integrated AMD GPU. It needs special switching to switch the display output between the two GPUs. So I had to force it to use AMD driver. Now Ubuntu 22.04 is more clever and didn’t have such problems out of the box. (I remember having similar issues long ago with Lenovo laptop with Intel integrated graphics + Nvidia discrete GPU).

On Windows, the platform drivers switch between the GPUs on the fly depending on graphics load. But it is also possible to force either one.

Sometimes it is useful to leave the separate GPU just for computing and display output to an integrated GPU.

1 Like